Rotella T6 15w-40 Is JASO MA2 Rated

Originally Posted by troop
Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
You guys are getting me excited! I hope my Walmart stocks it soon, we are in a heavy diesel truck area of PA!

I've been mixing Valvoline MC conventional oil of 20w50 and 10w40 for my bike to combat the sheering.

For those with shared sump and using T5 15w40 how is that? I thought it wasn't rated JASO MA?

Could my '02 Honda CBR 600 F4i use T5 without a problem? I get tired of the high priced MC oils

T5 15w-40 IS NOT JASO MA/MA2 rated. T4/T6 is. Why ? Dunno ....

Because it can't meet something outlined in this bulletin.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/asset...etween%20JASO%20MA%20and%20JASO%20MB.pdf

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
You guys are getting me excited! I hope my Walmart stocks it soon, we are in a heavy diesel truck area of PA!

I've been mixing Valvoline MC conventional oil of 20w50 and 10w40 for my bike to combat the sheering.

For those with shared sump and using T5 15w40 how is that? I thought it wasn't rated JASO MA?

Could my '02 Honda CBR 600 F4i use T5 without a problem? I get tired of the high priced MC oils

I won't risk it. I wonder if I should go back to rotella T4 15w40 vs the Brew of 20w50+10w40...

Fellas, I ran T5 15w40 in the ZRX1200, it was a great oil. 145-150 hp and 85 ft/lbs at the wheel, with torque to burn at about any engine rpm. Did not shear out of grade in 3,700 miles. The "non" JASO MA stuff is fear mongering at best. Look at the used oil analysis, there's nothing in it any different from ones that do have the JASO rating. Use it with confidence. However, with the 15w40 T6, it may/should do even better on shear. Shear is important, but z/p should be up there as well for me to use it.

T5 15w40 analysis, second one in from the right. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603
Also see M1 15w50, Catrol dino 20w50 4T, Valvoline 10w40 ATV, Mystic JT8 15w50, Mobil1 10w40 4T.

I just wonder what about T5 doesn't meet JASO MA/MA2 requirements when their dino T4/full syn T6 does? As Bonz states, no doubt it'll be good, but for those wanting to comply with mfr's warranty specs, it's a no go. And yes, I'm all aware Magnusson-Moss/warranty criteria ...

I just picked up 10 2.5 gallon jugs of T5 ($11 each), and 20 quarts of Valvoline 10W40 4 stroke Motorcycle oil ($1 each) at Wallyworld on clearance.

I have about 20 Honda ATV's from mid 80's to present and have been using T6 5W40 in them with good results. I've always been scared to run the T5 since it's not marked as JASO MA rated.

In for more comments.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Fellas, I ran T5 15w40 in the ZRX1200, it was a great oil. 145-150 hp and 85 ft/lbs at the wheel, with torque to burn at about any engine rpm. Did not shear out of grade in 3,700 miles. The "non" JASO MA stuff is fear mongering at best. Look at the used oil analysis, there's nothing in it any different from ones that do have the JASO rating. Use it with confidence. However, with the 15w40 T6, it may/should do even better on shear. Shear is important, but z/p should be up there as well for me to use it.

T5 15w40 analysis, second one in from the right. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603
Also see M1 15w50, Catrol dino 20w50 4T, Valvoline 10w40 ATV, Mystic JT8 15w50, Mobil1 10w40 4T.

I've also got a ZRX (stock) and have been using Delvac 1 ESP 5W40. Why would anyone running a water cooled street bike use a 15W rather than a 5W or 0W? The advantage of lower viscosity (fast circulation) at cold start is a major plus. If you're worried about shear, why not change the 5W oil 1000 miles sooner and get the cold start advantages? For someone living in an extremely hot climate or putting on 20K miles or more annually, the case for the 5W is less convincing.

Originally Posted by JordanR
Originally Posted by Bonz
Fellas, I ran T5 15w40 in the ZRX1200, it was a great oil. 145-150 hp and 85 ft/lbs at the wheel, with torque to burn at about any engine rpm.

I've also got a ZRX (stock) and have been using Delvac 1 ESP 5W40. Why would anyone running a water cooled street bike use a 15W rather than a 5W or 0W? The advantage of lower viscosity (fast circulation) at cold start is a major plus. If you're worried about shear, why not change the 5W oil 1000 miles sooner and get the cold start advantages? For someone living in an extremely hot climate or putting on 20K miles or more annually, the case for the 5W is less convincing.

To answer your question, there is no cold start advantage of a 0w or 5W oil over a 15W in temperatures roughly over 45 degrees.
So there is no "major plus" 0w40, 5w40 and 15w/40 will all flow the same in above freezing temperatures and certainly above 50F.

There is a MAJOR negative to using a 5 or 0/40 oil, it will shear fast and every time your engine is up to full operating temperature you will be running an out of spec oil that might be closer to something in the upper 20s or low 30s. .

Use what the owners manual recommends, they built the product and know best.

Last edited:
I run the T5 10w30 in my 130 hp SxS with a wet clutch. Zero issues so far and the clutching has not changed.

The 15/40 should be a slam dunk for people using 5/40 as the 5/40 is garbage in shared sump bikes and not recommended by most metric bike manufacturers.
15/40 and you are good to go!

BMW is calling for 5w40 in their bikes, my buddy has a liquid cooled R1200RT. Honda seems to be leaning toward 10w30 (I feel it's a worse option than 5w40, personally, because it will be shearing down to a 20wt) from a "suggestion" stanpoint.

Alarm guy is calling it correctly. I ran 5w40 T6 in my ZRX1200, for a 5360 mile OCI. Here is the link that shows it, far right column. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/1/kawasaki-zrx1200-various-uoas. Granted Kawasaki specs a 5000 mile OCI, and I stretched it out just a bit. Sheared down considerably, 14.2 cSt to begin with from what I can find.

Here is the link for M1 10w40 4T, first column on the left, 4603 mile OCI. Held up well in terms of shear considering it starts at 13.4 cSt to begin with. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603

Look on either link, for the T5 15w40 syn blend column. Only a 3700 mile OCI, held up really well.

With all that said, wear numbers in the grand scheme are what we are after. IMO, viscosity retention is what helps with shift quality and the closer the oil is to a 40wt or higher for as long as possible, the better it shifts from my experience.

Feel like it's time to settle down and run an oil for more than one OCI.
smile.gif
. Currently running M1 20w50 VTwin, and now straight 40wt VR1 seems to have some legitimacy as an oil from one of the more recent threads. Then new 15W40 T6 is on the table as well once it shows up in my Walmart.

FWIW, saw 10w30 Supertech ATV oil at Walmart today, $5.76/qt. Haven't seen the MC 20w50 Supertech yet.

I'm not aware of any difference between Rotella T4 15w40 and T5 15w40 semi-syn blend,, I mean, T4 has the JASO MA markings on the jug sure, and not so for T5, but to me it seems like it's only about the marketing of a product, and to me both are the same oil, well ok maybe the T5 gets steam cleaned a bit more in the burners than the T4 does and thereby can name the T5 as a semi-syn, dunno, but to me it's all about the marketing of the products, I mean these big oil companies don't really see the motorcycle market as their main market focus right? it's just their niche market, to me anyways, and they already have a T4 marked as JASO MA and the T6 is JASO marked also, so what do they actually benefit from the extra efforts and associated costs of marking the T5 jugs that too? my point is I don't see any harm in using a T5 in a shared sump motorcycle, but i'm open to learning, my 3 cents worth

actually, I would not be shocked at all to find out that this new Rotella T6 15w40 is a re-jugged T5, ok flame suit on

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Degreaser
actually, I would not be shocked at all to find out that this new Rotella T6 15w40 is a re-jugged T5, ok flame suit on

If it was the same exact oil as T5 which meets JASO, then T6 would also meet JASO and have it marked on the bottle. Apparently they either didn't bother to test T6, or they did test it and it didn't pass the test requirements.

Reality is the T5 15w40 doesn't have a JASO MA rating. However, common logic shows and says it is an HDEO that meets the same specs as other HDEO's that are JASO rated (I.E. it will work well). I ran it without an issue and others have as well. Guys get hung up on the rating, when from actual use and UOA comparison, it will be a great oil with no downside. For those guys, not using it would be a good decision in order to sleep at night. Others can use it and have a good oil that held up as well as anything based on my UOA.

Degreaser, based on actual use of T5 15w40, you are very correct to say it will work in shared sumps with no problems.

Motorcycles aren't their main market, but they also know most guys can and will read between the lines. Shell is happy to take a good bit of $$ in sales away from motorcycle specific oils relatively speaking.

If the T6 15w40 holds up as well viscosity-wise and shift quality-wise as Mobil 1 10w40 4T did, over an almost 5000 mile OCI, I will be all over it as long as Z and P numbers are decent (1100-1200 Z, 1000-1100 P or better). Mobil 1 is not the least expensive or the most expensive MC oil, however if I have to change the new T6 every 3,000 miles because shift quality is falling off, the potential lower pricing means little.

Time will tell, look forward to an analysis from one of the early adopters.

Last edited:

If it was the same exact oil as T5 which meets JASO, then T6 would also meet JASO and have it marked on the bottle. Apparently they either didn't bother to test T6, or they did test it and it didn't pass the test requirements.

Not sure what you mean by this.. the first post of this thread "Sure enough its MA2 rated for our bikes. It may just what we have been waiting for"

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Not sure what you mean by this.. the first post of this thread "Sure enough its MA2 rated for our bikes. It may just what we have been waiting for"

I was going by what Degreaser posted sbove, but got my comment mixed up. I should have said:

"If T5 was the same exact oil as T6 which meets JASO, then T5 would also meet JASO and have it marked on the bottle. "

So I finally ran this in my old Honda which is spec'd for either 10w-40 or 20w-50 depending on the weather and the bike runs better on this oil than T4 or T5 which it has always been a little rattily using. If your bike falls into this spec, give this oil a try.

I believe the JASO rating is up to the manufacturer...? I'm looking at a year old bottle of Mobil1 Vtwin with a outline of a Harley type bike on the front and JASO is nowhere to be found..

Back