Auto Stop Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
For or Against??

I found it annoying...Drove a Malibu rental and hated it...or maybe i wasn't used to it...don't know

Originally Posted by spasm3
Had a chevy rental with it. I hated it. Would not buy one unless it could be bypassed or deselected.

Was my first time driving something with Auto stop start..I know ford/chrysler have buttons to disable...GM just jams it down your throat with no option..GM is crossed off when it comes to future cars.

BMW was one of the first to bring it to US. After couple of years they decided to offer permanent disabling.
Actually, I never had loaner from BMW that did not have A.S.S. completely disabled.

I don't like auto stop/start. Have had it on a few rental vehicles in the past. My V6 Impala does not have auto stop/start, would not have purchased if it did.

Only the A4 has it out of the cars I own.
Before the engine broke in it caused a noticeable quiver when starting back up. At 55k miles I barely notice it.
It can be defeated by pushing a button located just to the right of the start button.
It can be managed while it is active through how much pressure I put on the brake pedal. When stopped if I hold just enough pressure to keep car from moving it will not stop, but if I know I've come to a forever and a day stop light I can push just a bit harder and the engine will stop. AC/heat runs while stopped but if car is not heated or cooled to the requested temp start/stop doesn't activate.
Initially if figured there would be a lag when releasing the brake but engine is running before you can hit the gas. I rarely turn it off anymore and just use pedal pressure to keep it running or to let it stop.

Let's add a qualifier: for those of you who hate it, have you ever driven a vehicle with this feature for more than 5k miles?

I have not for that long; therefore, I don't feel I can give a valid opinion...

After 15,000 miles... it's a resounding love it. So much that I wish my truck had it too. After a day or two, it just fades into the routine of driving.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

Ask yourself this: What would get you to buy fuel at $3.30/gallon vs. $3.00/gallon. That's the same 10% savings start/stop gets you in city driving. I just find it hilarious that people will use Gas Buddy and drive out of their way to save a couple pennies per gallon, but hate on a system that does the same thing (more actually) with no effort at all.

I've driven my wife's '16 Grand Cherokee a lot over the past 27 months; could easily be 5,000 miles.
I disable it at each ignition cycle. Pretty much used to it now but once in awhile I forget and can't stand when it shuts down even though it's not too noticeable.

I would NEVER buy a vehicle that does not allow disabling.

I despise the auto stop/start in our 2018 F150. Not sure how much it saves on the EPA track but many owners have reported no MPG loss when switching off. Myself, I see it as nothing more than a liability. How much sooner will the battery or starter require replacement? What are all those stop/run cycles doing for engine wear? What if it doesn't start when I need it to? Does the extra stress it puts on the battery reflect in shorter alternator life?

If there was a clear, or better yet significant, MPG benefit we could talk... but there isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back