Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, SN Plus, 12/26/18 Bottle Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Can someone please show me a jug of PUP that shows it's in Dexos1/Gen2 compliance?
If not, then it is different than Platinum. The PUP jug must say both SN Plus and Dexos1/Gen 2, to be mirrored with Platinum.

It's not d1g2 at all. Pennzoil was very straightforward when they told me they also had no intention at this time to do this. They will also tell you that PUP is specifically designed for a different application than PP. It's a lot more of a niche oil. They make a lot less of it, I'm sure and if it weren't profitable for them, they'd probably be getting rid of it instead of reformulating it for SN Plus.

Originally Posted by wemay
Here's the composition portion of the current mass sheet

Wemay, I thought the Ultra specified GTL as the base? Looking at that MSDS, I'm wondering what the real difference is now between PUP and PP.

Originally Posted by mdtaylor86
I asked you questions about your assertion. I still have no idea what you meant by "actually guaranteed to pass actual testing sequences relevant to oil quality and performance." Can you please explain what you meant by this?

Like I said, I was referring to the d1g2 and B1 specification. Since that was my original point in my. First post, I thought that was clear. Obviously I'm not asserting that PUP doesn't pass any tests that illustrate its quality/performance...

Back to d1g2 and B1, PP is guaranteed to pass. It's a mystery whether or not PUP will pass those, so all you're left with is PUP's marketing claims and brand positioning (holding all of the other specs and approvls constant between the 2 oils).

Last edited:
I would be running SN Plus / D1/G2 / plus the latest Ford spec for Ecoboosts, in your Ecoboost.
That's why I put down the jug of Ultra Platinum and grabbed regular Platinum, after I read the specs on the Ultra Platinum.

A mid-tier oil filter like Wix or Fram Tough Guard is plenty of protection. No need to spend more.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
I asked you questions about your assertion. I still have no idea what you meant by "actually guaranteed to pass actual testing sequences relevant to oil quality and performance." Can you please explain what you meant by this?

Like I said, I was referring to the d1g2 and B1 specification. Since that was my original point in my. First post, I thought that was clear. Obviously I'm not asserting that PUP doesn't pass any tests that illustrate its quality/performance...

Back to d1g2 and B1, PP is guaranteed to pass. It's a mystery whether or not PUP will pass those, so all you're left with is PUP's marketing claims and brand positioning (holding all of the other specs and approvls constant between the 2 oils).

It was not obvious to me, that's why I asked the question. The add packs between PP and PUP are different, according to Pennzoil itself. The two oils are specifically designed for different applications, according to Pennzoil itself. The physical properties of the two oils are different. If PP fits your application, great! If PUP fits, great! It's not necessarily going to be a contest between those two for your normal application. That's all I was saying.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I would be running SN Plus / D1/G2 / plus the latest Ford spec for Ecoboosts, in your Ecoboost.
That's why I put down the jug of Ultra Platinum and grabbed regular Platinum, after I read the specs on the Ultra Platinum.

A mid-tier oil filter like Wix or Fram Tough Guard is plenty of protection. No need to spend more.

Fair enough. I typically run a Fram Ultra, Amsoil, or Wix XP filter. It's probably overkill but it helps me sleep better. As for the oil, I'm not concerned about it. My 3.5L still has Ford's -A spec and had been driven 35K miles before the B1 spec ever even came out. I have a lifetime power train warranty on all of my Fords, so until the dealer tells me I have to back spec to the B1, I'm not really that concerned. I mean, I'll still probably end up switching anyway, just not at the moment.

Now, my '18 2.7L in my work fleet, that specs B1 and I definitely won't be running anything that's not that spec so I can keep that lifetime power train warranty.

It was not obvious to me, that's why I asked the question. The add packs between PP and PUP are different, according to Pennzoil itself. The two oils are specifically designed for different applications, according to Pennzoil itself. The physical properties of the two oils are different. If PP fits your application, great! If PUP fits, great! It's not necessarily going to be a contest between those two for your normal application. That's all I was saying.

They're both SN+ GF-5 5W-30s with near identical add-packs and viscosities, and they're both GTL-based. What exactly is different about them? (Other than PP having d1g2 and B1).

They may have "Pure Plus Technology " as the label says but the newest SDS for both no longer specifies Fischer Tropsch as they used to. The new verbiage is "interchangeable low viscosity base oils ".

… They're both SN+ GF-5 5W-30s with near identical add-packs and viscosities, and they're both GTL-based. What exactly is different about them? (Other than PP having d1g2 and B1).

They are near identical, but they are not the same.

According to the RGT Q&A:
Shell Oil Products US ("SOPUS") will not be discontinuing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is formulated for and continues to be used in applications such as racing (i.e. Indy Car) and is used in SRT (street and racing technology) vehicles.
…
Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum are both high performing products as well. They are different formulations with different chemical compositions. We encourage customers that are currently using Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to continue using those products.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...hetic-engine-oil-q-a-answers#Post4997057

There are slight changes to differentiate Pennzoil's portfolio of products. How much of a difference does that tiering matter? Well, people on BITOG already can't agree on products from different brands, let alone products from within the same brand...

However, I think we are all in agreement that if someone is under warranty or looking for an oil to meet the latest Dexos1 or Ford spec in a Pennzoil product, then go with Platinum.

Again, just marketing differentiates them. And the Pennzoil rep was referring to PUP 0W-40 which is used in SRT engines and Indycar engines. Far different than their GF-5 5W-30.

They're both SN+ GF-5 5W-30s with near identical add-packs and viscosities, and they're both GTL-based. What exactly is different about them? (Other than PP having d1g2 and B1).

If GTL, i don't know why they just don't say so on all their MSDS instead the "low viscosity base oils" sentence on some.

Originally Posted by wemay
If GTL, i don't know why they just don't say so on all their MSDS instead the "low viscosity base oils" sentence on some.

I think it's just how Shell is doing their SDS's now. I've noticed all of their newly formulated/reformulated oils simply state "interchangeable low viscosity base oil".

Originally Posted by normal_guy1
… They're both SN+ GF-5 5W-30s with near identical add-packs and viscosities, and they're both GTL-based. What exactly is different about them? (Other than PP having d1g2 and B1).

They are near identical, but they are not the same.

According to the RGT Q&A:
Shell Oil Products US ("SOPUS") will not be discontinuing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is formulated for and continues to be used in applications such as racing (i.e. Indy Car) and is used in SRT (street and racing technology) vehicles.
…
Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum are both high performing products as well. They are different formulations with different chemical compositions. We encourage customers that are currently using Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to continue using those products.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...hetic-engine-oil-q-a-answers#Post4997057

There are slight changes to differentiate Pennzoil's portfolio of products. How much of a difference does that tiering matter? Well, people on BITOG already can't agree on products from different brands, let alone products from within the same brand...

However, I think we are all in agreement that if someone is under warranty or looking for an oil to meet the latest Dexos1 or Ford spec in a Pennzoil product, then go with Platinum.

Absolutely agree.

Again, just marketing differentiates them. And the Pennzoil rep was referring to PUP 0W-40 which is used in SRT engines and Indycar engines. Far different than their GF-5 5W-30.

Here's the full quote from the Q&A:

22. Why would one choose Rotella over Ultra, Platinum or Conventional engine oil in a gasoline operation? What applications was it really designed for?
a. Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions like stop-and-go driving, sludge forming environments, extensive idling, heavy hauling and towing, rugged terrain and extreme hot and cold temperatures. We know that gas truck owners want a motor oil that delivers on key benefits including protection for extremes their engines face. Shell Rotella Gas Truck is all about hard work and we know that many gasoline-powered pickup and SUV drivers, particularly those with 4x4 vehicles, use their trucks for hard-working purposes. Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum are both high performing products as well. They are different formulations with different chemical compositions. We encourage customers that are currently using Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to continue using those products.

Where are they referring specifically to PUP 0w-40?

Look, I think everyone gets that you have a thing against PUP. No one on here (that I know of) is recommending PUP over top of PP, myself included. I'm interested in trying it out to see what kind of analysis I get back from it and how it compares to other oils I have run and will run in the future. That's just a thing I do because I know it's not going to hurt my vehicle(s) in the least bit. Elemental analysis does not show you the entire picture about an oil. But you can believe whatever you want based on your own perspective.

Where are they referring specifically to PUP 0w-40?

Google my friend. It's well documented that PUP 0W-40 is used in racing applications, as it is a performance engine formulated oil (including the OEM spec for 700+HP SRT engines). The rest of the PUP lineup are typical PCMO GF-5 formulations.

Look, I think everyone gets that you have a thing against PUP.

I have nothing against it. PUP 0W-40 is obviously a proven oil. For the rest of the lineup, I just don't buy into the idea that it's superior to PP because it has "Ultra" in the name, when it in fact carries fewer approvals than PP and pretty much looks identical to PP on paper (excluding 0W-40).

But you can believe whatever you want based on your own perspective.

Ha! This one gave me a chuckle. I guess sticking to approvals and specifications is "believing whatever I want." The only one "believing" in whatever they want (marketing claims... and those Q&As you posted are just that, marketing) is you.

Last edited:
One major difference is that the PU has a LOT more Boron than PP. Boron is both a cleaning additive, as well as anti-wear, so that would bolster SOPUS's claim that PU keeps engines cleaner than other products.

Blackstone results for a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 SN Plus.

This VOA was prompted by THIS thread.

[Linked Image]

Look at the beefy boron dosage !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back