I Hope This Amuses You Guys Like It Did Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, my wife was making corned beef and cabbage and a Shepherd's Pie. She was bringing all of this to our oldest son's house and our other kids were all coming over for dinner. She was almost done and about to do the mashed potatoes to cover the shepherd's pie when she realized she did not have enough potatoes. She had a problem because she had to be at a friend's daughter's bridal shower.
I said I'll go get some potatoes, tell me exactly what to do. All I got back was: YOU Can't make this, Only I can. She spent more time explaining why I shouldn't do it, She finally gave me some half hearted instructions and left.
I went to the store, grabbed some Idaho potatoes, went home, peeled em, diced em up and called my friend Don, who's the Executive Chef at work. He talked me through PERFECT mashed potatoes. My fourteen year old son thought this was hilarious and couldn't wait to see how everyone liked the potatoes. We kept quiet that I even made them until everyone tried them.

Turns out, they were a hit.

Well done!
smile.gif

You and I are the owners of Mashed Potato Making. I showed my wife and MIL about 28 years ago how my mother did it, and guess what happened?

When they ask about the secret ingredient, tell them (in a Barry Manillow deep voice) "They are made with love!"

Back to topic:
-boiled to perfection
-salt
-butter
-milk
-mash them (please no 7-speed mixer; I got them to glue consistency; that was a crazy one)
-taste test

My wife uses the Made With Love line on us all the time.

The secret here was he had me drain them completely and while they were draining, I melted the butter over low heat with some milk and salt and pepper all mixed in. Once I mixed that in at slow speed with only one beater in the mixer, I warmed up a tiny bit more milk to be added. He said if you add cold butter, it blocks the milk from being absorbed properly. Who am I to argue? Best potatoes I ever made.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
You and I are the owners of Mashed Potato Making. I showed my wife and MIL about 28 years ago how my mother did it, and guess what happened?

Either they make them that way and claim it's their old recipe OR they refuse to use it.

My mom claims this family baked bean recipe is hers but I KNOW it's my aunt's.

What amazes me is that you have to call someone to find out how to make good mashed potatoes.
27.gif

LOL.

Off topic a little. What's the overpowering spice in corned beef and cabbage. My neighbor is from NY and brings me some over every New Years and St Patrick's day.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer

The secret here was he had me drain them completely and while they were draining, I melted the butter over low heat with some milk and salt and pepper all mixed in. Once I mixed that in at slow speed with only one beater in the mixer, I warmed up a tiny bit more milk to be added. He said if you add cold butter, it blocks the milk from being absorbed properly. Who am I to argue? Best potatoes I ever made.

Mashed taters need cream. Fire that guy.

Originally Posted by hatt

Mashed taters need cream. Fire that guy.

01.gif

Butter and whipping cream. Not milk. And a ricer, not mixer.

But I can understand that there can be constraints.

I only had whole milk. He said to use cream.

👠Yep, sometimes you do what you have to do.

LOL.

Off topic a little. What's the overpowering spice in corned beef and cabbage. My neighbor is from NY and brings me some over every New Years and St Patrick's day.

I'll find out. I'm not really a fan.

If I had to guess, coriander (for the corned beef spice). Could also be clove, nutmeg or all spice. Raid your pantry and taste those (if you have) and see!

Originally Posted by xBa380
If I had to guess, coriander (for the corned beef spice). Could also be clove, nutmeg or all spice. Raid your pantry and taste those (if you have) and see!

Whatever it is I do not have it in the cabinet. It may be okay if it were 1/4 the flavor intensity.

Originally Posted by xBa380

Whatever it is I do not have it in the cabinet. It may be okay if it were 1/4 the flavor intensity.

Some people genetically dont like coriander and say it tastes like a chemical

For the rest of us the more the merrier.

Ps Indian grocery stores sell bags of roasted coriander snack buy one and taste.

LOL.

OK... I asked the chef about this. He said it's Juniper. Some stuff they use to make Gin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back