Is this a battery issue or starter issue or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car 2007 Yaris; battery is a AAA Nov 2015 battery (i did not own car when this was installed)

Car sat 4 days; when I got into it sunday night, dash lights illuminated normal, but starter would not engage the fly wheel; it simply spun. Tried wrapping the starter and still nothing. A few hours later tried again and the car cranked super slowly and coughed to life, taking about 10 seconds to catch and then start running normally (think engine in the classic movie flight of the phoenix) This is the seconds time it has done this, more noticeably this last time

After about 30 seconds of idling shut off the engine and the engine restarted normally with full speed crank. Today did a few errands and car started and restarted normally. I might let it sit a few days to see if the issue correlates with days of non use; Not sure how the battey 'comes back to life" after initially not being able to engage the pinion gear

Any thoughts.

-Thomas

Last edited:
Take it to AAP and have them check the Battery / Alternator / Starter.
Should be NO Charge and you'll get a 'printout'.

Battery is 3+ years old. May have a 2 year warranty.

I believe the starter gear can be pushed up by a fork connected to a solenoid. Or the Bendix drive spins it up.

But a battery test is easy and quick. Do it right after you check both ends of the heavy gauge cables leaving the battery.

If cables and battery look good pull the starter and have a look.

If you have a bendix drive those are a trip! Counts on a particular amount of friction and stuff getting flung this way and that by the inertia of the starting and stopping motor.

The Chinese gear-reduction starter on my F150 does this in extreme cold. Better than a "click" and nothing. The 2nd time, it grabs.

AAA batteries are usually Exides, which are junk. I can't imagine the car needing that many amps!

Standard diagnostics apply. Start with the battery test, because it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back