Inflated Trade-In Value a Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it say that that number WAS your trade-in number or was it UP TO that number? Something like, "your trade-in could be worth $XXk" or "up to..."

Of course it's just to get you in the door. They know you were willing to purchase new once which makes you a pretty good target for sale #2.....

The trade in value they are giving you is a bunch of bologna to get you in the door. To test this theory don't mention the ad and just bring in the car alone and tell them you would like to sell it to them outright. Don't tell them you are interested in another car. My guess is they will either tell you they don't want to buy it outright or they will offer you somewhere closer to half of that $22k. As far as the mods go they won't do anything positive to impact the price.

There is no Genie. Your trade is worth Gavles black book and the New Stang is valued at 7 percent off MONRONY minus whatever factory incentives are current, plus a bit of holdback if the car hasn't been on the lot more than a month. That new V8 'Stang is not a commodity Fusion 4 banger where they will take a loss at the end of the month to meet the numbers. The dealer had to sell 15 fusions and 20 Foci to get that stang. on their lot

Those numbers for you trade are likely the result of "Ford Truck Month" where there are likely $7000 - give up on some models.

Last edited:
I'm sure it has weasel words in it.

When I say have some fun with it, I mean take it exactly the way they intended for you to and be absolutely inflexible about your understanding, refuse to listen to any explanation of weasel words and be willing to become loud and just obnoxious enough to make everyone uncomfortable but not quite enough for them to ask you to leave at least until you've wasted about 3 hours of their time... and leave before the cops get there....

If you walk out with a new Mustang GT for 10,000.00 + your trade that's fantastic (buy a lottery ticket), if not make sure everyone has a story to tell ...

Last edited:
OK, for those curious here's the letter. I blacked out sensitive information. The unique code when calling is tied to my name, but I can assure you the prompt says my vehicle is valued at $22,350. No indications of 'up to' but later on states the value can be adjusted based on mileage and condition. My car is pretty immaculate, and I have low miles at 15K.

This is a [censored] of a lot more discussion than I could have ever anticipated so maybe leave it at this - I just need to go in and see what they actually offer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
This is really no different than a cold call from a salesman trying to sell you something.

Yeah but the difference here is that I want what they're selling. I want a 2019 GT for $10K. The entire premise of the posting was if the inflated trade-in value is legitimate, or a known bait-and-switch dealer tactic.

Originally Posted by Maddog1337
I was considering going in and just saying that if they were willing to get me in a new 2019 GT for div>

Sounds like you have your "number". Go in with that and STAND FIRM. If you STAND FIRM you'll have nothing to lose. DO NOT CAVE!!!

Scott

OK, for those curious here's the letter. I blacked out sensitive information. The unique code when calling is tied to my name, but I can assure you the prompt says my vehicle is valued at $22,350. No indications of 'up to' but later on states the value can be adjusted based on mileage and condition. My car is pretty immaculate, and I have low miles at 15K.

This is a [censored] of a lot more discussion than I could have ever anticipated so maybe leave it at this - I just need to go in and see what they actually offer.

Bottom of letter:

... value based off of retail clean vehicle condition and mileage, equipment and condition of vehicle may affect vehicle value.
... Dealer may adjust trade value based on actual vehicle condition or changes in local market conditions.

As already said, you will not get $22,300 for the car. They will "adjust" the offer to much less.

Again, they do this to get you in the door. Advertising at it's finest. It almost worked on you.

Have fun with it and maybe you will get a great deal but maybe not. Can't hurt to try. I would expect them to remove the GMF saving and go with the $38k price to give you the $22k. This would then be a difference of $16k not $10k. They might throw a little more at you but knowing you want that GT will be their ticket.
Good Luck.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Bottom of letter:

... value based off of retail clean vehicle condition and mileage, equipment and condition of vehicle may affect vehicle value.
... Dealer may adjust trade value based on actual vehicle condition or changes in local market conditions.

As already said, you will not get $22,300 for the car. They will "adjust" the offer to much less.

Again, they do this to get you in the door. Advertising at it's finest. It almost worked on you.
LOL at "local market conditions"!! I used to get letters like this all the time for the Ram 3500 in my sig-sure they'd give me a $25K trade-in on a $70K+ King Ranch!

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is really no different than a cold call from a salesman trying to sell you something.

Yeah but the difference here is that I want what they're selling. I want a 2019 GT for $10K. The entire premise of the posting was if the inflated trade-in value is legitimate, or a known bait-and-switch dealer tactic.

What we are telling you is "Yes, it is a known tactic". I suppose you could call it a scam or a bait and switch, but it is really just a ploy to get you in the door and get you wanting the new car. I've gotten at least 3 of those offers (the exact same thing, different dealers and makes) in the last 3 years. They're going to adjust your offer. (Aftermarket equipment might even be the excuse)...

Give it a shot if you want as long as you're willing to walk if they don't meet your predetermined number you've got nothing to lose but half a day of time...

I get a couple of calls like that a year from the local Chevy dealer I bought my truck from. Really need my truck, know the service record, will give top dollar. After going in once they offered $1500 under Black Book trade in for my excellent condition low miles truck, and basically list price (after you factored in their made up doc fee) before rebates for the truck they were selling. Um, no. What can you do? Go fly a kite, we aren't in the same reality.
If you have the time, and you keep your eyes open, go see them. If $10k is your number, stick to it and walk if you don't get it. Don't be suprised If they are a long way away from that.

Read the fine print!!! It's literally right there, buddy.

If you get a base GT for +$10k on the trade I'll buy you a round-trip ticket here to watch me literally eat crow!

I spent a couple of years selling both new and used cars. The dealership will tell you anything to get you in the door. At the end of the day you'll end up with Black Book value or less for the car. Car dealerships are not going to pay more for your vehicle than they could buy the same make and model of vehicle at auction for. The more common the vehicle is the more this rings true. I hated working in that business and saw these types of advertisements all of the time. Trying to sell someone based on those false pretenses was a disaster. The first news I had to break was that the ad was "an estimate" and the car was worth about half of that amount.

If they have a car on their website you're interested in, email and ask for a quote. The reputable dealers will provide one.

If you like your car, don't waste your time restoring it to stock because that will be frustrating when you find out that the dealer is trying to make money.

Good job paying off a 2017 car right out of college!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back