Oil Temperature Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will shut down or go into "limp home" mode if the temp gets too high.
Good to be observant, but I'm guessing you would be thrashing it on a hot day, at a racetrack(Shannonville?) with bad gasoline to have an issue.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI runs oil temps this time of year about 200F - 205F. That's around town. In the Summer months when outside temps get up to 110F - 115F, and the vehicle runs for 30 or 40 miles at freeway speeds, it can get up to 235F. It uses 5W-20 oil. The hottest I ever saw it get was 242F. That was driving uphill at 70 MPH from Bullhead City to Golden Valley on Rt. 68. (550 ft. to 3,600 ft.). That was in June when it was 116F outside. (Dashboard temperature reading).

It's been mentioned on this forum previously that you need high rpm driving to get the oil temperature high.
smile.gif

What are you really asking? I've owned all types of cars from NA to turbo to supercharged and I drive them like a stole them and as long as the car isn't barking at me that there's a problem who cares what the oil temp is or isn't? Just trust the car and drive it. If a light comes on that says the engine is too hot (has never happened to me) then worry about taking it easy and cooling the engine down. Otherwise, drive it like you stole it and stop worrying.

Last edited:
Over the years with different cars and at operating temps I've seen anywhere from 10 or 15°F up to 50°F over coolant temps. Typically 10-25°F over the coolant is the range. coolant can be in 185-210°F range. Depends on the car and the situation but I don't like to be consistently over 240°F for the oil temp. I think with some cars at about 270°F you get a warning light.
I have got some data in an excel sheet but that's what I recall.

My 2018 Jeep rarely gets above 200 in the winter. It typically runs 185-195. In the summer, it is typically 195-215. It will occasionally get to 220 with lots of idling or slow speed running (off roading) and the highest I've observed was 224. It has had Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20. I just changed it, so this summer's run will be on PPU 0w20. It has a factory oil cooler that came with the tow package.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
My 2018 Jeep rarely gets above 200 in the winter. It typically runs 185-195. In the summer, it is typically 195-215. It will occasionally get to 220 with lots of idling or slow speed running (off roading) and the highest I've observed was 224. It has had Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20. I just changed it, so this summer's run will be on PPU 0w20. It has a factory oil cooler that came with the tow package.

Does the JL/JLU equipped with the EVIC tell oil temperature now too? My JK tells coolant and ATF temps but not oil temperature.
frown.gif

On my Caravan here in Ontario it doesn't start registering until 40 celcius and usually sits about 90 celcius in traffic and 80 celcius on the highway depending on the outdoor temperatures.

I have a '14 FXT with an engine that is similar to the one in the WRX and I think the highest oil temp I have seen on my monitor was 231F (111C)...this was a while ago, so my memory might be faulty.
I was running a higher HTHS 5W30 (M1 ESP Formula) at the time and that was making my general oil temps run a bit higher than usual.
Temps were in the mid 90s (~36C) that day and my car was carrying a decent load for a family trip, but I wasn't towing anything. I'm not sure if this affects cars in the same way it does humans as far as shedding heat, but it was also quite humid that day. The peak temp came when I was passing some slower cars during a long climb in an area of low mountains...this was highway 101 up in western NH and there are only short lengths of that road that are 2 lanes for passing, I made sure to take advantage of them and get ahead of the semis and dualies with horse trailers and such. Pretty shocking for New England, but the slower drivers were actually pretty good about moving over to the right and letting others pass on 101...move it over to 93 and there are so many drivers who love to hang around in the left lane, poke around, and just plain be in the way.
Hitting 220F (104C) in the summer with SN/GF5 type oil is pretty common for me.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
My 2015 WRX has never had oil temps above 212ish F. from what I recall. Generally during open highway driving.

Similar for me.

In the winter, the oil temp gauge's highest reading was 209 F (98.3 C) and that was in 3rd gear at 5.5k-6.5k RPM with ambient temp of 30F (-1 C).

In the summer, the oil temp gauge's highest reading was 221 F (105 C) with ambient temp of 90F (32.2 C).

Generally though, it hovers between 199 F and 206 F in winter highway driving and 212 F to 218 F in summer driving on an ILSAC GF-5/ SN-RC oil.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have a '14 FXT with an engine that is similar to the one in the WRX and I think the highest oil temp I have seen on my monitor was 231F (111C)...this was a while ago, so my memory might be faulty.
I was running a higher HTHS 5W30 (M1 ESP Formula) at the time and that was making my general oil temps run a bit higher than usual.
Temps were in the mid 90s (~36C) that day and my car was carrying a decent load for a family trip, but I wasn't towing anything. I'm not sure if this affects cars in the same way it does humans as far as shedding heat, but it was also quite humid that day. The peak temp came when I was passing some slower cars during a long climb in an area of low mountains...this was highway 101 up in western NH and there are only short lengths of that road that are 2 lanes for passing, I made sure to take advantage of them and get ahead of the semis and dualies with horse trailers and such. Pretty shocking for New England, but the slower drivers were actually pretty good about moving over to the right and letting others pass on 101...move it over to 93 and there are so many drivers who love to hang around in the left lane, poke around, and just plain be in the way.
Hitting 220F (104C) in the summer with SN/GF5 type oil is pretty common for me.

That is very similar to what I see with my 2015 FXT (same engine as WRX).

The highest I seen is 110 C while in sport sharp and paddle shifters in high RPM in the summer (25 C ambient).

Right now in NB, Canada (-10 C ambient), I see around 92 C on the highway and 80 C in the city.

I went on a ride with a friend that has a 2019 impreza and the temp on the highway was 103 C for a 4 hour trip. The little FB20D seems to run hotter than our FA20DIT.

Originally Posted by jbutch
I went on a ride with a friend that has a 2019 impreza and the temp on the highway was 103 C for a 4 hour trip. The little FB20D seems to run hotter than our FA20DIT.

Lack of an oil cooler will do that.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
[Linked Image]

That transmission fluid chart isn't any where close to being accurate. That's the chart that's been floating around for twenty years...doesn't take in to account the newer Dex6 spec-and others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w

I figured as much, but I though the turbo would heat up the oil much more than it does.

Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

That transmission fluid chart isn't any where close to being accurate. That's the chart that's been floating around for twenty years...doesn't take in to account the newer Dex6 spec-and others.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by CKN
[Linked Image]

I don't disagree, even though I have a secondary fluid cooler on my transmission that keeps the temps at 170-180*F with Dex 6. What do you think about the engine oil chart? I have read that oil will nitrate (whatever that means) under 175*F and oxidize above 190*F which seems to go along with that chart.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I figured as much, but I though the turbo would heat up the oil much more than it does.

I'm pretty sure that the oil will be hotter in specific parts of the engine, but the coolant will draw a lot of the heat via the exchanger. It's going get really hot where it cools down the turbo, but then the coolant will cool down the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back