Oil / filter change 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used a Mobil 1 cartrage filter bought cheap from Rockauto.com ( 6 to 12 ordered at a time to spread out the freight coast ) .

4-1/2 quarts of NAPA 5W-30 full synthetic , purchased on sale for $3.95 + tax per quart . A year or two ago .

Boy , did I make a mess in the drive . Spread 2 containers of cat litter on the spilled oil . :-(

Hope to change oil / filter on the Buick 3.8l tomorrow , befor the weather starts getting colder .

Thanks to my Wife for helping ! :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
. . .
Boy , did I make a mess in the drive . Spread 2 containers of cat litter on the spilled oil . :-(
. . .

I've started saving pizza boxes and laying them out flat before I do the change. Amazingly effective if you've got enough to cover the area. They have enough heft that they mostly stay put, and they'll absorb huge amounts of oil (yes, yes, I know -- don't spill it in the first place...), far more than the usual splashes, drips and so forth. Be sure to put them in the trash, not recycling, if you get them dirty enough that you don't want to use them again.

The Sonic is so low to the ground I have to use a floor jack to get it it up enough to have room for the drain pan and to reach far enough it to get to the drain plug .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-42003MI-Drain-Container-16-quart/44580714

Turned out , with the jack in the way , could not get the drain pan far enough under the drain plug . At least as much ended up on the driveway as went in the drain pan as went into the drain pan .

So , no , was not having fun ! :-(

The Buick is almost as low to the ground & further to reach the drain plug . Going to try to jack it up different .

I wasn't kidding. A day of routine car maintenance even with a small mishap is a good day. That's why you have oil dry and kitty litter around. Stains will fade eventually. Enjoy your time with the Buick.

Sounds like you need to invest in a set of ramps
21.gif
. No jack, no obstacle to create a mess. Absolutely the BEST $40 I ever spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back