Home furnace recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a 20ish year old Lennox furnace that is working intermittently. The flue blower motor is $500-600 and not available as an aftermarket part. Now anyone have brand preference and and decibel level info. I was told to stay away from carrier as repairs are really expensive. I'm seeing goodman brand furnaces in the $849 range but are "value" priced. All help is appreciated

It cost me $60 to replace the control board for the first time on my 30 year old Carrier (Bryant). They must have changed something??? I can't help at all with any up to date information. I would avoid brands that have proprietary parts vs. generic ones ($500 flue blower?). My son replaced his 12 yr. old Goodman flue blower for under $150, plug and play. Based on the last recent similar discussion, many stated that the skill of the installer was as important (maybe more) than the brand. I have to guess that like all appliances, furnaces have become commodities? I want to believe (guess) that Goodman has upped their game while the more traditional name brands have probably reduced their construction quality. Again, just an uninformed opinion.

I recently had to replace my Weil Maclean from 92. My gas valve had a module/brain built in, and they discontinued the 100k BTU size in my house. My installer went with a Genesis, no complaints. I remember it had somewhat sneaky labeling though, like assembled in USA (huge bold USA) which makes me think I have some Chinese stuff inside.

I had Carrier installed 2 years ago. Replaced a failed Trane from 1999. I have zero complaints about the Carrier, quiet, does it's job. This winter has been harsh, we were warm and humidity stayed around 30% all winter.
Goodman is contractor entry level, but I've seen them go in EVERY new construction in my neighborhood.
The 420k condo about a block away is all Goodman.
I will say it has a very sophisticated 3rd party environment control unit in front of it though, with servo motors and flaps in the runs to each room.

I have a Heil brand furnace, the parts are easy to get on line. Recently, I replace the draft inducer was making noise. I bought the part in Amazon for 120. Nice furnace make sure to size it correctly.

Have you thought of a DAIKIN it's a japanese furnace and Daikin is the largest manufacturer (in numbers) of furnaces in the world, I did replace my Carrier with this Daikin, amazing furnace it also comes with a 12 years warranty parts & labour and you can match it with a Daikin thermostat that speaks to it via blu-tooth, amazinhg esy interface. Have a look at it.

Last edited:
We purchased an American Standard 80 percent unit with an AC setup in our texas house.

It is the same as Trane, all the parts inside are stamped trane.

in our new home amana furnace and central air was installed by contractor, which is owned by Goodman, going on four years with no complaints.

I had a Lennox in the house when I bought it. Thing was 20 some years old. Replaced it with a slightly larger model 17 years ago. The unit has ran like a top no issues. I would also say make sure its sized correctly. Stick with a known brand.

My house came with a 1970's vintage Olsen. About 8 years ago IIRC, we replaced it with a Goodman that has multi-stage heat and fan. I have it operated by an Ecobee and we've been quite happy with it.

Not sure where the idea that Carrier is more expensive than anything else to repair is coming from. Has not been our experience with our Carrier furnace (and there are dealers everywhere here for them and Bryant..). (And I'd say Carrier is fine as a brand based on our experience - two repairs over 23+ years...)

More important than the brand is the installer. Find a good one...

DAIKIN bought Goodman and is essentially the same. Daikin has different styled front panels and paint color than Goodman.
The real issue With Goodman is that anyone can buy Goodman products and install them, which many shotty installers unfairly give the brand a bad rap . Other than Goodman and Rheem,
you cant buy the other brands for the most part without having a license and/or being a dealer-installer.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
DAIKIN bought Goodman and is essentially the same. Daikin has different styled front panels and paint color than Goodman.
The real issue With Goodman is that anyone can buy Goodman products and install them, which many shotty installers unfairly give the brand a bad rap . Other than Goodman and Rheem, you cant buy the other brands for the most part without having a license and/or being a dealer-installer.

You're right, Daikin bought Goodman but the 2 are similar not the same. Goodman is the builder's brand, Daikin needed an entry level product which they didn't have. Daikin is a bit upmarket, don't know the $$ difference. I think either one would be a good choice.

Use a good installer. Whatever brand you get don't get the most expensive model they sell. I recommend a mid range unit. The most expensive units are only slightly more efficient and have a lot more chance of something expensive breaking. Some installers offer a 10 year complete warranty including labor. That may be a good option as they are not going to warrant a junk unit for that long.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Not sure where the idea that Carrier is more expensive than anything else to repair is coming from. Has not been our experience with our Carrier furnace (and there are dealers everywhere here for them and Bryant..). (And I'd say Carrier is fine as a brand based on our experience - two repairs over 23+ years...)

More important than the brand is the installer. Find a good one...

Same here. The builder installed a base-model Carrier when my house was built and I replaced it last fall (after 18 years) with another Carrier, still 80% efficiency, but not the bare-bones model this time. The only repairs I had to make were the occasional igniter, and once I saw how easy that was, it was a $30-$40 part and 5 minutes work.

I have an 8 year old Bryant I95. It needs heat exchangers replaced and has had to be serviced several times this year alone. The estimate for the repair is $1300. It'll be the last Bryant (or Carrier) I own. I'm going to replace it because it is becoming a money pit.

I'm not sure what I'll go with, though. It won't be the latest tech. Instead, it will be something a little conservative, reliable, and proven.

I do HVAC and would advise to stay away from goodman/amana and daikin.

My recommendation would be Bryant/Carrier, American Standard/Trane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back