5.7 Hemi...now with lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an o.c. with Pennz 5w20 High Milage. Engine has 158k miles. Used 6.5 quarts.

Now it seems to be noisier on lifters.

Should I be concerned? This is a new engine to me (had a 4.7 previously).

GL

Last edited:
My 2018 Ram (company truck) 5.7L has noisy lifters on most cold starts for several seconds, and some hot starts too. The other 15 or so 5.7L's we have do it as well. Quality oil changed regularly, and we switched oil suppliers last year, so it's not the oil.

Hemi Tick

It can be lifters, which yeah I'd do what I can to solve it, or exhuast bolts which are no issue. Yes, there are stories with guys going 200k miles on a ticking hemi, and many many stories of them going a week before the cam lob failed. Redline 5w30 and a RP filter have made a huge difference in many hemi's on this one issue. read the link, ignore the noise, pay attention to the facts.

If you don't want to toss that fresh oil, through in a 15 ounce size of lubeguards biotech, poor mans redline will boost moly, phos, and add some esters. The science behind moly is it can take time, heat and pressure to quiet. Don't forget the "time" part, the lifters will give you pressure and heat if they are ticking. For whatever reason, M0S2 hasn't been as succesful.

Last edited:
My 2012 did the same thing, and it was a 3/4 ton without the MDS. I would run 5W20 and 5W30 Mobil1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, house brands it didn't matter. Did it from 45K to the time I traded it with 93K with 5K oil changes. I did have the exhaust manifold studs replaced under warranty after it snapped 3/4 of them, but the tick was still there afterwards and was definitely lifters. I got rid of the truck because it couldn't stay out of the shop longer than two months without needing something fixed, and the noisy lifters were always shrugged off as "it's normal".

Run it 'til she blows, at the mileage you're at now I'd be worried about dropping a valve seat and grenading the engine that way. Either that or dump it for whatever you ran in it previously (if it was different), see if that makes it happy.

Last edited:
What do you have to loose to run redline 5w30 for a run? Most guys that do this end that tick, check ram forum.

Some oils make the tick sound louder. If I recall, mine did the same thing depending on the oil (PPPP, Mobil 1, Motomaster, QSUD). It always ticked though. Mine also had the even bank exhaust manifold gasket changed and the odd bank manifold and gasket changed in warranty. It is what it is. I ran mine hard, did 10-12,000km oil changes with Napa Gold filters and eventually stretched out the filter change to every other oil change with Ultras. It ran great the day we traded it in with 150,000km.

I'm old school I know
I own a 2018 Ford F-250 with a 6.2L gas motor
Fuel injectors can be quiet noisey sometimes
A good dose of MMO helps out a lot

A dose in the crankcase could clean out some sludge or oil holes and help !!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Rislone (not the concentrate) is better mixed in your oil, than MMO. My experiences anyways. I do use 6oz MMO in the gas tank every-other fill-up. Usually takes 15-17 gallons of gas.

Just keep using your choice of high quality motor oil and change regularly it may go another 150K miles or it may blow while I'm typing this.

Originally Posted by burla
What do you have to loose to run redline 5w30 for a run?

It's customary, when recommending a product, to get the spelling and capitalization correct. It's Red Line, or at least that's what the bottle of SI-1 (not SL-1 as some here say) shows on the label in my garage.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by burla
What do you have to loose to run redline 5w30 for a run?

It's customary, when recommending a product, to get the spelling and capitalization correct. It's Red Line, or at least that's what the bottle of SI-1 (not SL-1 as some here say) shows on the label in my garage.
whistle.gif

If you run Redline you could loosen your belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back