More news on self checkouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love self checkouts. Think about it, you have one person who can run 6 or more of those, or you can have that one person running a single lane. That means that without the self checkout lanes you're standing in line, wasting more of your life. There are so many things I'd rather do than stand in line at a store. Pretty much anything.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I can't believe this self checkout isn't subject to frequent shoplifting, intentional or accidental, especially at supermarkets. I've seen cashiers scan items 3 or 4 times before they register, so what's to prevent an inattentive shopper from just scanning and tossing in the bag anything that didn't scan? And that's in addition to intentionally putting a few items in the bag without scanning.

The bagging area is a scale and if it detects weight and nothing was scanned it will pop up on the screen that you need to scan your item. Kind of a simple solution.

For those of you who flat out despise self checkout stands, your answer is here and it's the next step in grocery shopping.

Scan it yourself. Right now stores like Kroger are implementing the self scan system. Pick up a scanner at the entrance, scan the items as you pull them and put them in your cart.

Up front, your checkout stop consists of putting the handheld scanner into the system, choosing your pay method and getting your receipt.

There is also a system that uses a app on your smartphone. Your smartphone becomes the scanner and checkout both. This is even better.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind self-checkouts if they could truly be self-checkouts more often. Lots of items at Home Depot still require employee assistance; spray paint, adhesives, aerosols, various nuts and bolts that don't have a means to look them up on the self-checkout, and the occasional item that won't scan properly. I seem to need assistance half the time I try to use HD's self-checkouts, even if I'm not trying to buy aerosol cans. The grocery store self-checkouts only seem to be useful if you have a few items; I once tried to go through one when I had several items, and after it told me I need to bag items in the bagging area, I didn't bag fast enough and it kept asking me if I was ready to pay. One time I went through to pick up a sushi tray for dinner. Should be simple, right? Well, silly me didn't know I should have kept the free chopsticks in my hand or my pocket. I put it in the bagging area with the sushi and it registered that there was an "unauthorized item" in the bagging area, so it needed somebody to eyeball it to make sure I wasn't stealing. Wait, if I'm supposed to hold on to it or put it in my pocket to keep it from being registered by the scale, couldn't somebody just as easily steal small things the same way?

Seems like every time I'm at Wal-Mart, at least one self checkout is broken, and others are flashing because they need assistance.

Originally Posted by PimTac
For those of you who flat out despise self checkout stands, your answer is here and it's the next step in grocery shopping.
Scan it yourself.

Wasting time PT. They paid for someone's wage in those groceries and by golly someone is going to scan and bag them!

This whole self checkout thing reminds me of the Sack N Save stores of the 1980s. You bagged or boxed your own groceries,but they gave you a discount.

Hmm unmanned checkouts, your charged for the carts and the bags and security stands at the exit to examine.

In Europe most McDonalds are unmanned, you have to build your own with whatever baggies dispense for your burger selection , you also get exactly the prescribed amount of condiments and no more.

It puts the lotion in the basket.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
There will be a time when you have to have a smart phone to do transactions, there will be no money, and control will be complete

Rod

There's a few stores like that already, don't really take cash. I think the local paper did an article on a few of them and then the state forced them to take cash.

Keeps the riffraff out.

There's also costs associated with cash. Have to go to the bank to deposit money and get change plus the risk of getting robbed.

Originally Posted by beanoil
I flat refuse to use self check lanes.
Did that at WM a while back, and was stopped on the way out of the store because my big bag of dog food was not in a shopping bag.
"You are kidding right? You don't have a bag big enough for me to put this in."
" I need to check your receipt, I think you are trying to steal that food."
'Sure, go get your store manager..."

He leaves, so do I.
What a maroon.

Now I make them check everything.

Those walmart people at the exit are worthless. I don't even bother to stop for them. Last time one of them asked me for my receipt, I just waived it in front of her and just kept going. They don't actually have a right to stop you. She just laughed and didn't come after me. For Costco/BJs, I do just slow down but I keep my cart rolling and I just reach back and grab it back from them so they don't take too long pretending to look over everything. Waste of time.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
There will be a time when you have to have a smart phone to do transactions, there will be no money, and control will be complete

Rod

There's a few stores like that already, don't really take cash. I think the local paper did an article on a few of them and then the state forced them to.

In my area a lot of restaurants only take check or cash,
The scratch and dent only takes cash unless you want to pay a $2 transaction fee.

Lots of stores going the opposite direction as well and I don't blame them with the fraud and fees you have to front

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Rod

There's a few stores like that already, don't really take cash. I think the local paper did an article on a few of them and then the state forced them to.

In my area a lot of restaurants only take check or cash,
The scratch and dent only takes cash unless you want to pay a $2 transaction fee.

Lots of stores going the opposite direction as well and I don't blame them with the fraud and fees you have to front

It seems some regions are advancing much faster than others. For decades, guys have always complained that they want to go into a store, get what they need and get out.

Apple was one of the pioneers in this concept. When they opened their stores everyone said they would fail. Instead the opposite happened. Part of that is the experience including the payment. Apple stores have no registers nor lines. Payment is handled with the person that helps you. Interestingly, as most malls everywhere are dying and experiencing lower traffic, the one bright spot is the Apple Store within that mall. They are usually full of customers.

Amazon is testing the pay and go concept at certain Whole Foods and smaller convenience stores they own.

Originally Posted by PimTac

It seems some regions are advancing much faster than others. For decades, guys have always complained that they want to go into a store, get what they need and get out.

Apple was one of the pioneers in this concept. When they opened their stores everyone said they would fail. Instead the opposite happened.

Amazon is testing the pay and go concept at certain Whole Foods and smaller convenience stores they own.

In my area we not only aren't progressing, stores that had phone pay and credit no longer do, we are going in reverse.

In my area interior Malls pay 5x the property tax as an external strip mall,
our government put the mall out of business by taxing it to death.

Also the semi local Apple store went out of business years ago, I would have to drive 100 miles to get to an Apple store.

Just shows how different areas that are urban but lacking infrastructure are from larger city centers

Meh.. Makes no difference to me as long as I can cash out and get out of there. Typical cashier at this type of store in my area wont even make eye contact with you,

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I'm just not a fan of the self-checkout. A couple weeks ago at the nearby Walmart, I had the audacity to scan a bottle of Sta-bil fuel preservative. Next thing I know, the transaction locks up and it won't let me finish the check out. I have to push a button to summon a supervisor. And wait 5+ minutes for the attendant to finish explaining scanning to someone else, and then feel like slothing over to my register. Then she explains, "people huff that stuff." Really??? So there I am, a retired USMC Colonel, in shape, with the haircut, who happens to hold a doctorate degree, being required to justify my decision to purchase Sta-bil, to a clerk who comes off like she dropped out of the 7-th grade! Like she decides whether I'm going to go "huff" Sta-bil or not!!! I know she didn't even know what the Sta-bil was since I had to explain it to her!!! In retrospect, calmed down, I'm glad I exhibited the temperance NOT to counter-quiz her on her obvious food addiction. . .
smirk2.gif

Now, for sure, this is only partly connected to the self-checkout, but it is relevant since the system left me standing there until the over-tasked attendant could get around to "approving" my purchase. Why, thank you, young lady. . . Any time saved was squandered, and then some.
mad.gif
Can you tell I'm still irritated???

The override is to ensure your of age not a 14 year old huffer if you are 18 or older you can huff.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I refuse to use self checkout unless I get a good discount on my items. To me that's like going to a restaurant and bussing your own table,cooking your own food,serving yourself,re-bussing your own table,then cashing yourself out and still paying their sky high prices for a meal. Oh,and don't forget to leave a tip for your privilege of dining in their fine establishment.

That's exactly why I don't pay bills online. It's saving them money, but I'm not getting any of that savings.

My problem with the Scan-'n'-Go, or whatever Walmart calls their stations, is twofold:

1) Lines are often longer than for the cashiers' lanes

2) Most of the WMs here have installed a camera at each station. You can see your face as you grimace at the machine. None of their business what I'm buying, especially when I pay cash. I hold my fedora up and block the camera -- which makes my checkout slower. Ever try to check your items out, bag them, and pay when you have only one hand free? (Yes, I'm sure they have cameras filming you at the regular checkouts, but at least they are not so "LOOK AT BIG BROTHER RECORDING YOU!!!")

This whole self checkout thing reminds me of the Sack N Save stores of the 1980s. You bagged or boxed your own groceries,but they gave you a discount.

The Save-a-Lot chain does that, and you can bring your own bags or buy theirs at .02 or .05/bag. I shopped there a lot for years. Now, with the ongoing Zimbabwe-ification of the metro area, the staff are rude and useless. Further: The chain has stopped carrying honey (?), inexpensive paper towels and cat litter, and the garlic pepper spice I like to use on veggies and other foods. I've bought some black pepper and garlic powder, elsewhere, and mix my own.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

The Save-a-Lot chain does that, and you can bring your own bags or buy theirs at .02 or .05/bag. I shopped there a lot for years. Now, with the ongoing Zimbabwe-ification of the metro area, the staff are rude and useless. Further: The chain has stopped carrying honey (?), inexpensive paper towels and cat litter, and the garlic pepper spice I like to use on veggies and other foods. I've bought some black pepper and garlic powder, elsewhere, and mix my own.

Back in the 70's when times were bad we went to the U Mark It for all our groceries. Everything was priced by us with a grease pencil. ( some youngsters will have to look that up).

We bagged everything at the end. No grocery carts, just large dollies.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
And wait 5+ minutes for the attendant to finish explaining scanning to someone else, and then feel like slothing over to my register. Then she explains, "people huff that stuff." Really??? So there I am, a retired USMC Colonel, in shape, with the haircut, who happens to hold a doctorate degree, being required to justify my decision to purchase Sta-bil, to a clerk who comes off like she dropped out of the 7-th grade! Like she decides whether I'm going to go "huff" Sta-bil or not!!! I know she didn't even know what the Sta-bil was since I had to explain it to her!!! In retrospect, calmed down, I'm glad I exhibited the temperance NOT to counter-quiz her on her obvious food addiction. . .
smirk2.gif

The world does not know you're a colonel with a PhD and more importantly, the world doesn't care. It's immaterial.

If you want Sta-bil, it 'Show us your papers', and nothing else.

Originally Posted by Imp4
If you want Sta-bil, it 'Show us your papers', and nothing else.

And they better be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back