Fluorides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

which is the role of the fluorides in grease?

thank you for your feedback,

Last edited:
Hello kschachn,

Actually must not be PFPE, as the prices would be high.
In order to be more exact:
Check for exampleTDS of Liqui Moly LM 48. It says it contains fluorides. I could not decode the SDS completely.
Also check some Klueber products. They say they don't contain fluorides on purpose.

Not sure what these substances are. What are your thoughts?

What is Krytoxâ„¢ made of?

Krytoxâ„¢ fluorinated oils are a series of low molecular weight, fluorine end-capped, homopolymers of hexafluoropropylene epoxide with the following chemical structure:

F-(CF-CF2-O)n-CF2CF3
| where n=10 to 60
CF3

The polymer chain is completely saturated and contains only the elements carbon, oxygen, and fluorine; hydrogen is not present. On a weight basis, typical Krytoxâ„¢ oil contains 21.6% carbon,
9.4% oxygen, and 69.0% fluorine.

Krytoxâ„¢ Performance Lubricants Applications

Where can Krytoxâ„¢ lubricants be used?

Krytoxâ„¢ lubricants can be used in applications where non-flammability, oxygen compatibility, materials compatibility, high-temperature stability, and resistance to aggressive chemicals are requirements. Some examples include:

Automotive: wheel bearing grease, CV joint grease, universal joint grease, fan clutch bearing grease, emission air pump grease, spark plug boot lubricant, weather stripping lubricant, sunroof seal lubricant, clutch throw-out bearing grease, ABS system grease, paint plant conveyor bearings, paint spray system valve lubrication, gasoline pump bearings, windshield wiper motors, oil pressure sensors, truck window lift mechanisms, sintered bearings in motors, leather seats, consoles and trim, flocked and unflocked window seals and channels, door handles, switches, air vents, controls

Aviation: fuel-resistant grease, oxygen-compatible grease, ventilation fan bearing grease, cruise missile rear main bearing lubricant, starter bearing grease, emergency generator bearing grease, missile launch platform gear lubricant, space shuttle lubricant, sealant

Pumps: vacuum pump fluid for corrosive and hazardous service, bearing grease for chemical pumps, O-ring lubricant, barrier fluid between double mechanical seals.

Industrial: corrugator and paper machine bearings, aluminum can manufacturing bearings, vacuum sputtering machines, welding machines, gear oil, linear bearing lubricant, high-temperature fans, cleanrooms, chlorine service, textile equipment, tenter frames, high-speed motors, instrument bearings, sealed-for-life motors, conveyor systems in glass and aluminum plants, textile calender roll bearings, brick kiln car bearings, film blowing machines

Nuclear: submerged sump pump bearings, containment cooling fans, snubbers, control rod drive mechanism fan motors
Valves: lubricant for valve stem packing, relief valve lubricant, O-ring lubricant, steam turbine control valves, low emissions valve stem packing lubricant

Miscellaneous: anti-seize lubricant, bolt thread lubricant, water purifier lubricant, self-contained breathing apparatus lubricant, cryogenic lubricant, vacuum system sealant, drive chains, hydraulic fluids, instrument barrier fluids, heat transfer fluids, geothermal system grease, mold-release agent, fishing reel grease, industrial toast making oven conveyor bearings, windmill gearboxes, glove curing conveyor

To learn more, please request H-58505, "Krytoxâ„¢ Performance Lubricants Product Overview" and/or K-22119, "Krytoxâ„¢ Lubricants Product Selection Guide."

Last edited:
Other than the PFC/PFPE type materials I don't know why a "fluoride" would be in an oil. I also don't know why they would use a metal as part of the composition, that is above my pay grade.

MolaKule,

thank you for your answer.

Just a question (may sound not so clever as I only know the basics of organic chemistry): is it possible that the polymer chain breaks under mechanical stress in the micro level? what happens then? are ions and cations produced and the chain becomes unsaturated again ready to react with the environment, or the environment -machine element, fluid or gas- contain substances that are very unlikely to react with the broken chain?
The question may sound as a 'popular science' one, and since a person like me does not know all the ch. reactions behind the polymerization, I could understand a fraction only of the mechanism-answer, but I would appreciate your answer,

thank you in advance

nice rest of day

You didn't ask me but I will speculate. In a former job long, long ago we dispersed carbon black in a polymer mixture by use of a ball mill. This placed intense impact and shear forces on the mixture, and via various analysis techniques we did not see shearing of the polymers that we were using. The chain length of the PFPE repeat is around 10 to 60 per Wikipedia, which is far shorter than the polymer repeat we were using. So I'm going to say it is too shear stable to be cleaved but Krytox does use thickeners, so I don't know how that is affected.

The chain length of VII molecules is far higher, in the million range is what I have read.

Originally Posted by berlyn
Hello all,

which is the role of the fluorides in grease?

thank you for your feedback,

It is not a Flouride but a flourinated polymer compound which is different.

I have never seen any evidence of scission in flourinated polymers.

Hello MolaKule, kschachn,

Thank you both for the very informative feedback.
Since fluorinated polymer compounds are scission resisting can they be used also as VI improvers if their VI is > in comparison with a base oil?

Calcium fluoride can be used as a high temperature solid lubricant in anti-seize pastes. Claims are that it can be used as a nickel replacement and up to 2400F.

Originally Posted by berlyn
Hello MolaKule, kschachn,

Thank you both for the very informative feedback.
Since fluorinated polymer compounds are scission resisting can they be used also as VI improvers if their VI is > in comparison with a base oil?

I would think not since they do not have the proper coefficients of thickening/thinning. Secondly, when a flourine atom is liberated from a compound, it can become very aggressive and reactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back