Polyurea grease in boat trailer bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to drill a hole between the seal and rear bearings in my boat trailer hubs and install a 1/8" npt stainless plug. Also, purchase US made bearings and races. I have read for several hours the pro's and con's of the different greases. I am very interested in using a polyurea grease because of the thixotropic properties they posess. I plan to install bearing buddies and 'purge' the grase from the bearing buddy, through the bearings, and out the plug hole. I can pump in new grease before leaving Florida to return home to S Indiana. There was a similiar setup on the original exle on the E-Z Loader trailer - pump grease in the front and it flowed through the bearing and exited between the rear bear and seal, through a couple of drillings and purged out the rear of the axle. I would sometimes pump some Mobil synthetic rear axle oil it them - that was the coolest the bearings ever run on the highway. That axle was not available when I replaced the axle on the trailer. I tow the trailer from S Indiana to S Florida once or twice per year. No trailer brakes, rig weighs about 3,000 pounds on a 3,500 axle.

The Vault hub uses a grease that becomes more viscous when towed and thickens to a grease when cool. Vortex hubs have a similar purge process, but from a zerk in the rear and purges out the front. They spec Lucas Oil Marine grease. I emailed Lucas Oil about using their x-tra Heavy Duty Grease (polyurea) but did not receive a response.

Is anyone using polyurea for their boat trailer bearings? I would purchase either John Deere Polyurea or Lucas Oil X-tra Heavy Duty grease?

I use Sta-Lube marine grease. Its a light blue color. The important thing is to keep the grease area slightly pressurized via the spring in the Bearing Buddy.

I also found a seal and sleeve kit that I like. You get a SS sleeve that fits over the axle so the sealing surface is now the seal to the sleeve vs the seal to the axle. Over time the axle becomes worn or rusted or pitted in the area where the seal rides and thus the SS sleeve seems like a great idea. There are some other similar ones also. The seal is designed for the diameter of the sleeve, not the axle. So its slightly different.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZAMD/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was checking out the Sta Lube, the bearings thing is driving me nuts. Seems like nothing has changed in regards to trailer bearings in the last 4 decades.
Is my thinking wrong?

We just picked up a relativity light weight 08 Chaparral 180SSI (mint cond) anyway, here we are with the trailer bearing fear.
Im not sure what to do, not knowing how the trailer was maintained, its a Wesco Alum.
I know the trailer wasnt used much, as the boat was kept in dry storage, fresh water too.

It has bearing buddies. I just do not know what kind of grease was used. Do I just go and pump in some Sta Lube or am I have to going to ruin half a day, pulling the hubs, cleaning the bearings and regrease them with the STA Lube to make sure its compatible?

If I am going to do that, shouldnt I just replace the bearings?
If so, how do I know what bearings to get? Size? Ect? ect?

Last edited:
The trailer bearings themselves are tapered roller bearings. They were a great design 50 years ago and still are. Keep the water and dirt out of the bearing and it will last forever.

The advances have all been around the grease and ways to seal the bearing assembly.

Also of use is an IR temp sensor. Stop after 25 miles and check each hub. If they are not the same, then you have an issue with the ones at a higher temp.

You want the real Bearing Buddies.While installing the new cups and cones check the sealing surface on the axles and if necessary install shaft savers then properly re grease and reassemble the bearings and hubs, then per instructions pump grease into the Bearing Buddies they are the best solution for boat trailers.

Originally Posted by willbur
IIRC- that Sta-Lube marine grease is a polyurea grease. Does not like water.

It says; A blue tacky, aluminum complex grease using a highly refined base oil. It has been formulated with a polymer to provide adhesive, non-blend and water wash-out characteristics.

Am I missing something?

https://www.crcindustries.com/produ...heel-bearing-grease-14-wt-oz-SL3120.html

Last edited:
Aluminum complex greases are preferred for salt water as sodium ion does not easily replace the aluminum ions in the grease and it stays in place and stays tacky!

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by willbur
IIRC- that Sta-Lube marine grease is a polyurea grease. Does not like water.

It says; A blue tacky, aluminum complex grease using a highly refined base oil. It has been formulated with a polymer to provide adhesive, non-blend and water wash-out characteristics.

Am I missing something?

https://www.crcindustries.com/produ...heel-bearing-grease-14-wt-oz-SL3120.html

Opps, my mistake. You are correct. The blue color threw me off. I was thinking of Lubrimatic wheel bearing grease, which IS polyurea

Thanks Boomer and Wilbur,

Sta Lube it will be, Im pretty sure as dont want to overthink this ... which I do on too many things :eek:)
Even better yet, the bearings will only be submerged in fresh water.

Originally Posted by CT8
You want the real Bearing Buddies.While installing the new cups and cones check the sealing surface on the axles and if necessary install shaft savers then properly re grease and reassemble the bearings and hubs, then per instructions pump grease into the Bearing Buddies they are the best solution for boat trailers.

Yes ~ For sure read the instructions if you install BB's … pump too long and you can blow the inboard seal.

I recommend BB's without Tie Down Engineering spindle lube conduits … If you have TDE just make sure the outside cap and rubber plug are in good shape and use the zerk to displace some grease periodically …
My floor jack is just a few feet from the boat … so I give the wheel a spin to displace old grease evenly …

Last edited:
Thank to all for your thoughtful replies. Did not see much love for polyurea in boat hubs. Think I will go with Lucas Oil Marine grease for my hubs.

Originally Posted by ChadHubbard
Thank to all for your thoughtful replies. Did not see much love for polyurea in boat hubs. Think I will go with Lucas Oil Marine grease for my hubs.

A few months back … changed hubs/bearings on a boat trailer seeing saltwater since Jan13 …
The Tie Down Engineering hubs came pre packed with Lucas Red & Tacky … not Lucas Marine grease …

I just bought the RnT tubes and will see how that goes … That's a pretty visible endorsement from the OEM …

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Last edited:
Interesting. Not doubting what you witnessed, but seems to contradict their website. They say on the website that the hubs come packed with Lucas Oil Marine grease and the use of any other grease will void the warranty???

It was written on the package and no doubt it was red (and tacky) … I topped them up from the tube … looked identical
Pretty much have to stay with that now …
Don't know the age of manufacturing … I bought them at a small boat dealer …
The Vortex hubs have the blue grease …
Here is a tube I spotted at Wally today

7499FC9D-7D1A-4025-A836-722D4E5A1255.jpeg

6C7F4ABA-F482-44C1-A540-AD06512E0EA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I just went out and bought the Stalube Marine sometimes I drive myself crazy making up my mind but whatever, should be fine.

I do want to pull the hubs someday, heck, if I knew of a simple rock solid way, I rather just buy a whole hub kit and replace both of them like above. If I am doing something myself, my personal time is money and I am savcing money doing it myself, so I dont care if I spend a little extra for the right parts all put together for me... *L*

I think I will do that. Its a wesco trailer, maybe just be able to go to their site and look up parts and specs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back