Are Hi-Point's Really Junk ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-Point reviews are surprisingly good. From what I understood they used heavier metal and they look like cheap junk. I guess if it works?

They function extremely well and have fantastic warranty should you need it. They are heavy, but make a good house or car gun. I had a 9mm for awhile just to see. Never malfunctioned!

WoW! He is lucky not to be hurt , or hurt someone near him if that thing had blown up! I don't see how it held together either!

I just ordered the 9mm carbine in FDE scheme for giggles at the range. Most of the reviews I watched on YouTube say the gun shoots great, is accurate and reliable, trigger is meh, it's heavy and ugly. If I can knock over cans at 50 yards at the range I could care less how it looks. Plus the life time warranty is nice.

I've spent some time with the high point 45 carbine. Reasonably accurate, heavy, fun. Worked well too. While it's clearly not a high end product, it's certainly a fun toy. In fact I'm kind of glad it's not an expensive product, as I think it's just a toy.

My issue with it has nothing to do with it's quality, but rather that it's the size and weight of a rifle, yet has 14.2% of the ballistic energy of a similarly sized 308.

I sometimes shoot in a range. Yes, I wear gasses and ear protection BUT Imagine if the shooter next to you had a barrel malfunction.

I have a friend that reloads, and he just uses whatever to save money. I do not even know if he has a reloading guide.
I know he has had excess pressure problems as he showed me the "junk" primers he bought that were actually excess pressure, the case was also starting to split where necked down. I explained to him about excess pressure and recommended he toss those cases and get a loading guide.
Saw him later and he told me how stupid I am as those cases shot fine. I no longer go target shoot with him, while I hope not, I fear it is only a matter of time. Guns are wonderfully engineered and pretty idiot resistant. I am not buying any used guns from him either. He burns out a barrel and then sells gun at a gun show.

I don't know about the hand guns but I have 995 carbine I bought in 1998. It has had many thousands of rounds through it, doesn't

get cleaned very often, never a FTF. The main drawback to it is the low capacity magazines, but with the Redball 20rd mags that problem is solved.

I also have a "second gen" 995TS, just as reliable, easier to field strip. I will likely pick up the 1095TS as soon as Redball comes out with a 20rd mag

for it.

I can see getting one to waste ammo in but I would not use it or carry it for protection. My personal favorite is the Taurus' they have come a LONG way and now are tooled and built off the Baretta line with a lifetime warranty. I own a 9mm, .40 and .45, they shoot flawlessly and are very accurate. My dad liked them so much sold his Kimber and bought 3!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
How did that barrel NOT blow up!?!

Or the action? Considering they're blowback operated. 100% of the gas energy was directed rearward. At least until the case cleared the chamber.

My. 40 is an absolute tack driver; everyone who shoots it is stunned by its accuracy. It is one of the guns I rotate through my desk at work, although a Sig P250 is filling that niche at the moment. May see what else is in the safe here and rotate the Sig out ...

My . 45 has never had a misfire; should be routine to say that about any gun, but I can't say that about the Sig P220 Carry I bought for my wife ... So Hi Point > Sig ...

A buddy borrowed my C9 to have it tested; the goal being to prove some perp could not have shot someone the way the govt said it went down. I personally have not shot it, but apparently it worked fine, and it did go down the way they said ...

I have a 9mm carbine ( everyone should ), but haven't had a chance to shoot it in the ten or so years I've had it. Could be junk, but I doubt it.

I heard they were going to do a 10mm carbine - that would probably be a lot of fun.

For being cheap they arent.GM aint cheap but is becoming junk. Customer service is great and its made in USA. I think some car companies in Detroit would be smart to see how this company takes care of its customers and replicate the idea. There is a lot of bashing on HP. I'm not a fan,but they work and not everyone has 1000.00 to buy the H&K. I think they are getting better and better each year. If I was a 12/hr worker and this was all I could get then I would just take care of it until I got something better.

Waste of money. Save up another $75 and get a real gun. I have bought numerous real guns in the $250 range that were 100% reliable and FAR better guns than any $179 HiPoint.

The SD9VE sells for $260 brand new almost year round. The XD9 is $279 now, brand new. Used, ive bought Glocks and Beretta 92FS for under $300.

Hi-Points have basically always been good and cheap. And ugly with substandard ergonomics.
The company is great at standing behind its products.

The .40 and .45 are like holding a cordless drill.
The 9mm is more normal in size and feel. Just that it looks and feels like a double-stack but it's only single-stack.

I think carbines like the 995 are great for people who aren't comfortable or good with handguns, lack the strength for a bigger and more powerful rifle, don't want a bigger and more powerful rifle, etc.

My main disappointment with Hi-Points is the capacity. That wouldn't matter for people in states with dumb "high-capacity" laws.

Prices have gone up a bit on Hi-Points. Now it's hard to recommend one of the handguns, (or various handguns from various other companies), when someone can just get a Taurus Mil G2 instead at the good prices they've been at.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Someone that stupid should not be allowed to own a firearm.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I sometimes shoot in a range. Yes, I wear gasses and ear protection BUT Imagine if the shooter next to you had a barrel malfunction.

I have a friend that reloads, and he just uses whatever to save money. I do not even know if he has a reloading guide.
I know he has had excess pressure problems as he showed me the "junk" primers he bought that were actually excess pressure, the case was also starting to split where necked down. I explained to him about excess pressure and recommended he toss those cases and get a loading guide.
Saw him later and he told me how stupid I am as those cases shot fine. I no longer go target shoot with him, while I hope not, I fear it is only a matter of time. Guns are wonderfully engineered and pretty idiot resistant. I am not buying any used guns from him either. He burns out a barrel and then sells gun at a gun show.

I've heard a story about Ruger wanting to "prove" the durability of the cap and ball revolver that they made an number of years back.

Under very careful(blast proof) conditions they stuffed as much Bullseye as would fit under a ball, and then attempted to fire it. They had to go out of their way to get it to even light, as percussion caps don't nececessarily cooperate well with smokeless powder, but finally did and the gun held up for 6 rounds. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's a testament as to how well built the gun is.

I'd be scared to know how much Bullseye would actually fit in a 44 caliber "Army Model" revolver. I've never used Bullseye in 45 Colt(no longer made PB is actually my preferred powder for normal loads, although I've also used Unique, and have even stuffed in 25gr of Win 296 for use strictly in my Blackhawk-that load came from a recent Lyman manual, and I did work up to it), but seem to have a number of around 8gr in my head for 44 special with a 240gr bullet(always verify in a manual, and don't take my word for it-I haven't used that particular powder-cartridge combo in several years). Bullseye is fine and dense enough that I'd imagine a 44 caliber cap and ball would hold well over 20gr, and probably easily peak at over 100,000psi. It's the kind of load that will break most ballistics calculators if you plug it in.

Reloading is a fun and rewarding hobby in and of itself, and it's something I enjoy almost as much as shooting. It should be practiced, though, with a whole lot of diligence and intelligence to exactly what you're doing. I've done my fair share of "to the max" loads, but when I do so I always follow the manuals to the letter and also work up to max loads while watching for signs of things like primer distress. The last I counted, I think I had 5 or 6 loading manuals-I use Lyman the most as a general reference, but have manuals from most of the major bullet makers plus the Lyman cast manual that references specific mold numbers(yes, also cast).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back