First pistol need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the grip angle and if you do tactical training, the angles are the same on different models and the trigger distances are very close. Makes multiple gun training easier..IMHO

The 19 is a good goldilocks size, not tiny, but just a but under full size, still enough for me to get a full hand on the grip. It was one of my first firearms. I agree with one of the previous posters that for a beginner, it's really hard to know what feels good, or what a good trigger is, etc. Even going to the range and renting a bunch, they all just felt just fine to me. Obviously, larger, heavier, metal framed guns had less felt recoil, which was nice, but also was got tiring because of the weight.

I picked the 19 as I felt that I could resell it very easily if I wanted, and I liked the very simple take down process. I didn't resell it though, I still shoot it often and liked it enough to purchase several more Glocks. If I were starting over, I might have went with the 17. While the 19 is a great size, it's still not quite small enough for me to conceal comfortably, so at that point, as home and range gun, I might as well have gone with the bigger 17 since I'd end up with a smaller carry gun anyway.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Dohc98vteC
Hey guys, I went to a gun show recently with my friends and really liked the feel of the Glock 19, any suggestions for a pistol of this size? I am open to other brands, seems like most are polymer these days which is fine by me.

Need more info
You are going to get 25+ recommendations here. Everyones' favorite is the one they primarily use themselves.
But until you mention how you will be carrying this pistol, then we can narrow down what product and what size to buy.
Do you want a shoulder carry?..... hip carry?...... pocket carry?..... ankle carry?
You never even mentioned how much you want to spend.

He never said he was going to carry it.

He is in the minority then. A vast Majority of first time buyers these days, buy it to carry it.... ever since the laws became lax about personal carry several years ago.

Since he's buying for range work and probably home protection, then the best buy is the one thayt fits your hand best and the one you have best hand control with.

Many times that's either a .380 or 9mm pistola. If the OP can afford a Glock and likes a particular Glock, then that's a safe bet on what he will get. 1911 in 9mm would be cool to own too.
Anything from Rock Island Armory on the cheap, to a nice wood stock Range Officers model on the upper-end.

Need to stop typing now..... I'm drooling.

I never recommend .380 to anyone who wants to shoot a fair amount, due to the price of the ammunition, which is ludicrous. The only time I'd recommend it is if you want the absolute smallest pocket pistol you can possibly get, in a caliber that is still an actual man-stopping caliber (though it's borderline, and you need to be a good shot). If you don't need it for deep concealment, there's really no reason not to get a 9mm instead.

As for Rock Island, I've heard for a long time that their 1911s are one of the best-kept secrets in the pistol world. And the Springfield Range Officer is a good 1911. A couple of years ago, my sister had gone to the range with me quite a bit, and decided she wanted her first pistol. Decided she wanted a 1911, in 9mm, so we all chipped in and got her a stainless Range Officer (full size Government model) for Christmas. That's a sweet gun. Trigger's not as nice as my Dan Wesson, but it's still a really nice gun

Also, GunDeals newsletter today features the Beretta 92FS for $429, the Canik TP9SA for $312, the FN FNS .40 Compact for $339, and the CZ P10 Compact for $359. Guns are pretty cheap, for the moment.

I got a Range Officer (in .45ACP) for Christmas a couple years ago. Aside from the obvious generosity of my wife, it's a good value in a gun. Nice trigger. Well made. Very accurate. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

For the OP, a 9mm is about the cheapest to feed. So, whether you go with a polymer utilty pistol (Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P) or an all steel (1911 platform, or a used 5906) or aluminum/steel (like a Beretta 92) you'll find pros and cons but all will be the cheapest to shoot at the range while simultaneously being capable of credible self defense.

For the record, I own just about each of the models mentioned above. I enjoy them all.

Collecting cars is really expensive. Collecting guns much less so...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
I got a Range Officer (in .45ACP) for Christmas a couple years ago. Aside from the obvious generosity of my wife, it's a good value in a gun. Nice trigger. Well made. Very accurate. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

For the OP, a 9mm is about the cheapest to feed. So, whether you go with a polymer utilty pistol (Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P) or an all steel (1911 platform, or a used 5906) or aluminum/steel (like a Beretta 92) you'll find pros and cons but all will be the cheapest to shoot at the range while simultaneously being capable of credible self defense.

For the record, I own just about each of the models mentioned above. I enjoy them all.

Figured you'd mention the 5906 when all-steel pistols came up.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Figured you'd mention the 5906 when all-steel pistols came up.

What are the odds, eh?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by john_pifer
[
I never recommend .380 to anyone who wants to shoot a fair amount, due to the price of the ammunition, which is ludicrous. The only time I'd recommend it is if you want the absolute smallest pocket pistol you can possibly get, in a caliber that is still an actual man-stopping caliber (though it's borderline, and you need to be a good shot). If you don't need it for deep concealment, there's really no reason not to get a 9mm instead.

$12/box is ludicrous??? And if you shoot a lot use steel ($10/box). I have frequently put 1500 rounds/month for months on end..no problem

And here we go again. Anyone who can not stop the BG with 7 rounds needs more training which 99% of most people do (need more training)

Last edited:
Al, everyone needs more training if they're intending to defend them self with deadly force. Nobody complains about being too accurate or too quick to acquire the target eh?

If you're going to shoot steel case why not shoot 9mm Tulammo for $7/box instead of .380 for $10? Your 1500 rounds of .380 costs you $300, for $300 you could shoot 2100 rounds of 9mm or shoot 1500 for $210. The cost factor is compelling.

The OP is buying a range gun. No reason to buy a small pistol in a weak caliber. Harder to get good with and as snappy as 9mm. A G19 would be fine as would anything larger and heavier if it grips well. A 1911 for a first pistol, not so much. Ruger has some nice pistols in 9mm, didn't see anyone mention them. The SR series copied Glock guts almost exactly with the addition of a safety.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I am going to buck the trend here. The OP says this will be his first gun. Does he have any experience with guns?

I like the idea of a revolver. Simple to shoot, simple to clean and maintain. Probably a whole lot cheaper as well.

this! a new taurus or used s&w 38sp can be had for under $300. get a steel, not alloy, model to tame recoil. hard to find 3" barrel is the sweet spot compromise for both ccw and range use.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

If you're going to shoot steel case why not shoot 9mm Tulammo for $7/box instead of .380 for $10? Your 1500 rounds of .380 costs you $300, for $300 you could shoot 2100 rounds of 9mm or shoot 1500 for $210. The cost factor is compelling.

The OP is buying a range gun. No reason to buy a small pistol in a weak caliber. Harder to get good with and as snappy as 9mm. .

Yea..understand. The 42 is all I ever carry so it really is the only gun I ever train with. I am no longer interested in "target" shooting.I train at 8 yards. I can do 6" groups all day long with 1 round/second. Not concerned with calibur.

I shoot my 42 way better than my 43. The 43 is unbelievably snappy. And I shoot it better than my 26. But as you know you need to be 100% comfortable with you mode of carry.

The guy I have trained with, unfortunately left the training academy and is moving to FL. :(In the 70's he scored 1499 out of 1500 points on various distance and shooting positions. He was the best Police Marksman in PA. Only 2 people have scored 1500 and I believe 3 others have scored 1499 in the last 45 years.

Last edited:
While you're laser-focused on concealed carry and training for that carry, Al, the OP was looking for a first pistol, with occasional range use as a desire.

So, given that completely different intended use, a heavy, all steel revolver in .357 is a good choice, as is a 9mm all steel pistol.

The revolver is nice for simplicity of operation and the intrinsic accuracy of a good revolver. All steel keeps the perceived recoil down. .38 special for range time and full power .357 loads for home defense, should he decide that's required.

The 9mm auto is nice because it's cheap to shoot. It's a good SD gun (note, not necessarily a concealed carry gun, as he said he's not interested in that) when loaded with proper ammunition. Again, all steel construction keeps perceived recoil down, though my 12 year old daughter had no problem shooting a Glock 19.

There are a lot of good choices, and how it feels in one's hand is an important first criteria in selecting a gun. Doesn't matter if everyone likes it, if it doesn't fit YOUR hand well, it's the wrong gun for you.

I actually think a Range Officer in 9mm is a pretty good suggestion. They are reasonably priced for what you get and a steel Government model in 9mm is low recoil...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I actually think a Range Officer in 9mm is a pretty good suggestion. They are reasonably priced for what you get and a steel Government model in 9mm is low recoil...

All true. a 9mm RO is a nice pistol, is it a good first pistol? Hmm.. field strip a Glock vs field strip a 1911...

OP sounds pretty casual at this point, a simple pistol that fits with reasonable recoil makes sense, a 1911 maybe for the next one if he likes shooting.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Buying a Springfield Armory gun means you're supporting an antigun gun company. Don't.

While you're laser-focused on concealed carry and training for that carry, Al, the OP was looking for a first pistol, with occasional range use as a desire.

So, given that completely different intended use, a heavy, all steel revolver in .357 is a good choice, as is a 9mm all steel pistol.

Yea agreed

I always wonder why the Beretta PX4 Storm does not come up more in these discussions. Full size model is available in 9, 40, or 45, rotating barrel system for recoil reduction in the full size models ( it works ) , adjustable backstraps, easy to take apart and put back together, magazines compatible with the Storm carbines.

About the same price as a Glock. Way better looking.

Only negative is the dreaded Beretta safety on the slide.

The Walther P99AS is a real nice striker fire pistol. I think Canik makes a clone for about half the price.

If Stoeger is still available, their versions of the old Beretta Cougar are nice, if you want an all metal semi auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back