Formula Shell Conventional 5w-30, 1500 miles on oil, 2004 GM 5.3 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil is thinning out - wonder if bearing wear is from it dropping to a 20-weight?

I'd be tempted to try a 40-weight and see what happens.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Oil is thinning out - wonder if bearing wear is from it dropping to a 20-weight?

I'd be tempted to try a 40-weight and see what happens.

This is a GM LS engine shearing was considered when the 30 grade was recommended and tested. I say Jasper is doing a poor job remaning this engine. A higher viscosity is just going limp this engine along past warranty and it shall fail again with this much wear.

Looks like engine wasn't primed before starting first time or bearing clearances were to tight. Last 2 engine remanufactured installs my dad did only lasted through warranty. I always recommend dealer for remanufactured engines cause warranty and labor are better than most reman shops. Last Jasper engine I installed for customer had wrong heads on which caused check engine light which they admitted to but Insisted would not be a problem which customer refused to pay for correct heads as well as Jasper. We lost a customer because of that.

I delivered the bad news to the owner of the shop this afternoon. A call was immediately placed to their Jasper rep for assistance.

We'll see where this goes.

35.gif

Waiting until Jasper calls it quits and tells you there are no more engines to send you since you've used them all up. Lol.

Jasper's response was to drive it until it needs yet another oil change, and they'll re-evaluate it after we get the results from the next UOA. They're using the downward trend on lead as their excuse.... even though it isn't going down anymore.

They're apparently hoping for a miracle. I told the shop that their response is not acceptable, something needs to be done, as in next week.

I'm changing the oil every 1500 miles, and the lead is horrible. But they want to wait. Of course they do..

You're prob keeping the bad engine alive longer by doing those silly, short oil change intervals. Plus wasting good oil. If it can't last the duration of a normal oil change then you don't want that engine. OCD oil change intervals on bitog at likely the third of a regular oil change interval.

This really disappoints me; I used to have more respect for Jasper.
This is not bolstering my image of them.
One bad engine is an anecdote.
Several in a row is a BIG problem. And now they want to wait and see?
Yikes!

Here's the latest UOA. Some observations:

The amount of lead in this 1500 mile / 3 month OCI has only improved marginally (down 15%).
Iron has more than doubled since last change.
Copper has more than doubled since last change.

Filters being used are AC Delco PF46.

[Linked Image]

That's a bucketful of lead at only 1500 miles...and the other wear metals doubling or more tells me you will get a free 4th engine soon....that's more metal than the 15,000 mile UOAs on here.

It will be interesting to see what feedback you get from Jasper.

Man, that is nuts, hope they reimburse you for these engine analyses.

I would bump the interval up some too if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back