Is 10k miles too long for tire rotations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never rotate my tires so yes, 10k miles is fine. What are you hoping to accomplish by rotating the tires? If they wear evenly, what's the point of rotating them?

I only rotate mine on the cars I do burnouts in.
smile.gif

Seriously I don't ever rotate mine and I always get close to the manufactures advertised tread ware

I rotate mine when I change from summer to winter and back again. Whatever the mileage is, it is.

My E-150 and Wrangler I do 5K tire rotations, the Liberty I do 10K tire rotations. That seems to be working well for me.

My FWD cars always wear the fronts faster and I prefer to keep all 4 worn about the same so I rotate. I find they stay quieter and wear better with rotations as well. Some of my cars wear the tires more irregularly and need 5k mike rotations to keep from wearing in a way that makes them noisy. My Cruze is very good on tires and I rotate every 10k miles. Depends on the car.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I never rotate my tires so yes, 10k miles is fine. What are you hoping to accomplish by rotating the tires? If they wear evenly, what's the point of rotating them?

We rotate at 10K intervals on the truck, and drive it roughly 30K per year. The tires have always worn evenly (at least across the face of the tread), so I didn't rotate the factory tires at all - big mistake. The front tread ended up wearing down to 3/32 while the rears still had around 6/32. When I rotated them to try and even the wear out, the tire noise was just about unbearable
laugh.gif
Now, I rotate religiously, and all four tires are ready to be replaced at the same time. If we didn't rack up mileage so quickly, I'd probably rotate at 5K.

I rotate and balance and done n2 when doing oci. My yokohama tires always exceed the mileage warranty unless I go into winter then I just buy new for peace of mind.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Probably depends on how good your alignment is.

Bingo. I do mine every 20,000 - though I may even get away with "less often" because the wear rate is very good.

The practice I have always followed is if they are wearing the same side to side I'll rotate them when either the front or rears are down to 50%. If they are wearing equally front to rear and side to side then why bother?? This strategy has been working well now for 40+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back