Low micron filters and flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I'm looking at this same situation. I can get Wix XP filters (51042xp) for about $2.50 cheaper than the Fram Ultra XG3506 filters.

Sounds like $2.5 dollars more in your pocket.
That's really probably the only difference that could ever be measured.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Mentioning the obvious is even better when actual test data supports the obvious.
grin2.gif

My point was to thank dnewton3 for having the patience to repeatedly explain facts we all should've comprehended long ago. Good test data always supports sound logic.

Yes, dnewton3 helps to explain some of these concepts so people can comprehend - his comments are surely appreciated by many. There are many good technical contributors on this board, always has been that way. The obvious isn't so obvious at times ... and sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes, and helps get a point of understandind across.
grin2.gif

New guy here again...
Delta P in the more restrictive filter does change because at one RPM before the filter the oil pressure increases at that RPM but is on the restricted inflow. As far as the flow component of oil after the filter that does not change due to the positive displacement gear pump at that RPM and liquid oil does not compress under pressure. More RPM, more flow and it does not matter what filter you choose.

Now if a gas the flow component would be affected, like an airplane wing for instance. And that pressure difference causes lift.

Last edited:
But... Where the oil pump bypass does kick in at RPM will be affected by PSI increase and that does affect oil flow. By that time the bearings have a boundary film pressure established though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bill_W
But... Where the oil pump bypass does kick in at RPM will be affected by PSI increase and that does affect oil flow. By that time the bearings have a boundary film pressure established though.

By the time an oil pump hits pressure relief there's still going to be quite a bit of oil flow going on. Most old fashioned fixed PD oil pumps are over designed in terms of output volume anyway. However, with the new trend for automakers to cut oil flow with variable flow pumps to gain a sliver of MPG, a large flow restriction down stream from the oil pump could become more concerning to engine health if the pump lacks proper flow volume and pressure control.

By the time an oil pump hits pressure relief there's still going to be quite a bit of oil flow going on. Most old fashioned fixed PD oil pumps are over designed in terms of output volume anyway. However, with the new trend for automakers to cut oil flow with variable flow pumps to gain a sliver of MPG, a large flow restriction down stream from the oil pump could become more concerning to engine health if the pump lacks proper flow volume and pressure control.

Kinda makes it a non-issue until the "tearolator" comes in to play.

Tearolators help out weak oil pumps.
laugh.gif

Just stand on your own 2 feet my man. You don't have to throw out parroted talking points to respect your self. Quite the contrary actually. Anyway witnessing it makes me embarrassed for you.

O.K.... Sounds like a disgruntled ex-Purolator employee. I can relate.... Still He sold me that is how the name Tearolator came to be which he did not first coin. So who is blowing smoke up who's [censored]. Should I care?

Last edited:
O.K.... Sounds like a disgruntled ex-Purolator employee. I can relate.... Still He sold me that is how the name Tearolator came to be which he did not first coin. So who is blowing smoke up who's [censored]. Should I care?

That thread was a totally made up story. Many here sniffed it out from the get-go. If I recall, he was bragging about it where all the banned trolls use to hang out on another board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back