03 Sable Duratec - no heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my new used 03 sable with the 24V duratec. Driving it home though proved to have no heat. Not sure why yet. Any thoughts what to check first.

Also the common door ajar prox sensor failure is there. Means dome lights are on for about 1 minute.

Other than these 2 issues so far car drives like new.
$1,200 for an 03 with 72,000 miles on it. Should last a little while and no car payment

plugged heater core. Very common on Taurus/Sable. Get the car up to temp and then feel both hoses-they should be both hot. If not, plugged. I used to flush my son's Taurus twice a year when he owned one. All the casting sand ends up in the core. Looks like kitty litter when you flush the core.

Dave

Had to have my 99 Taurus heater core back-flushed at least once a year if I wanted heat. I was used to Fords having enough heat to roast hot dogs, what a disappointment that car was, in so many ways.

I'd go with either heater core or blend door.

As for the door ajar sensor, those get rusty. I usually just spray them and work them free til the next time.

Heater core flush. The connections are an absolute PAIN to get to on a Duratec.

Top tip:

At 16 years old and 72k miles, I can almost guarantee your rear bank ignition coils are getting tired. If I were you, I would pull the intake, replace the gaskets, replace the plugs, replace the rear 3 ignition coils, and do a coolant flush all at the same time. There's WAY more room to work with that big honkin' intake plenum out of the way.

I can get the intake off a Duratec in about 20 minutes. It's well worth your time.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Heater core flush. The connections are an absolute PAIN to get to on a Duratec.

Top tip:

At 16 years old and 72k miles, I can almost guarantee your rear bank ignition coils are getting tired. If I were you, I would pull the intake, replace the gaskets, replace the plugs, replace the rear 3 ignition coils, and do a coolant flush all at the same time. There's WAY more room to work with that big honkin' intake plenum out of the way.

I can get the intake off a Duratec in about 20 minutes. It's well worth your time.

Mind as well replace the gaskets while you have the intake off and do the PCV. Replace the DPFE while you're back there and check the front and rear radiator hoses, the one in the back tends to rust out and the one in the front is a special Ford type with a weird connector on it. Mind as well change out the PS fluid also, it's just Mercon V and Supertech is fine for it, just use a $1-$2 turkey baster to suck out fluid from the reservoir.

Thanks everyone.
There has already been alot of maintenance done to this car so I hope it's not a lemon. It has had 2 set of plugs, 2 coil packs, transmission pan dropped and fluid change, many oil changes, front brake pads, front rotors turned, set of Big O Euro tires on it.

Blend door was replaced a long time ago as there was a no heat issue. Coolant level checks good.

I will probably do the heater core flush. Youtube has some videos to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back