2014 Honda Pilot Maintenance Minder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 2 oil changes 4000mi-4300mi it's down to 5%

Isn't that way too soon? Truck belongs to my mom who i think does all short trips ( retired now)

I mean 4300 miles on Mobil EP 0w20 and a Fram XG7317, feels like a waste of $$$

Last edited:
You could definitely leave the filter on for 2 or 3 OCI's. It's probably worth getting an oil analysis done too see about stretching the OCI beyond what the monitor says.

Originally Posted by czbrian
You could definitely leave the filter on for 2 or 3 OCI's. It's probably worth getting an oil analysis done too see about stretching the OCI beyond what the monitor says.

Seeing that you have 06 pilot, whats your MM go off at?

Short trips could make an OCI as short as 4k
smile.gif

The Ultra is overkill for a single 4k OCI. The PH7317 is the OEM A02, and Honda says to change the filter every other OCI. My choice would be an orange can every OCI.

It is also possible that Honda shortened OCI recommendations after the whole VCM scandal being hard on oil. Of course, they won't stop using VCM, though
smirk2.gif

You should get the VCMuzzler. It disables the VCM

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Short trips could make an OCI as short as 4k
smile.gif

The Ultra is overkill for a single 4k OCI. The PH7317 is the OEM A02, and Honda says to change the filter every other OCI. My choice would be an orange can every OCI.

It is also possible that Honda shortened OCI recommendations after the whole VCM scandal being hard on oil. Of course, they won't stop using VCM, though
smirk2.gif

You should get the VCMuzzler. It disables the VCM

Going to change over to super tech 0w20 for 16 bucks and grab OEM filters off ebay....I only recently started changing the oil on this truck, Was thinking it would at least go to 7500-8000 miles before MM kicked in.

Yep, I've short tripped my Pilot in the past and the MM has called for changes at around 5k miles. The MM doesn't know the difference b/w syn & dino oil. If you don't have a VCMuzzler, stick to 5-5500 mile syn OCIs.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Yep, I've short tripped my Pilot in the past and the MM has called for changes at around 5k miles. The MM doesn't know the difference b/w syn & dino oil. If you don't have a VCMuzzler, I'd stick to 5-5500 mile syn OCIs.

Oh ok, guessing it's the short trips then plus this cold a** winter...Have no knowledge about the VCMuzzler, do you have a link of the product?

Last edited:
The MM doesn't know the difference b/w syn & dino oil. If you don't have a VCMuzzler, stick to 5-5500 mile syn OCIs.

Yup. Honda specs conventional oil, and the MM advises accordingly.

Originally Posted by rocky8314
it's down to 5%...Truck belongs to my mom who i think does all short trips ( retired now)

Key points of your post. You answered your own question...

Originally Posted by HangFire
The MM doesn't know the difference b/w syn & dino oil. If you don't have a VCMuzzler, stick to 5-5500 mile syn OCIs.

Even for late models!? OP never mentioned MY...

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by HangFire

Even for late models!? OP never mentioned MY...

It's in the subject title. 2014 Honda Pilot.

Yep, I've short tripped my Pilot in the past and the MM has called for changes at around 5k miles. The MM doesn't know the difference b/w syn & dino oil. If you don't have a VCMuzzler, stick to 5-5500 mile syn OCIs.

If it's a 2013 like your sig says, the MM knows it's supposed to be 0W-20. While I suppose the owners manual says stuff about synthetic oil of the same grade being acceptable, I don't know of any 0W-20 that isn't at least marketed as "semi-synthetic". I guess we've talked all about whether or not there's that assumption made by the manufacturer, but I understand it may be factored in like I remember with some Toyota owners manuals that said to cut the OCI in half if 5W-20 was used rather than 0W-20.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/ZA1313/ZA1313OM.PDF

Recommended Engine Oil

You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade.
Genuine Honda Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the
container.

â– Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back