Just spent 22 days in the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was discharged from the hospital after 22 days recovering from what started out as regular old Pneumonia!

It all started out in Jan. I would get just a little sick then get better after a couple days. This would repeat a number of times until I finally went to the Dr. and was prescribed the typical drugs for Pneumonia. Fast forward 5 or 6 days and I was feeling very well when it hit me, a pain in the chest so great that it put me to my knees. An ambulance took me to the local emergency room where they thought I was having a heart attack. After ruling out a heart attack they put me into a CAT Scan machine and came back with the news that they thought they saw a large mass on my right lung and was sent to a larger hospital in the area.

Once at the new hospital they did another Cat scan and found that the right side of my chest was filled with fluid, placed 2 chest tubes and began what they called Lytic Therapy For a condition called Empyema Link to Empyema . After days of flushing my chest cavity with clot busting fluids and no real results it was decided that Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery was needed to remove the remaining stuff. Well they ended up splitting me wide open after taking a peek and found that the fluid had hardened up to a point that much of it had to be peeled out of my chest cavity like removing the peel off an orange!

Now due to the extent of the surgery I am restricted from even driving my car for 4 weeks and am pretty much home bound. I can't even change my own oil!

Well 22 days later and I am home and have a few words of wisdom.
1. If you are sick, take care of yourself before it gets really bad.
2. After all the checks. You will only get a couple hours of sleep a day at a hospital.
3. Hospital beds are the most uncomfortable creations ever made by man.

Wow, reads like a terrible ordeal and I imagine words don't do it justice. Glad you are on the mend, best wishes for a complete recovery. Been putting off getting the Pneumonia vaccine, think I'll try and do it this week.

Wow! Glad to know you're recovering after quite an ordeal. I got my first pneumonia shot last fall. Gods speed.

WOW! Sounds just like my story in Feb. 2016. FWIW, my recovery was complete . . . like it never happened. Prayers that your recovery goes as well.

Absolutely see the Dr. sooner rather than later. My Dr. said that if I had waited much longer, it may have killed me.

Best wishes for a complete recovery

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
2. After all the checks. You will only get a couple hours of sleep a day at a hospital.

When I was in, all the poor, starving doctors in the place would come by in the wee hours, ask me how I''m doing, and then bill me for consultations.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wow. Hope you have a good recovery and really hope you have good insurance. My wife just spent 2.5 days in and it was over $20k.

I have a family member spend 3 months in the hospital and it was over $3.3M billed to Humana.

Sometimes you have no choice to be hospitalized until doctors sign discharge paperwork and do rehab.

The older a person gets, the more likely health problems.

That's a rough ordeal if I ever heard one … Speedy recovery and forward health …

I wish the OPer a speedy and complete recovery!!
That is a terrifying story, glad you are here to tell it.

Some of the comments got me thinking about the bills my father got after my mother died in the hospital...
Practice of Drs. Smith and Johnson, consultation at X hospital at 10am on YY/YY/YY, $10,000.
Separate envelope, Dr. Smith, consultation at X hospital at 10am on YY/YY/YY, $10,000.
Another envelope, Dr. Johnson, consultation at X hospital at 10am on YY/YY/YY, $10,000.
These crooks were triple billing a man who was thinking about selling his house to pay his deceased wife's medical bills...my sister and I were scared to death until we all finally realized that our mother had double insurance coverage and most of it would be taken care of. We went to the doctor so little that we didn't know how insurance worked...my father literally had a stroke and didn't even want to see a doctor, much less go to the hospital.
I would hope the insurance companies quickly saw through the little scam...

I had a friend who went through something similar. Surgery was required to drain her lung.
Take care and appreciate your health. 22 days, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back