Dodge Hemi Lifter/Cam failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in tore down.....Very interesting failure mode I haven't seen.
I'll get better pic's of the lifter, The camshaft had to be sent back for a core....So I won't be able to get more of the cam.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's different! Where are the needles from the roller?

In the oil pan I presume
Originally Posted by spasm3
Do you think the lifter ate the cam? Or did a soft cam kill the lifter?

My knee jerk reaction is to blame the Lifter, But I see pits in the Lobe that went flat & some other Lobes to a smaller degree.

The customer approved the replacement of ONE lifter & the camshaft.
I advised the replacement of all the lifters, Removal of the oil pan to clean out the needle bearings & Oil Pump removal & inspection.....Declined as the customer is selling/trading the truck, We had him sign a warranty waiver!

I dredged the pan with a magnet through the drain plug hole & got ALL the needles out!!!! Truck is quiet as a mouse & has excellent oil pressure. I must admit.....These VVT 5.7L Hemi's run HARD!!! The transmission programming is very aggressive IMHO.

We charged him actual time (9 hours), Camshaft labor is 15 hours but I didn't pull the Bank 2 cylinder head, Oil Pan, Or the Oil Pump. Chrysler/FCA shorts mechanics on labor times compared to other brands! Toyota is on the other end of the spectrum.

The lifter will stick up into the plastic retaining trays just like a LSx engine by putting a air drill on the camshaft to knock the lifters up.

5.7L VVT engines have you use the LINK method similar to today's OHC engines, This requires removal of the oil pump & oil pan......Completely Unnecessary.
*Find TDC with a magnetic base Dial Indicator on # 1 Piston (Use cylinder #6 if you pull only the Bank 2 head)
*Set the Camshaft Phaser Gear alignment mark straight-up like shown with the chain slack on the Tension side.
*Using a suitable prybar.....Release the tensioner slowly after pulling the grenade pin.
DONE!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great work as usual! How much was it to do the lifters? When I priced them they weren't expensive so it's surprising that he declined
crazy2.gif

Great work as usual! How much was it to do the lifters? When I priced them they weren't expensive so it's surprising that he declined
crazy2.gif

Mopar MDS lifter Racks/Sets are on nation-wide back-order, I had to use a Melling lifter out of a Non-MDS Rack & reuse the plastic MDS retainer. I'll look at the estimate if I get a chance.....But our system may have overwritten the original estimate?
I don't deal with the numbers much at my current employ.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
crazy2.gif

Mopar MDS lifter Racks/Sets are on nation-wide back-order, I had to use a Melling lifter out of a Non-MDS Rack & reuse the plastic MDS retainer. I'll look at the estimate if I get a chance.....But our system may have overwritten the original estimate?
I don't deal with the numbers much at my current employ.

Are the 5.7 water pumps still on back order? I remember a couple of friends with Grand Cherokee's and Dirango's waiting quite awhile to get those in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back