Auto Stop Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ekpolk
I guess the part that has me baffled is why would those of you who so strongly "hate" this system would purchase a vehicle so equipped in the first place. Apart from fleet users who might have such cars or trucks "forced" upon them, I assume that each of you got to test drive the vehicle in before buying it. I'm not asking this in some snotty, "why'd you do THAT" sense at all. Is this something that you don't really notice at first, and then it UN-grows on you, or is there something else going on? I guess I don't just don't see how people end up hating something that was obviously there all along when "that something" is something they could have passed upon at the outset.
21.gif

If you like a certain vehicle and it meets your needs, would this one detail kill the decision?

It's a give and take. For some, they will never want it until the day comes and their favorite vehicle comes with it.

I have all the nannies on mine. With the lane departure warning system I didn't want the annoying beeping nor the feedback and certainly not the correction. So I adjusted the settings. Now I get a visual warning in the HUD. So I do understand the tendency to dislike certain systems. But it's not like we can pick and choose either.

Originally Posted by rocky8314
For or Against??

I found it annoying...Drove a Malibu rental and hated it...or maybe i wasn't used to it...don't know

First thing I do after starting my new Hyundai engine is disable the start/stop. The button is right below the transmission shifter on the middle console.

I guess the part that has me baffled is why would those of you who so strongly "hate" this system would purchase a vehicle so equipped in the first place. Apart from fleet users who might have such cars or trucks "forced" upon them, I assume that each of you got to test drive the vehicle in before buying it. I'm not asking this in some snotty, "why'd you do THAT" sense at all. Is this something that you don't really notice at first, and then it UN-grows on you, or is there something else going on? I guess I don't just don't see how people end up hating something that was obviously there all along when "that something" is something they could have passed upon at the outset.
21.gif

The one I use is used by my employer. Too bad the interior is cheap hard plastic and this auto start stop non sense because with the 10 Speed the 3.5 ecoboost makes for a fun ride.

21.gif

The problem is that if you're looking at a particular model, you don't have a choice. Pretty much all 2014+ Mercedes E-350's have it. I only like sedans so it's not like there's some other model or make that doesn't have it these days. It can be disabled at the start of a trip, but must be disabled every time unless you spend money on a specific defeat device. That car has a lot of other safety systems like automatic braking so there's always pros and cons with a particular model.

Originally Posted by CKN
That's really a silly statement. The things is-the exact same statements were made about ABS-"What if it fails or doesn't work properly?".I'm sure maybe there are failures of ANY SYSTEM. But it's a percentage with many zeros behind the decimal point.

ABS can fail and your brakes will still work. A car can fail to start for a multitude of different reasons. It's not, "techno phobia". It's reality. And it doesn't have to fail to start either. Just hesitate, and or start hard. Happens all the time. Yes, even in these brand new, computerized wonder mobiles.

You see cars every day that require cranking for several seconds before they start. Especially in very hot weather. These things require an engine to start dozens of times. Perhaps hundreds in a single trip any distance in heavy traffic. With the A/C, and God knows what else running full tilt. Now, all of a sudden, you're going to tell me it has become a total mathematical improbability, that in one of those hundreds or thousands of times, that the engine doesn't fire off in the first Nano second it's supposed to? And instead cranks for several seconds before the engine starts, and the car moves. And how many people are going to change their driving habits because of these things? Most won't until they get into a wreck with one.

All these things have to do, is what they've already done. And that is make people uncomfortable driving them. Nothing else matters. People are not going to be so thrilled to pay $50K+ for a vehicle with one of these mechanical abortions in it, so they can have sweaty hands making left turns with it in heavy traffic. Regardless of how many zeros you want to put after the decimal point. All in some silly attempt to convince them how fantastically dependable it is, at saving them 15 cents worth of gas driving to Wal-Mart.

The result is what you are already seeing in this thread...... They hate them, pure and simple. You can carry on all you want about how wonderful these things are. The fact remains there is already a very successful market for devices that override them. They're selling like hotcakes because people who are stuck with vehicles that have these things, despise them. How many modules do you see being manufactured to override ABS systems, or seat belt alarms?

https://www.smartstopstart.com/

What's silly is not only the way these manufacturers are trying to come up with these idiotic ways to over complicate things. All in some Rube Goldberg attempt to try and save a few cents worth of gas. But how the consumer market is buying into it hook, line, and sinker. Only because it's being shoved down their throat. As if it's supposed to taste better that way.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by CKN
That's really a silly statement. The things is-the exact same statements were made about ABS-"What if it fails or doesn't work properly?".I'm sure maybe there are failures of ANY SYSTEM. But it's a percentage with many zeros behind the decimal point.

ABS can fail and your brakes will still work. A car can fail to start for a multitude of different reasons. It's not, "techno phobia". It's reality. And it doesn't have to fail to start either. Just hesitate, and or start hard. Happens all the time. Yes, even in these brand new, computerized wonder mobiles.

You see cars every day that require cranking for several seconds before they start. Especially in very hot weather. These things require an engine to start dozens of times. Perhaps hundreds in a single trip any distance in heavy traffic. With the A/C, and God knows what else running full tilt. Now, all of a sudden, you're going to tell me it has become a total mathematical improbability, that in one of those hundreds or thousands of times, that the engine doesn't fire off in the first Nano second it's supposed to? And instead cranks for several seconds before the engine starts, and the car moves. And how many people are going to change their driving habits because of these things? Most won't until they get into a wreck with one.

All these things have to do, is what they've already done. And that is make people uncomfortable driving them. Nothing else matters. People are not going to be so thrilled to pay $50K+ for a vehicle with one of these mechanical abortions in it, so they can have sweaty hands making left turns with it in heavy traffic. Regardless of how many zeros you want to put after the decimal point. All in some silly attempt to convince them how fantastically dependable it is, at saving them 15 cents worth of gas driving to Wal-Mart.

The result is what you are already seeing in this thread...... They hate them, pure and simple. You can carry on all you want about how wonderful these things are. The fact remains there is already a very successful market for devices that override them. They're selling like hotcakes because people who are stuck with vehicles that have these things, despise them. How many modules do you see being manufactured to override ABS systems, or seat belt alarms?

What's silly is not only the way these manufacturers are trying to come up with these idiotic ways to over complicate things. All in some Rube Goldberg attempt to try and save a few cents worth of gas. But how the consumer market is buying into it hook, line, and sinker. Only because it's being shoved down their throat. As if it's supposed to taste better that way.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a sure winner to me!

I found it annoying...Drove a Malibu rental and hated it........

Originally Posted by CT8
Hate.

Originally Posted by MParr
I hate it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Had a chevy rental with it. I hated it. Would not buy one unless it could be bypassed or deselected.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I don't like auto stop/start. Have had it on a few rental vehicles in the past. My V6 Impala does not have auto stop/start, would not have purchased if it did.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
Hate it too.

Originally Posted by Trav
Hate it.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
....I disable it at each ignition cycle...... I would NEVER buy a vehicle that does not allow disabling.

Originally Posted by buck91
I despise the auto stop/start in our 2018 F150......

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I had it in a rental Mercedes and absolutely despised it. We also had it in a rental Durango and quickly disabled it.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
My Nox has it...hate it......

Originally Posted by MrOctober44
I all so think that It gonna be a problem down the road with this system !!! Hate it,

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I hated it in anything I drove or road in that had it....

I wouldn't own a car with it, unless it could be disabled.....

Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
I was driving my dad's 2018 cadilliac ATS turbo 4 cylinder a lot recently, and found it to be quite annoying. It really shakes the whole car when it starts. I realy found it annoying when it would choose to restart. When driving in traffic I got so Annoyed when I actually had to come to a complete stop that I modified my driving so i would rarely have to.....

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'd never buy a vehicle with it.......

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
First thing I do after starting my new Hyundai engine is disable the start/stop......

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Yes, because I have not ever once adapted my riving to the way a vehicle works. What a crock.

Under your logic, you'd drive an econobox the same way as a sports car, through a snowstorm to boot.

Every vehicle has its own charecteristics, and driving one of them means understanding that.

I like start/stop if it's well designed. In my Atlas if I'm using just enough brake pressure to hold the car, it won't turn off. If my wheels are turned, it won't turn off. If I'm crawling a parking lot it won't turn off yet in a drive thru it will.

It is very intuitive and it hasn't yet turned the engine off when I didn't expect it to.

My Volvo on the other hand would sometimes shut the engine off before even coming to a complete stop. The system was hyper agressive and I couldn't stand it.

How many people hate it but still will not read a manual . So hop on the inter web to display their ........

Originally Posted by honeeagle
How many people hate it but still will not read a manual . So hop on the inter web to display their ........

How do you know they are not reading the manual, and what does have to do with no liking the stop start function?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by CKN

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Since I keep my vehicles for a long time my worry is their performance as the vehicle ages. Cars develop hot start issues, sensors corrode, grounds become loose or corroded.
I can see troubleshooting these new start/stop systems to be quite a challenge, while regular starter issues without stop/start are relatively easy to troubleshoot.

How do you know they are not reading the manual, and what does have to do with no liking the stop start function?

if they read the manual they might know how it works and ...........

turn it off
but then we couldn't waste time complaining

there are a 1/2 dozen ways to thwart s/s ,it just begs you to turn it off.

My daughters Escape has a switch you can turn on that disables the auto stop/start (must turn on every time you start the car)...If you put it in Sport mode that disables it...also once you drive it you learn by just easing up a tad on the brake pedal once stopped the system does not kick in...Still..I wish it was not on the car

For or Against??

I found it annoying...Drove a Malibu rental and hated it...or maybe i wasn't used to it...don't know

My M3 is automatically off and I never turn it on.

Adapting can be hard for some. Each time a certain aspect or part of a vehicle changes or goes away, the wailing and gnashing of teeth fill the air. Some examples;

The demise of the manual choke

The change from oil bath to paper element air filters

The transition from manually adjusted seats and hand cranked windows to power

The move of the high beam dimmer switch from the floor to the steering column stalk

The change to fuel injection from carburetors

The advent of seatbelts.

turn it off

The problem is that on some cars, it can't be turned off permanently. That's what some people are complaining about, they have to turn it off each time they start up the car. There's a few models that let you turn it off permanently, but those don't seem that common.

Basically it's another trick to get a little more mileage out of CAFE. Same as the turbo trends and 4 cylinders instead of 6, it's the only way to increase gas mileage due to ever increasing CAFE requirements.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Adapting can be hard for some. Each time a certain aspect or part of a vehicle changes or goes away, the wailing and gnashing of teeth fill the air. Some examples;

The demise of the manual choke

The change from oil bath to paper element air filters

The transition from manually adjusted seats and hand cranked windows to power

The move of the high beam dimmer switch from the floor to the steering column stalk

The change to fuel injection from carburetors

The advent of seatbelts.

Let's not get overly dramatic. The things you mention are not even on the same level as start/stop feature because they for the most part vastly improved ownership experience by simplifying maintenance requirements.

Remember those automatically retractable seat belts? Those were supposedly "here to stay".
Remember flip up head lights? Those were supposedly "here to stay" because they improved aerodynamics.

Technologies come and go and it's hard to say hwat is "here to stay" and what next can potentially replace it. Just because some don't like certain new things, doesn't mean they are old neanderthals stuck in their old ways.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

turn it off

The problem is that on some cars, it can't be turned off permanently. That's what some people are complaining about, they have to turn it off each time they start up the car. There's a few models that let you turn it off permanently, but those don't seem that common.

Basically it's another trick to get a little more mileage out of CAFE. Same as the turbo trends and 4 cylinders instead of 6, it's the only way to increase gas mileage due to ever increasing CAFE requirements.

If it is turned off permanently there will be no EPA/cafe credit

honestly the pile of ladies undergarments in a twist is astounding

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back