2019 (2020?) RAM HD Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bud, fleet service exposes ALL of the weaknesses.

Truth be told, all of the truck brands stink in some way. No exceptions, except my UDs, which are total "oil and fuel only" trucks.

I see them all of the time. Nobody is making a pickup truck that won't give a fleet operator a swift kick in the lug nuts at different times.

Simple fact of the matter is that you just pick the lesser of many evils and roll with it. Some are more evil than others, but Ford does not wear any crown.

They're doing so much "in house" because they were awful at managing contract engine acquisition. They didn't ask the right questions, were AWFUL at negotiations, testing, involvement, and even their exit strategy completely sucked and cost them hundreds of millions.

GM was smart enough to purchase outright or in part two of the hugest diesel engine manufacturers in the world, and Chrysler got involved with the greatest diesel engine manufacturer known at the time. Ford make a good deal with International/Navistar, but they were eventually not up to the task.

Ford was simply out of options. Their deal was so dirty at that point that nobody really wanted to touch the project.

Ford's engines STILL don't make as much torque down in the bucket as the Cummins 6.7 (inline 6 vs. V8, it's just how physics works), still don't have the rated service life of the Cummins 6.7, and still doesn't power as many different machines as the Cummins 6.7, nor as many in total.

It's not a bad engine. Living up the Cummins ISB line is just a ridiculously hard task to pull off. Not that the PSD ever will.

Ram/Cummins main strength is engine.

Ford/PSD main strength is often price and versatility of chassis and upfitting options.

GM has the most refined chassis of them all, using that IFS they have.

You pick the poison that works best for your app. That's it.

Kstanf150, thanks tips. I put on lots of miles, as do my coworkers. It is what it is. Proof? My experience, my opinion. I ask a lot of my work vehicles, I run them hard on and off road. But I do not ask more of the F150's than what the mid 2000 gas Superduty's and Chev 2500's. This is the internet. Take it all in and use some critical thinking.

Doublewasp: classic design from engineers who probably never left their mothers basement. I remember the numerous F250's (around the 2009 MY). They were a solid truck. Slow, U turns like an aircraft carrier but tough as all nails. Now their vacuum hubs were another story. Had one truck that was factory fresh and having to manually lock the hubs in because they were already leaking. What you save in fuel consumption you more than make up with in repair costs and down time. Death wobble was a bit of a problem as well.

Now the 2500's were solid. I only bent the frame on one of them but never had one go down otherwise.

Edit: Fleet service really does expose the ugly truth. I love Ram but we don't run any. Would probably sour me some. Neighbouring offices also had some F150's go down and needing engine and transmission replacements as well. I wont even get started on the Taurus/Explorers.

Last edited:
Nobody likes Ram front-ends. Mine only work well because of the oversized HD box upgrade that is factory pirated down from the 5500.

Newer Rams have all the fixes.

I liked my 2017 Ram 3500 6.7L and would have kept it if I would have not gotten the junk 68RFE in it. The 2019 F250 6.7L I have now is a pretty nice truck and it tows great. I'm much more partial to the easier to work on Cummins engine I must say. I love my Fords but I'll definitely consider the new HD Rams when my warranty is almost done.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
All that wrong with 3 trucks ...³...³...³...³...³
I call BS

Trade em off and buy a YUGO

Dude your blowning smoke out your butt you can't prove
It's your computer screen talking you can't back up
Your the typical blow hard on social media who runs his mouth with no proof

The irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back