Auto Stop Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by honeeagle

If it is turned off permanently there will be no EPA/cafe credit

honestly the pile of ladies undergarments in a twist is astounding

Exactly correct on both counts. It takes less than a second to click the button.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by CKN
That's really a silly statement. The things is-the exact same statements were made about ABS-"What if it fails or doesn't work properly?".I'm sure maybe there are failures of ANY SYSTEM. But it's a percentage with many zeros behind the decimal point.

ABS can fail and your brakes will still work. A car can fail to start for a multitude of different reasons. It's not, "techno phobia". It's reality. And it doesn't have to fail to start either. Just hesitate, and or start hard. Happens all the time. Yes, even in these brand new, computerized wonder mobiles.

You see cars every day that require cranking for several seconds before they start. Especially in very hot weather. These things require an engine to start dozens of times. Perhaps hundreds in a single trip any distance in heavy traffic. With the A/C, and God knows what else running full tilt. Now, all of a sudden, you're going to tell me it has become a total mathematical improbability, that in one of those hundreds or thousands of times, that the engine doesn't fire off in the first Nano second it's supposed to? And instead cranks for several seconds before the engine starts, and the car moves. And how many people are going to change their driving habits because of these things? Most won't until they get into a wreck with one.

All these things have to do, is what they've already done. And that is make people uncomfortable driving them. Nothing else matters. People are not going to be so thrilled to pay $50K+ for a vehicle with one of these mechanical abortions in it, so they can have sweaty hands making left turns with it in heavy traffic. Regardless of how many zeros you want to put after the decimal point. All in some silly attempt to convince them how fantastically dependable it is, at saving them 15 cents worth of gas driving to Wal-Mart.

The result is what you are already seeing in this thread...... They hate them, pure and simple. You can carry on all you want about how wonderful these things are. The fact remains there is already a very successful market for devices that override them. They're selling like hotcakes because people who are stuck with vehicles that have these things, despise them. How many modules do you see being manufactured to override ABS systems, or seat belt alarms?

https://www.smartstopstart.com/

What's silly is not only the way these manufacturers are trying to come up with these idiotic ways to over complicate things. All in some Rube Goldberg attempt to try and save a few cents worth of gas. But how the consumer market is buying into it hook, line, and sinker. Only because it's being shoved down their throat. As if it's supposed to taste better that way.

It's painfully obvious that your are unaware of how these systems are designed to operate and instead rely on hyperbole/pie-in-the-sky situations which will never materialize.

There's one type of driver which will never like start-stop and it's the individual who drives like he's trying to catch a fire, an individual who will dart out into the smallest space in traffic in order to arrive at his destination a whole 60 seconds sooner.

Last edited:

I like how these always turn into black vs white, good vs evil where the "good" guys readily defend any new technology and dismiss any complaints from the other side by the "Anti-tech troglodytes that have their panties in a twist."

Theres no justifiable reason to not like any new tech put out by our corporate masters people, just eat it all up like the good boys and girls you all are. /sarcasm

What might be more interesting is finding out how many of the members who are adamantly against these systems actually own a vehicle with the system.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws

I like how these always turn into black vs white, good vs evil where the "good" guys readily defend any new technology and dismiss any complaints from the other side by the "Anti-tech troglodytes that have their panties in a twist."

Theres no justifiable reason to not like any new tech put out by our corporate masters people, just eat it all up like the good boys and girls you all are. /sarcasm

It's not good vs evil. If you don't know how the technology works then how can you make an assessment of whether it's "good" or "bad" ? I doubt anyone would say fuel injection is bad, but back in the day it was....."Muh, EPA, fuel injection is bad. Carburetors all the way man!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
What might be more interesting is finding out how many of the members who are adamantly against these systems actually own a vehicle with the system.

I'm lukewarm over them. From my experience the system is the least abrupt on 4 cylinder engines and on gas only drivetrains during the "shoulder season" (spring/fall) the system can introduce humidity into the cabin before engine restarts. I wonder if hybrids (gas/electric) which have s/s are programmed to continue to turn the compressor even when running on gas.

It
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I'm lukewarm over them. From my experience the system is the least abrupt on 4 cylinder engines and on gas only drivetrains during the "shoulder season" (spring/fall) the system can introduce humidity into the cabin before engine restarts. I wonder if hybrids (gas/electric) which have s/s are programmed to continue to turn the compressor even when running on gas.

You and I agree on this. If I had the choice I would not take the start/stop system. With that said, if the vehicle I like has the system is it a deal killer? For me, no.

Start/stop is just one small aspect of a vehicle. Had I been one year later in buying my Mazda I would have gotten the cylinder deactivation. Would that be a deal killer? Probably not.

I learn to adapt rather than run away.

(In Europe the Mazda has both start/stop and cylinder deactivation. Oh the humanity! ...±

Why, when there is still a choice (and in many cases there is), would one willingly subject themselves to a technology they dislike? As I noted, I've driven it, and didn't like it. Our new RAM doesn't have it.

I'm a guy that loves technology. Both of our vehicles are loaded and have all the goodies in them, but I will go out of my way to avoid stop/start because I find it annoying. The narrative being spun here that one has to be a walker-pushing luddite or technophobe to dislike start/stop is quite frankly, ridiculous.

As somebody else touched-on, we've had various innovations over the years that didn't stick around because they were more trouble than they were worth. Automatic seatbelts, 4-wheel steering, flip-up headlights, telescoping antennas....etc.

We've also had innovations that were before their time: Automatic high-beams, MDS, Infotainment...etc. These have all come back now that technology has improved.

We've had innovations/improvements that have made cars better. The relocation of the high beam switch to the column somebody mentioned, blind spot monitoring, tire pressure monitoring, HID and LED headlights, road following headlights, automatic wipers, automatic headlights, auto-dimming mirrors, stability control, traction control, ABS...etc.

And then we've had innovations that have been less than perfect thus far: Direct Injection stands out in my mind as one that continues to cause issues and nobody has really perfected it. CVT's have been hit and miss, the 8+spd transmissions have proven problematic for many OEM's, but these will stick around as the assumption is their benefit outweighs the current issues being experienced.

We'll see if stop/start sticks around.

There's one type of driver which will never like start-stop and it's the individual who drives like he's trying to catch a fire, an individual who will dart out into the smallest space in traffic in order to arrive at his destination a whole 60 seconds sooner.

Or the type who came from a family of 5 where a $25000 earning year was great year and the idea of a $50K truck dies every stop light is a moronic.

We hate it. Our Jeep has it. We have to disable it at every start-up. An aftermarket company sells a device that will always remember the last setting. It's $130. I'll continue to push a button.

Originally Posted by ekpolk

* Yes, I've seen it -- there's actually a little speaker in front of the radiator, between the two horns, that emanates the artificial car noise! I'd so love to replace the phony "polite car approaching" sound with that of a straight-pipe Harley!!!
laugh.gif

Now that would be funny - I would use the sound of a jet engine if it was me.

And it's funny, Teslas don't have the "fake car" sounds - but Toyota decides to do that.

It's painfully obvious that your are unaware of how these systems are designed to operate and instead rely on hyperbole/pie-in-the-sky situations which will never materialize. There's one type of driver which will never like start-stop and it's the individual who drives like he's trying to catch a fire, an individual who will dart out into the smallest space in traffic in order to arrive at his destination a whole 60 seconds sooner.

Stop trying to turn this thing into a Moon shot. It's not. You come to an intersection and stop. Your engine stops. That's it. That's what it does. When you remove your foot from the brake it starts again.... You hope. It might start immediately. It might crank for a few seconds before it does. It might hesitate. Cars do it all the time. New and old.

While all that is happening you are waiting. The traffic around you isn't. If you are trying to make a left turn into opposing traffic, like thousands of people do every day, in every city and town across this country, it can cause a significant delay in the time that happens. That can easily place a driver into a dangerous situation he or she didn't plan on being in. And don't be so naïve to think that is such a, "pie in the sky" situation. If you do you obviously haven't driven much. Let alone driven in heavy rush hour traffic.

Cars don't start instantaneously. Every time, all the time. And don't be so foolish to come in here and try to tell me, or anyone else they do. It has nothing to do with, "darting out into traffic". Or, "driving like you trying to catch a fire". Or any of your other dopey, insulting descriptions. As I said, these things make people uncomfortable. As a result they don't like them or want them. I don't blame them. You do. Perhaps you enjoy having things you don't like, want, or need shoved down your throat. Most people don't.

Read this thread. You have dozens of people here alone who own them, and despise them. You have others who would never own a car with it. I quoted them all in a single post. Others have chimed in on their dislike of them in pages since. Are you going to sit there on your technology worshiping rear end, and tell us we're all wrong? Because you seem to think we just can't figure this silly contraption out like you can.

This is just one thread in a single forum. How do you think these stupid things would fare in a nationwide survey? Better or worse? How about if everyone took a test drive? Do you think that would help sell them? There is no "advantage" to having these things. And the only reason they were put into cars in the first place, is for a supposed few cents worth of fuel savings, that many argue they don't provide. That's it. That's their giant claim to fame.

Car companies wouldn't even be messing with them, if it wasn't for government mandates regarding fuel mileage that is forcing them to. And when you get down to it, that's all this thing is. Another gadget to pacify the government...... Not the consumer. Except for you, and a few others who worship every do dad they stick into cars. Along with the people who got stuck with these abortions. And who now want to try to save face by telling everyone just how fabulous they are. When in reality, they never would have purchased them if they had the choice.

No problem, just install one of those start/stop eliminator kits, then you don't have to press the auto start stop button anymore.

I wonder how many of posters actually own a vehicle with start/stop?

As I stated earlier our F150 with 56,xxx mi. has worked flawlessly since new, as soon as brake peddle pressure decreases the engine is idling smoothly, long before your foot ever reaches accelerator pedal. Also in high/low ambient temps the engine won't let cabin temp alter from where thermostat is set.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1

As I stated earlier our F150 with 56,xxx mi. has worked flawlessly since new, as soon as brake peddle pressure decreases the engine is idling smoothly, long before your foot ever reaches accelerator pedal. Also in high/low ambient temps the engine won't let cabin temp alter from where thermostat is set.

I do now; the 2015 BMW 328i has it. Fortunately it came with an "Off" button, and the car remembers the setting from the last time the car was on, so I don't have to re-push it every time I start the engine. I'll admit that it is relatively seamless, the few times I've left it on. But to be sitting at a light and see your tach needle sink to zero -- that's disturbing.

I don't know if anyone in this thread has mentioned it, but what about the wear on the starter if you use the auto stop-start all the time for several years?

And I don't know if it really saves all that much gas.

Originally Posted by rocky8314
Originally Posted by spasm3
Had a chevy rental with it. I hated it. Would not buy one unless it could be bypassed or deselected.

Was my first time driving something with Auto stop start..I know ford/chrysler have buttons to disable...GM just jams it down your throat with no option..GM is crossed off when it comes to future cars.

The new Buick Regal Sportback, which I was checking out, has it, but it has to be turned off each time you start the engine. No permanent disable feature. That bothered me.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

I do now; the 2015 BMW 328i has it. Fortunately it came with an "Off" button, and the car remembers the setting from the last time the car was on, so I don't have to re-push it every time I start the engine. I'll admit that it is relatively seamless, the few times I've left it on. But to be sitting at a light and see your tach needle sink to zero -- that's disturbing.

I don't know if anyone in this thread has mentioned it, but what about the wear on the starter if you use the auto stop-start all the time for several years?

And I don't know if it really saves all that much gas.

Check your particular system to see if it uses the starter. Some systems are precise in how the pistons are set when stopped and use self ignition to restart.

I really do not like it on my current vehicle, but drive others where it is not that bad.

My Range Rover TDV6, a diesel, stops and starts with a noticeable shudder, especially on starting. The system cannot be set to off, it must be disabled each time you start the car, irritating. It also does add a smell delay to quick starts where it can be a bit disconcerting and I am not that comfortable with the extra cycles on the starter...

That said, the X5 we keep around for the In Laws has a great system that is hardly noticeable, and can be set to disabled.

All in all, it is a solution to a created problem; that of excessive mileage standards leading to decreasing marginal returns for additional complexity and cost to the consumer.

Agreed. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7 still purrs like the day we bought it with 41,000 on it now. I bought it knowing it had the system on it and an understanding of how it worked. I'm still happy with it. A few on this board never admit that someone might actually like it, but it is what it is.

I get the feeling that some think every start of this system is like a cold start. On the F150, I can state that it is not - the engine is primed and ready to go.

I haven't owned a vehicle ever that I wasn't confident would start. (At least not on a warm start, and the Auto start stop on the F150 does not engage until the coolant temp is at least 130F. Arctic cold starts are another matter...) The last vehicle I drove like that was equipped with a carb - not fuel injection. And that was 25 years ago.

There are plenty of studies showing that these do save gas in typical driving cycles. I can state it saves me gas - around 5+% in my case, with a decent amount of stop and go driving. You can lead a horse to water...

Some folks want to make a mountain out of a molehill, and are convinced their opinion is the only correct one (as evidenced in this thread and in others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back