What's the new wonder elixir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

I haven't been around for a while. The last year I followed Bitog with any regularity was before 2010. Back then German Castrol, 0w30 was pretty much the bench mark. So what's the big deal in motor oil now in 2019?

Originally Posted by Yuk
I haven't been around for a while. The last year I followed Bitog with any regularity was before 2010. Back then German Castrol, 0w30 was pretty much the bench mark. So what's the big deal in motor oil now in 2019?

Will vary depending on who you ask.

- There's a group that is really keen on the new SOPUS GTL synthetics
- There's a group that is really keen on M1 EP and AP 0w-20 because it is majority PAO (I'm in that camp)
- There's a group that is really keen on the new Ravenol oils, which are all PAO-based (I'm in that camp)
- There's a group that plugs Redline constantly

...etc.

Thanks!
It doesn't sound like there's anything around with the same mystique as GC. I too have taken a liking to M1 EP 0w-20. This winter we seemed to have a ton of days hovering between -20 and -30c and with the EP 0w-20 I never plugged the cars in.

Originally Posted by Yuk
Thanks!
It doesn't sound like there's anything around with the same mystique as GC. I too have taken a liking to M1 EP 0w-20. This winter we seemed to have a ton of days hovering between -20 and -30c and with the EP 0w-20 I never plugged the cars in.

Well of course! There aren't many other products that pour out of the bottle looking like liquid emerald either!!!
wink.gif
It took me about seven years to finally work through my stash of GC. I was sad to see it go. Even my lawnmower loved the stuff (had to find good uses for the last few odd qts...).

Nothing around like the Green Elixer any more.

Oils have greatly improved overall in the past 10 years.
As said above, there are a few that have a little more talk (Pennzoil Ultra was a golden child for a bit, but hard to come by).
Idemitsu has also been a highly talked about oil lately, but hard to get since the Advance Auto clearance last year (which ironically is how it was really found out about).

Heck, Supertech and Amazon synthetics would work for almost everyone nowdays.

Originally Posted by ekpolk

Well of course! There aren't many other products that pour out of the bottle looking like liquid emerald either!!!
wink.gif
It took me about seven years to finally work through my stash of GC. I was sad to see it go. Even my lawnmower loved the stuff (had to find good uses for the last few odd qts...).

Would you be jealous to know that I still have a couple bottles of GC tucked away, in case I have to barter with a master race of interstellar aliens?

Buying reputable oils with rebates and paying less per quart than if you bought SuperTech never gets old.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Buying reputable oils with rebates and paying less per quart than if you bought SuperTech never gets old.

So true!

Originally Posted by blupupher
Nothing around like the Green Elixer any more.

Oils have greatly improved overall in the past 10 years.
As said above, there are a few that have a little more talk (Pennzoil Ultra was a golden child for a bit, but hard to come by).
Idemitsu has also been a highly talked about oil lately, but hard to get since the Advance Auto clearance last year (which ironically is how it was really found out about).

Heck, Supertech and Amazon synthetics would work for almost everyone nowdays.

Why is Pennzoil Ultra hard to come by? Here in Edmonton, it appears to be regularly available.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The 0w40 fans are coming around!
laugh.gif

What's more popular now, 0w40 or 0w20? Haven't the masses fallen into the old Dr. Haas way of thinking, where 0w20 is the answer to everything?

I think choosing an engine oil is really complicated and there is no one oil that's the best for every engine, every usage scenario, every environment, or every intended oil change interval. That's why I, for example, run three completely different oils in my three vehicles. 0w-30 AMSOIL SS in the Vic, the Escape gets whatever synthetic 5w-20 or 5w-30 I have floating around, the the ole Chevy currently has Delo 10w-30 in it but I'll probably try Castrol 0w-40 next time.

Originally Posted by Yuk
Originally Posted by ekpolk

wink.gif

Would you be jealous to know that I still have a couple bottles of GC tucked away, in case I have to barter with a master race of interstellar aliens?

Mmm, slightly -- my mower might be really excited though!
wink.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Yuk
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The 0w40 fans are coming around!
laugh.gif

What's more popular now, 0w40 or 0w20? Haven't the masses fallen into the old Dr. Haas way of thinking, where 0w20 is the answer to everything?

Naw, I think they are the two most popular grades though.

I thought it was just API SN PLUS in general. That being said, I bought some Chevron Supreme 5W-20 that only has the API SN label, but I guess who cares for a 2002 Civic.

Pennzoil GTL was very popular for a while, but its popularity has been waning here.

Castrol / Mobil 1 0w-40 are popular
Mobil EP/AP 0w-20 are popular

Otherwise go with super tech for 5k and under oci or fancier oil for over 12k oci.

Current favorite filter is fram ultra and people are using it for multiple ocis.

I would say that 5w30 is as popular as 0w20 or 0w40. More vehicles are using 0w20.

There has been a shift in popularity here towards the less expensive oils. As many have discovered, any oil with the SN+ and or d1G2 certifications is pretty good. Supertech is a popular choice as is some of the regional name stores like Fleet Farm for example.

Chevron might have a hit on their hands with the Havoline Smart Change box. 6 quarts of Pro DS for $19.xx is pretty good for a quality oil. The only problem is you can't find it anywhere. Chevron needs to get off their hands and get this stuff into distribution.

Pennzoil had a run with their Pure Plus base but that may be hitting some headwinds with recent SDS revelations.

Originally Posted by Kage860
...Current favorite filter is fram ultra and people are using it for multiple ocis.

Thanks for mentioning the filter. It feels like only yesterday when everyone called Fram, "The Orange Can of Death!"

Lol, Yuk, probably around the time you left fram filters were being burned in the proverbial fire while everyone was praising purolators. Now fram ultras are the shindig and all purolators are ordered to be burned in the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back