Found some rust on the roof of my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw a small about of rust on my mustang. It's pretty upsetting for how much time I've spent keeping this car clean, with washing and waxing and so on. How would I go about removing it ?
[Linked Image]

How often have you sealed it? Yearly carnauba waxes just don't cut it.

Also, it's an '02, but I also find it strange that an apparently well-maintained paint job is showing rust.

That's a weird place for rust to start. Secondly, where you live is - from someone that lives in the salt on roads for 5 months of year area - not exactly an area I'd associate with cars rusting.

Yeah I am just as shocked to see rust too, and I've never put a sealant on it. We are looking at the passenger side near the windshield.

Take it to a body shop, they will mask the area off and spot blast it with glass beads. Then epoxy primer, paint and clear, with luck they can blend it .

Originally Posted by Trav
Take it to a body shop, they will mask the area off and spot blast it with glass beads. Then epoxy primer, paint and clear, with luck they can blend it .

This is good advice. I would also do a close inspection to see if there are any other rust areas.

I'm wondering if this particular spot gets a lot of sand and dust exposure ? Being slowly sandblasted until tiny spots of metal were exposed. Texas highway driving can do that especially if you've driven a bit on the rural stretches.

If you plan to do it yourself, check out Chrisfix vids on youtube for rust repair. I fixed both my rocker panels that were completely rusted out znd it cMe out fantastic (havent posted before and afters yet). Thankfully you are dealing with just a small section of rust. Worst case, sand it well, clean with isopropyl alcohol and use a touch up paint. Can you post a picture from further away? Hard to see if its accessible or not? Is that the door?

Thats not rust,its the skid mark left from the horses' horsepower. Does it sit out in the sun much? If water is trapped somewhere the sun is the biggest puller and that might be. Have saw people painting houses not long after power washing and year later its popped and blistering from moisture trapped and the sun hitting it.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
If you plan to do it yourself, check out Chrisfix vids on youtube for rust repair. I fixed both my rocker panels that were completely rusted out znd it cMe out fantastic (havent posted before and afters yet). Thankfully you are dealing with just a small section of rust. Worst case, sand it well, clean with isopropyl alcohol and use a touch up paint. Can you post a picture from further away? Hard to see if its accessible or not? Is that the door?
His repair wouldn't last two years in the rust belt. Sanding rust and painting over it? LOL seriously?

That's a bad spot for rust, it's going to be a major PITA to fix that without pulling the windshield.

It's not only about removing it, but also how to prevent it and other areas from further rust.

Your photo 'looks' like the rust is just above the side door and starting at the Door Seal.
I'd say the Door Seal is trapping moisture and causing the rust.

When you wash & wax, open the doors and dry the Seals and surrounding areas.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
It's not only about removing it, but also how to prevent it and other areas from further rust.

Your photo 'looks' like the rust is just above the side door and starting at the Door Seal.

Good point. I make it a habit to clean the door sills and jams and apply Sonax BSD to those surfaces as a protective. You can use any spray wax or sealant as well.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

Good point. I make it a habit to clean the door sills and jams and apply Sonax BSD to those surfaces as a protective. You can use any spray wax or sealant as well.

A defective paint job is just that. All the wax in the world won't save it forever...especially on a vehicle made by a manufacturer with decades of experience building rust buckets.

https://www.hotcars.com/ford-cars-that-are-rust-buckets/

Here is a picture from further away, that's not the door it's just part of the roof. Thank you everyone for the advice, I dont plan i'm keeping the car much longer anyways (GT500 calling my name) I just want to keep it looking good until then.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Trav

+1, it probably wasn't painted with a thick enough coat when made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back