First welder recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
At nearly 56 years old, learning to weld is still on my list.

I would like to learn, and I would like to acquire a basic welder primarily for auto repair.

My goal is to be able to weld to remove stuck bolts, axles, etc. as well as repair brackets and other simple parts. I really don't know much about how to weld, or what welders are good, or good values.

So, how would you guys that DO weld recommend I go about learning, and what tool and equipment would you recommend to start out?

I do have 220V outlets in my garage for the tablesaw and dust collector, so I am not limited to 110V. Budget isn't really an important consideration. I prefer quality over cost.

Last edited:
IDK squat about welding so, I have nothing to offer you. However, my buddy learned late in life as well and he's turned out to be quite good. He stick & wire feed welds. To him, it's more about having fun and restoring old car/truck chassis' etc., not for extra money.

Way to go and best of luck. I admire your courage for wanting to learn,

CB

The lesser [110volt models] have a short duty cycle if you want to do serious work. I have a 110 volt Lincoln wire feed that works well other than the duty cycle.

Ages ago , when I worked maintenance , I did some stick welding . My welding was not pretty , but as long as the material was thick enough that I could turn the machine up hot and use a large enough rod , everything stayed together . Including steam lines .

Thin stuff , I burned too many holes ! :-(

I have no experience with TIG or wire welding , thought I would not mind trying .

For automotive , I am guessing you will be working with thinner material . Especially on body panels / parts .

I hope some one more qualified than I , can give you more help .

Do some browsing on youtube , a lot of information to be had , easily and free .

Best of luck , :)

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted by Astro14

I would like to learn, and I would like to acquire a basic welder primarily for auto repair.

My goal is to be able to weld to remove stuck bolts, axles, etc. as well as repair brackets and other simple parts. I really don't know much about how to weld, or what welders are good, or good values.

So, how would you guys that DO weld recommend I go about learning, and what tool and equipment would you recommend to start out?

I do have 220V outlets in my garage for the tablesaw and dust collector, so I am not limited to 110V. Budget isn't really an important consideration. I prefer quality over cost.

Hobart Handler 140 mig to start. Most folks would say start with stick welding then mig ot tig. I've stick and gas welded in high school auto shop 30+ years ago and haven't done any welding since so I'm in a relearning mode.

Buy a Miller MIG with infinitely variable feed and VA controls. Make sure it is plumbed for stargon gas. The 120V unit is handier and good for 3/16" on a single pass. You need to move to a 220V unit for thicker material or use multiple passes with the smaller model. After you have mastered the wire feed welder then it is relatively simple to move over to stick. TIG is another animal altogether and I never tamed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

Astro,

I learned to weld back in high school in metals shop and then refined my skills in a vocational program at the local college senior year after lunch where I got certified as an all position plate and pipe welder (also in high school). In the passing 20 years I've owned several welders from cheap to middle of the road. I wish I would've just bought a good welder 20 years ago. I just recently purchased a Miller Multimatic 220 multi process machine. It allows me to MIG, TIG, or Stick weld with one machine. It has auto set for ease of setup, and a host of other features that are just as valuable for a beginner as they are useful for an experienced welder. It's a lot of machine for what you want, but they make lower tier similar models. I love mine, I wish I would've bought a nice machine like this 20 years ago.

It's also capable of running on 220 or 110 without any wiring changes, the machine auto senses the input voltage.

I have a Lincoln 3200hd mig. Does a good job for a 110v welder. I use it for small projects just as you mention. Flux wire is good for less clean metal and in a breeze. Gas welds so much cleaner, smoother with less splatter. 220v offers a lot more power, if you need it. If you need to fix anything for friends, then 110v is great for portability. I got scrap angle iron and practiced with that. You will need some clamps. I do have a HF welding table, its handy for small stuff. There are some good and bad youtube videos.

I use INE inefil ( amazon) er70s with gas. Cheaper to buy in 10lb spool.

Member TIG1 is the expert here.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really want a torch if you want to get rusted stuff loose.

For all its foibles, the $99 HF flux wire 110 welder is quite good at exhaust work when equipped with Lincoln brand wire.

I would go with a Lincoln, Miller or Hobart MIG. Lincoln for example sells slightly different models at big box stores vs welder supply. More plastic in one from a big box stores. Different models, although both might be a Lincoln 180 amp MIG welder. With a MIG you need gas. So will need to buy or rent a gas bottle.

For what you have mentioned a small Lincoln and good Milwaukee angle grinder …
With the money saved get good PPE … need those eyes and hands to keep flying!!!

Seems we are missing Tig for a few days … would want his feedback here …

I have a 10 year old Miller 212 without Auto Set & love it!! But I don't deal with light gauge/sheet metal very often, An Auto Set 212 is able to adjust to a lower amperage.

I probably like the all-in-one wheeled cart/bottle mount set-up the 212 & up models have the most. I wish they would put a 211 dual voltage set-up on a cart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back