Want a good brand of garbage disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasteking L-8000 (1hp model)

its great and a great value.

if she currently has a badger (insinkerator etc) they make an adaptor flange so you can reuse the current sink drain.

I never installed one and 10min of youtube video later I did my first one in 30min.. including trimming a couple pipes.

its around $140 new, amazon has a damaged packaging for 103 (amazon warehouse deals)

I replaced mine last year with a Whirlpool. Made in the USA
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
If I switch brands will I be forced to change the drain?

The best one is the same one so you don't have to change anything!

Originally Posted by Rand
Wasteking L-8000 (1hp model)

its great and a great value.

if she currently has a badger (insinkerator etc) they make an adaptor flange so you can reuse the current sink drain.

I never installed one and 10min of youtube video later I did my first one in 30min.. including trimming a couple pipes.

its around $140 new, amazon has a damaged packaging for 103 (amazon warehouse deals)

I did the same thing. Easy install and no problems.

Insinkerator. But get one better than Badger.
The Evolution series are good. If it breaks under warranty they send out a tech to repair it. No other brand does that.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Insinkerator. But get one better than Badger.
The Evolution series are good. If it breaks under warranty they send out a tech to repair it. No other brand does that.

actually the waste king has a better warranty and its half the price or less than a good insinkerator.(such as evolution series)

The adapter flange to use with the badger style mount costs about $13

Insinkerator. Made in the US(or Mexico), and if there's a Badger or other ISE, the new one will use the same sink to disposer interface.

Get an Evolution or Pro series. My parents still have the same 555SS disposer from 15 years ago I installed.

eeehhh $99 badger from HD or Lowes is good enough. This is in the vast majority of new commodity new homes in the $200K range in Houston. My first one lasted 12 years (died in 2015) before it locked up. My next one is 4 years old and no problems. Everything matched so it only took 30 minutes to replace. this is the regular ones not the fancy stainless steel one.

Did the same with my moms Badger. Her story is almost identical to mine. Used for chunky food scraps but not grinding bones or corn cobs or ridiculous stuff people put down those things.

And I haven't had an oder problem some people compain about either.

Last edited:
I'd just get rid of the disposal and put in a regular drain. They're more trouble than they're worth as far as I'm concerned. Garbage goes in the trash can.

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
I'd just get rid of the disposal and put in a regular drain. They're more trouble than they're worth as far as I'm concerned. Garbage goes in the trash can.
. Along with the animals, flies, maggots and stink.
You either have a septic system or have never owned a garbage disposal.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Whatever Costco has.

Usually good advice for most things in life! It's American Standard branded. Just installed one last year, and I think I paid $79 and was a direct fit replacement for the Badger 5 it replaced.

Brand is not as important as cost. Like most any kitchen appliance, they get better as the price goes up. The more expensive units have more horsepower, better bearings, quieter motors, etc. Most every manufacturer makes a cheap, builder grade model. A "middle of the road" grade. And a high end, top of the line model. The difference in cost can be substantial.

I used to buy the cheap one's. But after putting up with the noise, along with the short longevity, the last one I purchased was a top of the line grade from Insinkerator. It's been going strong for several years now. If and when it goes south, I'll replace it with something similar.

Originally Posted by KevD47
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Whatever Costco has.

Usually good advice for most things in life! It's American Standard branded. Just installed one last year, and I think I paid $79 and was a direct fit replacement for the Badger 5 it replaced.

Same here. I think they put a 1 1/4hp rating on it and it has a great list of features. so far, so good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Inked
I just had an Insinkerator Evolution Excel 1 HP installed about a month ago. Can't yet speak for longevity but if it holds up half as well as my old Badger it replaced, I'll be happy. Much quieter though.

https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en...volution-disposals/insinkerator-evoexcel

Insinkerator came with the new house, just replaced with the same last year, 25 yrs of service, Lowes has them.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back