Why The Price Increase : Fram Ultra #9688 (Hyundai) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Frams filters have gone up across the board in all the Walmarts around here. They are now essentially the same cost as m1 for the fu.
So now you have a filter that isn't great in price is made cheaply with an ultra thin metal can.
And what proof that these "ultra thin metal can" filters are a problem? And how are they made cheaply?

I guess they can keep marketing by the claimed filter efficiency. which is, hmm who even knows the truth about it really and does it even really matter.
So they are lying on their filtration numbers, and I guess anyone that publishes their filtration specs are lying also?

I suppose they can carry on about a wire backing because well it sounds good. But in reality it just means the media cannot keep a sufficient structure on it's own so it needs a backing.
What an ignorant comment. The media can not stand against the force of the oil flow, so it is reinforced so that it can work properly. Why is that an issue?

My point is-whats the point really in buying fram anymore?
For you, apparently none. For others, a quality filter that is still cheaper than other equal filters (Amsoil and Royal Purple are the only other 2 that are equal IMO).
And if Fram is going up due to steel cost as mentioned above, then others will be going up soon as well.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Frams filters have gone up across the board in all the Walmarts around here. They are now essentially the same cost as m1 for the fu.
So now you have a filter that isn't great in price is made cheaply with an ultra thin metal can.
And what proof that these "ultra thin metal can" filters are a problem? And how are they made cheaply?

I guess they can keep marketing by the claimed filter efficiency. which is, hmm who even knows the truth about it really and does it even really matter.
So they are lying on their filtration numbers, and I guess anyone that publishes their filtration specs are lying also?

I suppose they can carry on about a wire backing because well it sounds good. But in reality it just means the media cannot keep a sufficient structure on it's own so it needs a backing.
What an ignorant comment. The media can not stand against the force of the oil flow, so it is reinforced so that it can work properly. Why is that an issue?

My point is-whats the point really in buying fram anymore?
For you, apparently none. For others, a quality filter that is still cheaper than other equal filters (Amsoil and Royal Purple are the only other 2 that are equal IMO).
And if Fram is going up due to steel cost as mentioned above, then others will be going up soon as well.

What kindof proof do you need to show that thicker sheet metal is stronger than thinner?

I dunno if the claimed efficiency is true. I suppose it's doctored up as much as they can get away with.(not that any company might not do the same). Im also not sure that it matters much anyway.

you call me ignorant for sayingthe exact same thing you just said in different words about why the filter media has a wire backing. Good one!
My point about to wire backing is it's neededed. Marketing trys to make it look like its somehow above and beyond necessary. It's just sounds good to say "wire backed synthetic media" even though stand alone non wire backed syntheticly blended media is simply better at sustaining it's own structure without it.
The wire backing is just a part of the media and it isn't anything special. But people will eat that marketing up all day everyday.

What kindof proof do you need to show that thicker sheet metal is stronger than thinner?
But when is thick too thick? Why aren't filter cans made of 1/4" steel? Why not 1/2 inch?
Tests are done to see what thickness will not fail, and then a margin of safety/error is factored in. Making it thicker than it needs to be is a waste of money (so yes, it is made cheap in that aspect)

I dunno if the claimed efficiency is true. I suppose it's doctored up as much as they can get away with.(not that any company might not do the same). Im also not sure that it matters much anyway.

That is the reason for having standardized testing. No idea if anyone checks to make sure it meets the standard they say it does, but seems too risky to lie about.
I do agree to a point, does it really matters if it is 99.9% to 20 microns first pass or 80% first pass. Most OME are much worse than that.

you call me ignorant for sayingthe exact same thing you just said in different words about why the filter media has a wire backing. Good one!
My point about to wire backing is it's neededed. Marketing trys to make it look like its somehow above and beyond necessary. It's just sounds good to say "wire backed synthetic media" even though stand alone non wire backed syntheticly blended media is simply better at sustaining it's own structure without it.
The wire backing is just a part of the media and it isn't anything special. But people will eat that marketing up all day everyday.

OK, I get what your saying now. I took it initially that you were dissing the fact that the media required metal backing (the "ignorant" part being you not understanding the media properties needing some type of backing), thus meaning the media itself was cheap, but you were talking about the advertising/marketing hinting that the filtering was better due to the wire backing, which it is not, it is only needed for support, nothing to do with filtering itself. I do agree with that part.
thumbsup2.gif

...but you were talking about the advertising/marketing hinting that the filtering was better due to the wire backing, which it is not, it is only needed for support, nothing to do with filtering itself.

If someone is getting that out of the statement about wire backed media, then they are reading way between the lines with much misconception.

... And if Fram is going up due to steel cost as mentioned above, then others will be going up soon as well.
That won't be an excuse to raise the price of cartridge filters (except the Ultra and a certain Purolator, which do contain a little steel). So, another way in which cartridges are better!

I have always wondered why the TG9688 and XG9688 cost more than others. I have cut them apart and see nothing special in them.
For me, I just use the 3593a on Hyundai applications. Or just use a Hyundai one.

I read in another thread that these are made beefier for Hyundai and are able to withstand higher operating pressures. Combine that with them possibly being a not so popular model much like a cartridge filter.

There's definitely more cost effective options out there as well as the Fram xx7317 and xx3593a.

Originally Posted by Hannibal
All are good guesses...drumroll please...

Pricing has went up due to the tariffs. Because of the tariffs...even US Steel has went up and all the filter companies are passing that cost along. Now I won't pretend that new management may eventually change that, but Trico hasn't been the owner long enough to get to that point. This is 100% cost increases at the material level...

Flat domestic steel has went up apx 12% since the tariff's have went into effect.
If you buy tariff steel it's tagged at 25%

Hyundai strongly advises to use their own filter due to their engine failures. More people are trying to play it safe and buy the Hyundai filter. When a certain product sells less, price must be increased to make up for start up costs and profit.

I noticed that both the price going up and the availability on the shelf at WM seeming to be more regular with the 9688. Previously, half the time I'd go in they wouldn't have the 9688 and I'd either get a TG or use something else including the OEM. I used the OEM religiously for three years and then became an agnostic beyond the belief that the Ultra filters better than the OEM with no tick, no difference in my application. I also became a "two oil change / 10K mile" believer which I probably wouldn't do with the OEM.

I think the fact that the 9688 is a singular filter across most of the Hyundai model line also drives the pricing to some degree. Most of the auto parts stores in my area don't carry the Ultra any longer.

Originally Posted by Hannibal
All are good guesses...drumroll please...

Pricing has went up due to the tariffs. Because of the tariffs...even US Steel has went up and all the filter companies are passing that cost along. Now I won't pretend that new management may eventually change that, but Trico hasn't been the owner long enough to get to that point. This is 100% cost increases at the material level...

LOL. An oil filter didn't go up $2 because of steel tariffs.

Good news if you have a Rural King near you. I was getting the oil to do a change on my Mother-in-law's John Deere x475 tractor. Before I left the automotive section, I decided to see what filters they had in stock. Every single spin on Fram Ultra was priced at $7.99! Of course two weeks ago, I changed the oil on my 2017 Elantra and bought the XG9688 from Walmart for $11.37! Guess who's getting my filter business now? Like I need another reason to stop in at Rural King. Love that store!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Good news if you have a Rural King near you. I was getting the oil to do a change on my Mother-in-law's John Deere x475 tractor. Before I left the automotive section, I decided to see what filters they had in stock. Every single spin on Fram Ultra was priced at $7.99! Of course two weeks ago, I changed the oil on my 2017 Elantra and bought the XG9688 from Walmart for $11.37! Guess who's getting my filter business now? Like I need another reason to stop in at Rural King. Love that store!

L8R,
Matt

Yeah, I love the Rural King near me especially their jerky
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
smile.gif

That and the microwave pork rinds!

L8R,
Matt

26443898-2120-4B28-AC49-41D4A3A2EFB2.jpeg

Last edited:
smile.gif

L8R,
Matt

[Linked Image]

How did you take a pic of all those, without moving your bed - to reveal them underneath?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
smile.gif

L8R,
Matt

[Linked Image]

How did you take a pic of all those, without moving your bed - to reveal them underneath?

I'll never tell!
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back