Aftermarket vs OEM AT Filter for 2014 Toyota Rav4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for feedback on a good aftermarket AT filter for the U760e Toyota transmission. The OEM filter is basically a metal screen so I'd like to replace it with a better filter. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody will know the answer to your question. First they would have to know that the current filter is insufficient. Second they would have to know that the new filter doesn't restrict the flow of ATF to the point where it causes shift problems. Usually when it comes to AT's those who are worried about excessive wear will go the route of magnets.

If it's just mesh stainless steel, there is no need to replace it ever. In 8 years at a Toyota dealer, I don't remember replacing a single one.

I am not sure if there is any cooler return line? but if there is, you can add a Magnefine type filter on the cooler return line.

If the rav 4 still has a drain plug on it in 2014, I would recommed just a simple drain and refill of exactly what came out of it.

I wouldn't mess with the filter or the pan.

Originally Posted by JustinH
If the rav 4 still has a drain plug on it in 2014, I would recommed just a simple drain and refill of exactly what came out of it.

This you will not find better advice and do a drain and fill every 20K-30K miles and you will be doing overmaintance.

The OEM filter is pleated cellulose blend. Not sure if the reference to a metal screen was literal or that rock catcher tag sometimes used. If looking for 'better'...infers synthetic media or rating improvement, you won't find it. I would change the filter once, clean the magnets, then do those drain and fills. And pay that little extra and get the OEM filter.

Last edited:
OEM is better - Toyota is using mostly Filtran MicroFelt filters as OEM. Some cars(mostly RWD Lexus models) will use a Toyo Roki filter with a slightly different material.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JustinH

This you will not find better advice and do a drain and fill every 20K-30K miles and you will be doing overmaintance.

Why would you only replace 1/2 of the ATF which is what a drain/refill will accomplish?

Inline transmission filter . Put in the cooler return line.
Options are to get an oil filter mount and plumb it in if you have room or just use one of the little stand alone in line atf filters like wix filtran or magnafine. Change those out every 30k or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back