Best Brand of Gasoline

Get all my Premium at Sam's Club. Other places around here are 40-50 cents more expensive than Sam's Club premium, making it well worth driving a couple extra miles to fill it up. Get my 87 wherever it's convenient.

BP, Marathon, or Shell- 93 octane in all my cars save the Wrangler, which gets Kroger 87 octane.
I have a BP Visa card; I put a lot of purchases on it and pay it off every month. As a result, once or twice a month I get a credit of $1.00 or more per gallon.

My hope is that non-ethanol becomes more plentiful with reduced cost. On my 2012 Ecoboost F150 I bite the bullet and tested two full tanks back to back on the same run so as to be as close to same conditions as possible
Had a solid 3mpg increase over 87 octane with ethanol blend

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
In this order.....
Shell
Mobil/Exxon
Sunoco

Mine is about the same; haven't used anything but Shell in a long time. I've had good luck with Esso here over the years. I used to use Petro-Canada, so mention it instead of Sunoco. The G37 doesn't like it; the other vehicles had no problems. So, I haven't bought from there for a few years. I used to use Husky/Mohawk fuels at one time, but the incentive system changed significantly a couple times over the past many years, so I haven't gone there nearly as much. I probably haven't been to one of them in a couple years.

Top Tier for both vehicles.
Shell, Exxon, Bp/Amoco, Marathon in that order.
87 for the Tahoe 5.3
93 for the Malibu 2.0T

Costco for me because of price and turnover - on the rare occasion I can't get to Costco I'll hit up a QT because they have pretty high turnover as well.

HyVEE or Sams,but that is just because they are both close to where I live. I do go to a Shell when I want to run my rides through the auto car wash about 2-3 times a year. Gas here in Lincoln is priced about the same give or take 3 to 7 cents one way or the other. Not worth driving across the city to save 3-7 cents.I prefer more home time over windshield time.

Well the MPG gains with 76 was temporary. Oh well the local Shell station conversion to Chevron is complete I will go there after my Cali vacation.

Anyone have a favorite brand of gasoline they buy over any other brand when available ?
I was always under the impression that Shell was the best place to gas up, I usually fill up at Conoco, I decided to try Shell & I can tell you that when I fill up at Conoco I get much better gas mileage, I only use regular non ethanol gas, I have also got pretty good milage using Sinclair gas, but Conoco has beat both Shell & Sinclair as far as milage goes, Phillips 66 I get good milage from also, but the Phillips 66 where I live overcharges on everything including gas, so I guess my favorite would have to be Conoco.

I used to use Amoco Ultimate back when it was very highly rated, but since it became BP, I don't know much about it. I use Exxon now due to convenience, as my station is on the corner near my house, and I love their mobile app. No issues with their 93 for about 6 years now.

All I know is Racetrac needs to get with the program and join the Top Tier game already. They're as common as QT in the southeast, yet they insist on selling sh*t fuel. In many locations they're more convenient than QT but I go out of my way to avoid them simply because they have no interest in Top Tier certification.

Racetrac makes you car run lousy, I assume? (which is an OK measure in my book)

I had a '76 Nova (250 cid 6) which ran bad on Gulf and Getty and just fine on other brands.

Can't tell you what's best.

All I know is Racetrac needs to get with the program and join the Top Tier game already. They're as common as QT in the southeast, yet they insist on selling sh*t fuel. In many locations they're more convenient than QT but I go out of my way to avoid them simply because they have no interest in Top Tier certification.
I had to stop using Racetrac because their gas screwed up the fuel level sensor in my Sport Trac. Ran it nearly dry, dumped in two bottles of Techron, filled it to the top of the neck with Chevron 93 and it cleared up, never to return. Chevron wasn't convenient, so I switched to QT and the sensor was working great when I sold the truck years later.

Racetrack won't get it certified because they're happy with the sulfur content as-is.

For those of you who rate your fuel selections based on the MPG you got running a specific brand, I assume you have measured and adjusted for the other variables that affect fuel consumption, such as:
  • Tire pressure
  • Tire alignment
  • Engine temperature
  • Acceleration/braking pattern
  • Percent short trips
  • Idling time
  • Gasoline BTU variations
  • Engine condition/maintenance
  • Road type & conditions
  • Aerodynamic drag
  • Air conditioning usage
  • Seasonal gas formulations
  • Air temperature
  • Air humidity
  • Gasoline temperature
  • Tire type
  • Consistency of fill
  • Altitude changes
  • Vehicle weight
  • Computer MPG accuracy
  • Octane rating/accuracy
  • Hilly terrain
  • Air filter condition
  • Traffic jams

I just drove up from SW Florida via Charlotte NC (75 to 4 to 95 to 26 to 77 to 81 to 78 to 278)…...I used Shell almost exclusively while in Florida because the 'Rewards' card gave me a 5c discount.....While driving up 81 I filled up with a tank of Exxon and my mileage went up by almost 2 MPG. (I was showing 29ish with the Shell vs. 31ish with the Exxon....this is with a 2016 Escape 2.5 NA averaging about 75 MPH (with bursts up to over 85-90ish occasionally to pass).

I've liked Exxon since seeing a story that they had the highest detergent when tested.....I also felt that Chevron ran smooth...I also put a few tanks of off brands like Pilot or Flying J based on price/circumstance. On the drive down after Christmas, when gas was very cheap, I splurged and filled up with a tank of Shell 93 (it was actually more like 2/3 tank because of the residual of regular)....I noticed no difference in mileage or performance....

PS: I find that my MPG indicator is optimistic by about 1 to 2 MPG.....in other words when it states 30 I usually get 28 to 29 when calculated manually (dividing miles by gallons refilled).
Funny thing. Two weeks go I went to Florida from MD.
Had a Shell gift card and an Exxon card.
The Exxon gas on the way home got better than 3mpg over 900 plus miles over the Shell in my hybrid.

They were gift cards but Shell never gives me good mpg in anything I own. Next time I will only ask for Exxon gift cards...reward cards from my cc. Company

Back