Milwaukee 2767 High Torque Impact Wrench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing snapped 2 wheel studs off my civic like melted butter...First time using the tool, now i know better than using at full power lol..THING IS A BEAST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Trav
Too much tool for the job IMO. Only the largest suspension and crank bolts require one that powerful.

I have no idea why i bought it, way too powerful and it's bulky....Should've went with the 2861 mid-torque.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pda1122
I like using torque sticks to get close to spec/not break lugs and finish them off by hand

Scary thing is i was loosening the lug nut.

I have one and it is indeed a beast. Was changing a front axle on my sons Hyundai Tiburon. Tried my air impact to remove the axle nut which was badly rusted. The impact didn't even move it a little. Grabbed the Milwaukee and three hits later the nut started spinning off. I also use torque sticks for tightening. I usually use one stick lower than the torque spec and use a torque wrench to fully tighten. I am so glad i got the 2767

Don

Originally Posted by rocky8314
I like using torque sticks to get close to spec/not break lugs and finish them off by hand

Does it have different power settings? My mid-torque has 3 different power settings.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Does it have different power settings? My mid-torque has 3 different power settings.

Yeah it has the power settings...It's my first Milwaukee tool and i didn't think to reduce the power because i was so dam* excited to use it( i know sad)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dadillac
I have one and it is indeed a beast. Was changing a front axle on my sons Hyundai Tiburon. Tried my air impact to remove the axle nut which was badly rusted. The impact didn't even move it a little. Grabbed the Milwaukee and three hits later the nut started spinning off. I also use torque sticks for tightening. I usually use one stick lower than the torque spec and use a torque wrench to fully tighten. I am so glad i got the 2767

Don

No offense but that must be a real piece of crap air gun or undersized fittings/hose/compressor. The mid sized Makita 18V removes even rusted cv axle nuts without breaking a sweat, the air gun will tear it off and toss it if you are not careful and back off once it starts moving.

Too much tool for the job IMO. Only the largest suspension and crank bolts require one that powerful.

I have no idea why i bought it, way too powerful and it's bulky....Should've went with the 2861 mid-torque.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it if you don't have air available but the small and mid size are much more useful, get into tighter spaces and easier on the arms after a while using it non stop. I use all 3 sizes but the bigger gun (air) gets used the least, for most jobs the mid sized is perfect.
For smaller bolts the small 1/4" is perfect for transmission and oil pans, upper plenum, battery hold downs and bolts and nuts of that sort. I find there is no one size fits all.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it if you don't have air available but the small and mid size are much more useful, get into tighter spaces and easier on the arms after a while using it non stop. I use all 3 sizes but the bigger gun (air) gets used the least, for most jobs the mid sized is perfect.
For smaller bolts the small 1/4" is perfect for transmission and oil pans, upper plenum, battery hold downs and bolts and nuts of that sort. I find there is no one size fits all.

I got caught up in the bigger the badder...Seriously i could've went with the milwaukee 3/8 impact and been good...more practical to fit into tight spaces...

if you want compact and like milwaukee the new m12 stubby model is nice.

IIRC I paid around 130$ bare tool with an included rubber boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2555-20-Stubby-Impact-Wrench/dp/B07HCM1HKG

setting 1 on tightening is about perfect for lugs. I then finish with the torque wrench and its less than 1/4 turn to 100lb-ft

It wouldnt take off some REALLY rusted on lutnugs on steelies.. but my dewalt mid torque took about 10seconds of hammering to start those.

Was taking too long so I broke out the dewalt dcf899 for those.. The m12 stubby literally weighs about 1/3 the big dewalt.

It has pretty much fully replaced the dewalt mid-torque for me.. anyone want to buy the dewalt mid torque for a good price? Its less than a year old.. very light use.(8 tire rotations)

6 pounds? That's what's listed on the Milwaukee website. Is that without the battery or with? Either way, JEEZE!

My Mac AWP050M stubby 1/2 inch weighs half that and is probably 1/3 the size and still manages 635 ft/lb breakaway. I'm sorry, I'll stick with pneumatic for now.

Great review, though!

Originally Posted by 14Accent
6 pounds? That's what's listed on the Milwaukee website. Is that without the battery or with? Either way, JEEZE!

My Mac AWP050M stubby 1/2 inch weighs half that and is probably 1/3 the size and still manages 635 ft/lb breakaway. I'm sorry, I'll stick with pneumatic for now.

Great review, though!

That's without battery..
Reduced user fatigue at only 7.5 lbs. with battery (battery not included)

That is a heavy tool. Its an easy trap to fall into though, When I bought the mid size (as small as the 1/4") the full size gun was almost the same money and it was made in Japan to boot, more power, more features, a no brainer until you realize its almost a foot long and weighs almost 8lb vs 3lb with battery, that is a game changer.

Don't underestimate dissimilar metal corrosion. I've had situations where my 1100ft-lb electric impact couldn't loosen lugs, and required me standing 3-4' off the end of a breaker bar/pipe combo and bouncing.

Those snapped lug studs must be pretty lousy to shear like that.

I was fearing that on my lug bolts but they came off.

I have put a socket and pipe on a rusted boat trailer lug bolt, snapped it and had to bring it to a machine shop to have a Helicoil installed.

So I learned.

Next trailer with a rusted lug nut I used PB- Blaster, then my cordless impact for a little bit of hammering. If no go, then more PB-Blaster, wait a day and repeat. Got all lug nuts off with two days.

This thing snapped 2 wheel studs off my civic like melted butter...First time using the tool, now i know better than using at full power lol..THING IS A BEAST.

Assuming we both agree on definition of "snap", I don't think humongous torque is what destroyed your wheel studs. Whoever had installed your wheels last time, most likely cross threaded the nuts and one way or another, you would have ended with broken wheel studs.

The low torque one would have just kept on banging and banging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back