Power Steering Fluid - 07 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to pump out the reservoir and replace on my 07 Tahoe. When I check Advance Auto it only brings up Prestone, Other than the GM fluid are those the only two that are usable?

Thanks
Tim

I just checked Advance, and for the moment when the site worked, it also showed Valvoline, Valvoline Maxlife with stopleak, and Carquest PS fluids.

Any power steering fluid that lists GM approval should work. Synthetic is hard to find on the shelf, but I have used the GM cold-climate fluid before.

I have had very good luck with Reline PSF. It is expensive, but I don't use much PSF so I don't mind. It solved a cold PS issue on my Roadmaster, that was probably 8-9 years ago and now with 235k miles on it, it has not been an issue since.

Currently I have been running Amsoil multi ATF in my Tb since the fall of 2012 if I recall. It really runs great. The cold weather whine is nearly gone around that -30C mark. I am not an Amsoil koolaid drinker, I think they have great products but I am not fond of their pricing and availability.

I have never bought any specific PS fluid either. I only run good quality ATF. The Amsoil was a gift and I currently am running Co-op ATF SL (Canadian made group 4 multi vehicle) in my 3500 and the previous Ram 1500. Its 9$ a liter all in and does wonders in the winter.

ATF has never caused me any pump/rack issues what so ever and I will continue to use it and advocate its use.

Originally Posted by Recalculating
I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF for years in all my GM vehicles.

This. My 2008 Avalanche had a persistent power steering whine and sluggish steering when it dropped below -20 last winter. Even GM cold weather PSF wouldn't solve it. On the advice of a technician at the local GM dealer, I replaced the PSF with Dexron VI and I've had no problems since.

There are many opinions on using ATF for PSF in GM vehicles. The older Saginaw boxes don't seem to like it and will leak. But the newer GM rack and pinions, like in your Tahoe, seem to have no issues using ATF.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic

Any power steering fluid that lists GM approval should work.

^This
An option that was not mentioned is Lucas PS fluid with conditioners (the one that says "for all power steering systems, even Honda"). I have been using it for several years in my Honda and my Cad, and it smoothed out the steering in both. Compatible with the OEM fluid if you do a suck/fill/repeat process or a full replacement. It costs a little more than Prestone but well worth it, IMO. Also available at several places (Walmart, Advance, etc.)

Edit: Lucas is relatively thin, so I wouldn't expect any problems in cold weather. However, I don't plan to venture into any cold weather in the near future, so I can't really test this!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LUCAS-OIL-10442-Power-Steering-Fluid-With-Conditioners-16-Ounce/19864140?

Last edited:
At one time PYROIL power steering fluid was part of Valvoline and had better cold weather performance than Valvoline branded p/s fluid. It is GM approved too.

Well, I bought a gallon of the Valvoline power steering fluid for the replacement. The info states it meets GM specs 1050017. Which I looked up and that has been replaced by 89020661? I google my 07 tahoe and it brings up PN 89021182.. I assume this will work in an 07 Tahoe? One of the reason I bought this is because its also compatible with my son's 01 Grand Cherokee.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back