TC-W3 Oil add to fuel in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by zorobabel
For those that have used TC-W3 for 7 years, did you have any catalytic converter trouble?

I wondered about this as well...

Plenty of cars burn more motor oil than 1oz per 5 gallons. And TC-W3 is meant to be burned. I doubt it's an issue but I'm sure someone put TC-W3 in their beater and the cat went out.

hatt, true but if the additives in the oil could greatly exceed that found in a typical engine oil because they are designed for engines without catalytic converters. So it could be a problem and without knowing the additive make up we would have to go based on folks using it long-term here.

I would imagine it's ok because converters have been mainstream for a while and there are lots of folks here that used it religiously in the past. It was talked about quite regularly here a decade ago when I joined BITOG.

Last edited:
hatt, true but if the additives in the oil could greatly exceed that found in a typical engine oil because they are designed for engines without catalytic converters. So it could be a problem and without knowing the additive make up we would have to go based on folks using it long-term here.

I would imagine it's ok because converters have been mainstream for a while and there are lots of folks here that used it religiously in the past. It was talked about quite regularly here a decade ago when I joined BITOG.

TC-W3 oils don't normally contain a lot of metal.

There's a guy here who uses it in his Honda Fit. Pistons look like new after somewhere around 80k miles. They literally shine like a mirror.

I use TCW3 in my diesels. Injectors definitely quieter. When I let off the pedal at 35mph to slow for a tight offramp, it sounds like my enginea shut off. First couple of times, I thought that actually happened.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
There's a guy here who uses it in his Honda Fit. Pistons look like new after somewhere around 80k miles. They literally shine like a mirror.

I use TCW3 in my diesels. Injectors definitely quieter. When I let off the pedal at 35mph to slow for a tight offramp, it sounds like my enginea shut off. First couple of times, I thought that actually happened.

Yeah I saw the pictures here... It has just some minor carbon in the middle but otherwise was spotless.

After chatting with Amsoil tech he advised that in Fuel Injected vehicles where this wants to be used that I should use HP Marine Injector oil which is a TC-W3 pre-mix.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/hp-marine-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/

So I ordered a gallon to try since I had PC-Points.
On the bottle it says guards against piston wear and helps fight deposits.

Normal ratio is 50:1 when used as a pre-mix so I will do the 640:1 to start in the vehicle I'm trying it in.

Outstanding Wear Protection
The elevated heat and friction of modern two-stroke marine motors can exceed the film strength of inferior oils, increasing the likelihood of scuffing and wear. HP Marine's exclusive synthetic formulation provides increased lubricity for reduced wear during normal and lean-mix operation (see field study results). In 534 hours of field testing, HP Marine completely prevented piston skirt and cylinder bore scuffing, demonstrating its superior lubricity and ability to reduce friction between moving parts. It maintains a strong lubricating film even in lean-mix, severe-service conditions, helping marine engines achieve maximum life.

Excellent Deposit Control
HP Marine is formulated with MAXDOSEâ„¢, a system of advanced additives for "super-clean" operation. It helps prevent deposits that lead to poor performance. In field testing, HP Marine inhibited ring deposits that can cause ring sticking and ring jacking (carbon buildup behind the ring, forcing it outward), a phenomenon that occurs in modern DFI outboard motors. It also virtually eliminated exhaust port deposits for reliable, efficient operation.

Proven in Marine E-TEC Field Study
HP Marine was installed in a 250-hp Evinrude E-TEC engine powering a heavy-duty marine rescue vessel. Following a 28-hour break-in period at the normal oil setting, the engine was programmed to its factory-lean setting and operated for 506 hours prior to disassembly. An ASTM calibrated rater examined and awarded each component either a merit rating on a scale of 0 to 10 (with 10 representing no distress) or a percentage rating (with 0 percent representing no distress). Results prove HP Marine provided exceptional wear protection and deposit control. See test results here: https://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2987.pdf (More info here)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Also remember that tcw3 is meant to burn ashless, so soot should not be an issue...

True, but beware when running in DI vehicles. I initially had done so with the logic, like for diesels, that it may be useful for the HPFP/IP. But I observed a lot of soot around my tailpipe in my 135i, which I dont see when running without, so that was the point that ended it in DI vehicles for me...

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

I do still run it in my IDI diesels for IP protection (I generally think the lower sulfur thing is true but not the boogey man some make it to be, but TCW-3 in low dose is cheap enough that its easy insurance). I also run in my gas engines that dont go through a lot of fuel due to not getting a lot of driving. TCW-3 to my understanding, contains some fuel stabilizers as well as the oils. To me this is a beneficial reason to use a small dost in gasoline not going to DI engines.

For me, it's more important to get a good mixing of the oil and gas than to get an exact 100% perfect ratio. So I add the oil first, then gas up.
As long as the ratio is between 600:1 and 700:1, it's fine. So I am comfortable estimating the quantity of oil to add. When we drive the same vehicle for awhile and we know how big the tank is... we can pretty accurately estimate how much fuel it will accept from the fuel gauge reading. Pretty simple to estimate how much oil to add first.

So playing with this, I have found that 1oz per 20 gallons of fuel is the best for mileage although 2oz per 20 gallons makes the injectors super quiet along with the engine. Either is better than nothing at all in terms of quietness.

So playing with this, I have found that 1oz per 20 gallons of fuel is the best for mileage although 2oz per 20 gallons makes the injectors super quiet along with the engine. Either is better than nothing at all in terms of quietness.

That's a very low dose, considering most claim the sweet spot is 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas. Did you try that? I would think the small dose you're using would have no impact on anything. At least those were my observations in two vehicles I ran it in at such a low dose. Maybe because the vehicles I experimented with were older with more miles on them?
21.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

That's a very low dose, considering most claim the sweet spot is 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas. Did you try that? I would think the small dose you're using would have no impact on anything. At least those were my observations in two vehicles I ran it in at such a low dose. Maybe because the vehicles I experimented with were older with more miles on them?
21.gif

When I have used TC-W3, both the 1 oz / 5 gallon and 1 oz / 10 gallon ratio yielded the same results as far as smoother idle, quieter engine and increased low and mid range torque. I never saw any difference in MPG.

Sorry everyone that should be 2oz per 20 gallons. I did the conversion from litres of gas to gallons of gas and milliliters to ounces incorrectly.

I started out with 4oz per 20 gallons which is a ratio of 640:1 and settled on 1280:1 with 2oz per 20 gallons being the sweet spot between quietness and fuel economy increases.

+1 on the 1280:1 ratio being best .
Sorry everyone that should be 2oz per 20 gallons. I did the conversion from litres of gas to gallons of gas and milliliters to ounces incorrectly.

I started out with 4oz per 20 gallons which is a ratio of 640:1 and settled on 1280:1 with 2oz per 20 gallons being the sweet spot between quietness and fuel economy increases.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
When I did it I added at the gas station then pumped the gas. I know by the fuel gauge if I need 10 or 15 gallons of fuel. So I'd add either 2 ounces or 3 and pump to a round $ figure ~ 10 or 15 gallons of gas. I might have been a hair over or under on the mix.

I also do it this way. I purchased several 4oz plastic bottles and put 3oz of TC-W3 in each of them, when my fuel gauge reaches 1/4 (21 gal gas tank) I dump the oil in and then gas-up (approx. 15 gallons). IMO this probably mixes the oil with the gas better.
I have been using TC-W3 for about 9 years, soon after reading about it in the LS1 forum https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/
I was initially skeptical, but several things soon made me a believer... my gas mileage improved by about 5%, the slight buzzing noise I heard from the fuel pump went away, the injector ticking quieted down, and the engine ran (and still runs) very smooth and quiet. It has been stated that it also helps to counteract the negative affects of E10. The 5% gas mileage improvement doesn't sound like much, but it does pay for the TC-W3, and then some.
My Toyota is now 14 years old and has over 170k miles on it and it still has the original cat, so I don't think that the TC-W3 has had any negative impact on it's life span. Also, I have not had to replace any injectors, O2 sensors, valves, seals, the fuel pump, or any other fuel system or emission system component.
I buy the cheapest dino TC-W3, usually SuperTech. I did try synthetic TC-W3 for a few months, but the more expensive oil doesn't appear to do any better than the cheaper oil.
In the LS1 forum there is universal agreement that mixing 1 oz of oil to 5 gal of gas is the ratio that provides the maximum benefits, mixing half this amount of oil will not likely provide any noticeable benefits. StevieC, if you mix at this ratio, given the number of miles that you drive, you should be able to report back on any noticeable (positive or negative) benefits in fairly short order.

Since the test went well in the vehicle I was playing with it in, I'm now trying my van this week to see if the 2oz per 20 gallons (1280:1) will hold true, or if it will be 4oz per 20 gallons (640:1).

Will let you know after a couple weeks.

It sounds like the low-dose (1oz to 20 gallons) only affects the combustion process while the regular dose (1oz to 5 gallons) provides a better cylinder and fuel system lubricant/cleaner. Just speculation of course, lots of it on BITOG
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back