Auto Stop Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on two years and 57k with it.

Hated it at first... but I bought in May when it was hot.
Shut it off every start.
Winter came, left it alone and used it a little more.

Getting to where I just leave it alone and control it by brake pressure or let it shut down.
Summers coming so time will tell what do this year.

Its just not big a deal.

I had it in a rental Mercedes and absolutely despised it. We also had it in a rental Durango and quickly disabled it.

Also whomever states it increases fuel economy by 10% should hire me as their financial adviser and give me complete power of attorney. I will not leave them broke but I will charge fee of about 88% of gains.

I can't say I hate it, but I don't like the idea of extra wear and tear for saving pennies on fuel.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I can't say I hate it, but I don't like the idea of extra wear and tear for saving pennies on fuel.

Starters seem to last longer than usual these days. They started showing up in some Mercedes models in 2014. The main drawback seems to be that the aux battery which the start/stop system needs tends to die after 3-4 years so there's no real extra wear and tear, mostly just the cost of replacing the battery early. I think the math might be about a savings of about $100 in fuel economy if you compare the 2013 vs the 2014. So $400 over 4 years plus the additional cost of $100 for a battery. A few hundred dollars saving, maybe 1k over 10 years, not worth the hassle I guess.

It's the future, no use fighting it. Soon we'll be all EV, so buy a big American V8 and enjoy it while you can!

Originally Posted by dishdude
It's the future, no use fighting it. Soon we'll be all EV, so buy a big American V8 and enjoy it while you can!

Except they're putting them on the big American v8's now!

Originally Posted by dishdude

There's another name for that phenomenon ^^^^^^^

And it is not really a good thing.

I hated it in anything I drove or road in that had it. As long as there is a way to disable it I'll learn to live with it once the time comes that I have to buy into the technology.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Also whomever states it increases fuel economy by 10% should hire me as their financial adviser and give me complete power of attorney. I will not leave them broke but I will charge fee of about 88% of gains.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

It's not me that says it, it's Edmunds. Three different cars each doing three loops on the same 106-mile test ride, one loop with start/stop disabled, one loop with start/stop enabled and A/C on, and one with start/stop enabled and A/C off.

All three of our test subjects delivered the estimated 10 percent in city traffic. People who live in particularly tough traffic areas with long wait times could do even better.

That's more testing than I'll ever do and probably more than anyone on this forum would do. As they have no agenda to influence the results one way or the other, I'm gonna believe their results over some rando's opinion on a forum.

Opine all you'd like about battery and starter longevity, but the fact that it delivers fuel economy gains is pretty indisputable. If you find it annoying enough to ignore these gains for your comfort, well, that's between you and your wallet.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
It's not me that says it, it's Edmunds. Three different cars each doing three loops on the same 106-mile test ride, one loop with start/stop disabled, one loop with start/stop enabled and A/C on, and one with start/stop enabled and A/C off.

There is always 2 sides to every story. Here is what many people who own them have to say after dealing with them over time. It's not all about saving a few pennies in gas.

"Unfortunately this feature is not well designed on many of today's vehicles. Many owners have complained about:

•Restart delay when pressing the gas pedal.
•Vibration when the vehicle restarts.
•Vehicle roll back on hills when shifting from the brake to the gas pedal.
•Heating and cooling systems change the temperature noticeably when the engine turns off.
•Nuisance stops and starts during maneuvers like parking.
•Anxiety as to whether the vehicle will restart.
•Startled or angry pedestrians when engine restarts in front of them.
•Concerns about the added wear on their on the vehicle with thousands of additional restarts.
•Battery replacement intervals being reduced considerably.

Then their is just the general frustration of having this 'nanny' feature forced on you in your vehicle you otherwise love!"

Have it on my 2016 F150. 3 years and 41,000 miles in. Love it.

If you live anywhere with stoplights and stop and go traffic, it will save fuel.

I figured out how to manipulate brake pressure within a day or two of driving it to get it to respond the way I wanted it to.

As to the long litany of complaints about the systems, virtually every complaint has been accounted for and dealt with. Not worth the time responding how.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Dislike it in the work F150's and the poster can cross Ford off of his list because there is no disable button on the F150.

Must of missed the giant button on top of the center sack with the A in a circle then. Putting the truck in tow haul also disables it.

Originally Posted by buck91
I despise the auto stop/start in our 2018 F150. Not sure how much it saves on the EPA track but many owners have reported no MPG loss when switching off. Myself, I see it as nothing more than a liability. How much sooner will the battery or starter require replacement? What are all those stop/run cycles doing for engine wear? What if it doesn't start when I need it to? Does the extra stress it puts on the battery reflect in shorter alternator life?

If there was a clear, or better yet significant, MPG benefit we could talk... but there isn't.

Good questions but the start/stop systems are built much differently than normal starters. I think most of your points are not applicable...since they are not just slapping on these components. It's a whole system designed to perform under the conditions of start/stop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

There is always 2 sides to every story. Here is what many people who own them have to say after dealing with them over time. It's not all about saving a few pennies in gas.

"Unfortunately this feature is not well designed on many of today's vehicles. Many owners have complained about:

•Restart delay when pressing the gas pedal.
•Vibration when the vehicle restarts.
•Vehicle roll back on hills when shifting from the brake to the gas pedal.
•Heating and cooling systems change the temperature noticeably when the engine turns off.
•Nuisance stops and starts during maneuvers like parking.
•Anxiety as to whether the vehicle will restart.
•Startled or angry pedestrians when engine restarts in front of them.
•Concerns about the added wear on their on the vehicle with thousands of additional restarts.
•Battery replacement intervals being reduced considerably.

Then their is just the general frustration of having this 'nanny' feature forced on you in your vehicle you otherwise love!"

Some of the above points are laughable. The best one is "anxiety as to whether the vehicle will restart." If that's true you should have the same feelings every time you turn off your car after you park it. Edmund's was once a great site-it's no longer so. The next one is "startled or angry pedestrians-" REALLY? The biggest issue IMHO (that has been addressed by the FEDS) is almost being run over in parking lots by hybrid cars running only on electricity. You can't hear them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back