Dishonest car dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile back I spotted a silver 350Z on a car dealership's lot while driving past it. I went on their website and scrolled through their used car inventory and they had it listed at $9000 and said it to be in pristine condition.

That Saturday I went there and checked it out. The interior was TRASHED. The interior plastics were repainted dark gloss black literally with a paintbrush. The gauges were all scratched up with one of them being cracked and another one loose and falling off. All wheels were curb rashed.

Out of sheer curiosity I went inside and told them to give me their absolute bottom dollar. This clown puts this sheet of paper in front of me with $14,900 plus ttl written on it. It took all I had to keep from literally laughing out loud and walked out.

Some places are just unbelievable.

I laughed in a CarmMAX associate's face, crumbled up his offer and tossed it in his trash. It wasn't just the absurdly low offer, how they treated me and how long they made me wait on a pretty slow day. I had to keep asking what was taking so long, having waited over an hour AFTER I saw the tech check-out my car and then park it...The guy who finally went over the quote with me came out looking bored and treated the interaction with the same lack of care as someone selling me a burger...

Originally Posted by Chris142
Why even bother with the salesperson if its not what you want?

+1

I refuse to purchase my vehicles from dealerships.
Too much nonsense and lies being told, mostly on their part.
29.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Awhile back I spotted a silver 350Z on a car dealership's lot while driving past it. I went on their website and scrolled through their used car inventory and they had it listed at $9000 and said it to be in pristine condition.

That Saturday I went there and checked it out. The interior was TRASHED. The interior plastics were repainted dark gloss black literally with a paintbrush. The gauges were all scratched up with one of them being cracked and another one loose and falling off. All wheels were curb rashed.

Out of sheer curiosity I went inside and told them to give me their absolute bottom dollar. This clown puts this sheet of paper in front of me with $14,900 plus ttl written on it. It took all I had to keep from literally laughing out loud and walked out.

There weren't dishonest as it was advertised based upon a subjective assessment of the condition of the vehicle. Advertising is full of subjectivity.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Why even bother with the salesperson if its not what you want?

Because I've been around and owned Nissan Zs all my driving age life. If I could've gotten it cheap enough,I know where to source cheap replacement parts for all years and bodystyles and know many Nissan Z specific mechanics who can help me out with stuff that's beyond my expertise. I was ready to give them 5K for it and not a penny more.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

There weren't dishonest as it was advertised based upon a subjective assessment of the condition of the vehicle. Advertising is full of subjectivity.

If he'd walked up and said "We're asking $9000 for it" and gone from there,then there would be no dishonesty or games. But shoving that $14,900 in my face? That made me walk away unwilling to discuss it any further. They were hoping I hadn't gone on their website,but had only seen it sitting on the lot with no price on it so they could milk more money off of me.

Yeah, there's still some of these guys still in business. Pricing isn't honest and isn't what is advertised, and who knows where the pictures came from. Happens all the time. Move along and if you want a Z, use the national websites and try to buy privately.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

If he'd walked up and said "We're asking $9000 for it" and gone from there,then there would be no dishonesty or games. But shoving that $14,900 in my face? That made me walk away unwilling to discuss it any further. They were hoping I hadn't gone on their website,but had only seen it sitting on the lot with no price on it so they could milk more money off of me.

You asked them what they would sell it to you for. I don't know how Texas handles pricing "errors" on used cars, but you might have a leg to stand on if you offered $9k and they said the internet price was incorrect.

And the sky is blue?

I think he was just expecting you to counter. Which you should have at 4k and moved up to 5k and then walked.

Perhaps the "experienced salesman" brought out a ticket for a different car? That actually happened to me at a dealer, when I asked and showed the web price, he realized he had the wrong vehicle. He even showed me to try and prove he wasn't trying to BS me.

There was no point talking to the salesperson. If it's that bad on the interior, the rest is bound to be trash too and they had no reasonable expectation it would ever sell for $9K so right up front, not worth the time.

Big Dealer near me advertises very low prices on new cars - even on CARS.com and Autotrader

. Fine print says included all rebates and programs and "price includes trade of 2006 or newer vehicle"

I think they have a $495 doc fee too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
[Linked Image]

There's nothing dishonest about that. Would you sell if for $20k less than what you could?

They were hoping I hadn't gone on their website,but had only seen it sitting on the lot with no price on it so they could milk more money off of me.

If cars on a lot have no prices listed, I would just turn around and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back