Tires on a Lease Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question on a Mercedes Lease return with 30,000 miles.

My sons who is about to be deployed with the military, his car has pretty low tread tires. What do they expect...ie shouldn't the tires be bald.

Options
4 real cheap tires. Is that OK
4 Used tires

Does anyone know the real rules?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would check out this link.
https://www2.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/resources/misc/LeaseEndGuide.pdf

Here's what I found regarding tires/wheels:
Tires & Rims Mechanical & Electrical
Aftermarket Modifications
The following vehicle conditions will result in excess wear and
use charges:
• Wheels that are cracked or bent
• Wheels that weren't originally equipped with the vehicle at the time
of delivery (upgraded aftermarket wheels installed by an authorized
Mercedes-Benz dealership are acceptable)
• Rims that are bent or have breaks (regardless of size)
• Tires with less than 1/8" tread depth
• Tires that have sidewall damage (which includes plugs and cuts),
bulges, or exposed cords
• Tires that are mismatched: Tires on each axle that are not the same size,
brand, model, type and/or speed rating, and equivalent in quality and
performance to the original tires
• Spare tire and rim (or inflation kit for those vehicles without a spare tire)
that are missing or not in operable condition

Before I turned in my Nissan Leaf I put on 4 Goodyear Viva 3 tires from Wal-Mart. I figured even though they were the cheap made for Wal-Mart model they were also a major name brand and I woudn't get flack for a cheap no name tire. The inspector basically took a quick look, saw they were black, round and had tread and moved on. No drama at all.

Yes but it would suck to get 4 and be told you still have to pay as they are not equal
15.gif

Is he just going to walk away or lease another?

From my own experience with the brand:

-If he's going to walk I recommend buying a used (cheapest) set of equivalent tires which have at least the min tread. The tires just need to be the proper size and have the same performance specs as the originals. Brand is irrelevant as long as the tires are all the same. Just be forewarned there's usually a fee associated with walking. It's disclosed in the lease contract.

Last edited:
Take the car in and have the finance manager that handles turn-ins look the car over.

Why ask here when you can ask the person that will handle the paperwork. With his orders in hand they may well just have him sign and be done.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Take the car in and have the finance manager that handles turn-ins look the car over.

Why ask here when you can ask the person that will handle the paperwork. With his orders in hand they may well just have him sign and be done.

I did call. They said Mercedes has agents, not related to the dealer ,who inspect the car at your location. The dealer is just the drop off.
They also said you call a MB number to get an appointment so you can't call the agent.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Is he just going to walk away or lease another?

From my own experience with the brand:

-If he's going to walk I recommend buying a used (cheapest) set of equivalent tires which have at least the min tread. The tires just need to be the proper size and have the same performance specs as the originals. Brand is irrelevant as long as the tires are all the same. Just be forewarned there's usually a fee associated with walking. It's disclosed in the lease contract.

As I posted a bit back, we bought him a 09 BMW 328i for 4900 at the auction I work at. Really is a 1 older female owner with all services done.
When he gets back after a year he wants a 2016 LEXUS IS 350 that should be about 21000 at auction as a cash purchase.
He does not want it sitting for a year.

Last edited:
I've been car shopping recently, including looking at some of the used cars available on lots. I suspect that a lot of them are previously leased and then had their tires replaced with the absolute cheapest tire that would meet requirements. Many of them had practically brand new tires, but often off-brands like Primewell or Barum. Still - they were new if someone really doesn't want to replace them.

If the tires have legal tread (or lease-return standards) then they should accept the vehicle as is...as mentioned it all depends on the lease terms and specifications....I would give those a thorough read.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
I have a question on a Mercedes Lease return with 30,000 miles.

My sons who is about to be deployed with the military, his car has pretty low tread tires. What do they expect...ie shouldn't the tires be bald.

Options
4 real cheap tires. Is that OK
4 Used tires

Does anyone know the real rules?

Thanks

Wife was close to returning a Hyundai and they had the xx/32 specified in the lease agreement. I think it was 4/32. (From memory). It was $75 or $100 per tire if any were less than the minimum. But who knows how picky the guy accepting the vehicle back will be? Will he have a gauge or take a quick look for treadbars. I was told they all go to auction. Even if its a cream puff and dealer would like to see it on his lot.

Luckily my wife's daughter totaled vehicle a week before we would need to return vehicle. Worked out better financially than returning it.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I did call. They said Mercedes has agents, not related to the dealer ,who inspect the car at your location. The dealer is just the drop off.
They also said you call a MB number to get an appointment so you can't call the agent.

Oh wow. I did not know that.

I wish I knew for sure.

Also, Seems like being the mercedes inspector would be a decent job for a retired guy.

I'm sure some get certified and some get auctioned. I see them both.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that if you're going to lease again from the same manufacturer that they will Overlook many defects in the car you're trading in. If you're not going to lease again from that manufacture then naked finicky about the turning in of the car

When I handled lease returns at my BMW center the rule was that tires had to have over 4/32 tread depth and have the same speed rating as OEM. They also had to be run flats if the OEM tires were run flats. We would sometimes waive tread depth if the lesser was a repeat customer and/or the car was in exceptional shape. I inspected more than a few cars with brand new Chinese Ditchfinder Specials- where the lessee went to Billy Bob's High Teck Tire Service and was told "BMW don't care what kinda tars ya put on the car."
Wrong...

I was wondering about lease return tire quality standards too. Interesting how it can vary all over the place depending on where you have leased from. Mine started out thick enough with a tread for a warranty of 60k miles and mine is a 39k mile lease, so unless they develop problems and have to be replaced, I will have at least 1/8" tread left when turning it in anyway.

LOL>>BMW don't care what kinda tars ya put on the car."

We joke about that all the time. Some southerners some yankees. Winders. Batree

If I ever lease a car, I want to drive it like I stole it. But I would pull the OE tires off early, get something better, and save OE tires to install back on the the car when the lease is up. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back