Do it myself oil changes on an older car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, nice to be on this forum. I've read quite a bit of the posts and I enjoyed the various topics - even though I'm a total novice at repairs/maintenance. I have basically not done any maintenance on my car since I've bought it but I want to learn.

My car is almost 11 years old now and has almost 250,000 miles. I've taken it to the dealership for all the routine and other maintenance needs. Other than the high prices for repairs, the dealerships have been good (Mazda). But now I'm wondering if I can do some of the things myself. I want to start small and then move on from there. I need tools too
smile.gif

The car is a Mazda 3, by the way. I really like it and want to keep it for a while. It is running well.

So, I'm wondering if it is worth it to now do some of the maintenance (especially oil changes) myself or continue doing what I'm doing? I mean, apparently taking it to the dealer has worked this long. But then again, I do have that itch to do the stuff myself.

I'm just kind of hesitant of screwing up a fine running car. This car has a splash shield that I've heard can be annoying to take off and some of the jacking positions are a bit obscure. But that's about it. I'm sure I can figure it out if I go at it slow.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks and nice to be here.

First off -
welcome2.gif
!

Now that that's out of the way..

Doing your own maintenance, especially on an older car that you plan to keep for a long time can be a very good thing, IMHO. I do most of my own. One of the best ways to familiarize yourself with the car's mechanical condition is to get up-close and personal with it, and doing an oil change on the car will certainly do that. Every time I get underneath it to do an oil change and/or a trans fluid change, I take some extra time to inspect the underside to look for leaks and fluid build-up, as well as to check suspension components, etc.. If I see something out of place, or noticeably different since the last time I was under there, I address it.

It's also cheaper, and I personally find it satisfying.

Engine oil changes are a good place to start and figure out what you are comfortable doing.

As long as you don't mess up important stuff, such as making sure the old filter gasket comes off, you won't screw up your car. Even then, as long as you check your work, you still won't damage the car (just make a mess).

I would probably start by searching YouTube for how-to videos specific to your car and go from there.

I advise the OP to look for a Mazda 3 forum. for model specific info. If you have to R+R the belly pan, buy some spare fasteners from Mazda I bought low mileage 4 cyl Camrys for ease of maintenance..If you can find a service manual in PDF form, .
grin2.gif

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Buy what tools you need to do an oil change yourself.
Then with the money you save by not going to the Dealer, buy some other tools for
other fluid changes and preventive maintenance.

You will get great personal satification of doing the work yourself.
With cars being so complicated, a lot of people think we can't do any work on them anymore / I disagree.
You'll be stacking the deck in your favor that your get the most life out of your car.

Good luck.

Starting small and working up from there is a great idea, as is starting with oil changes. Tools needed are minimal. Many auto parts stores have an oil change special of drain pan, paper towels, etc.

You want to learn to: change the various filters, check all fluids, rotate wheels, check tire air pressure. While rotating wheels you can check on the disk brake pad thickness.

Watching Youtube can be super helpful, if you pick the right videos.

Buy tools as you need them. Small complete no-skip sets will add up to a better tool chest than a big 400-800 pc mega-set. You don't need any SAE tools. Start with a set of Metric combination wrenches and a 1/4 or 3/8 drive Metric ratchet and socket set. Tekton is my go-to brand recommendation for DIY. Honestly most any brand name tools will do, I would avoid the cheap India made and dollar bin tools though, like the infamous $4.99 40-pc ratchet socket set.

Look on youtube. I've learned so much from those videos on car repair. The biggest thing you have to overcome is the of messing something up.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Buy tools as you need them. Small complete no-skip sets will add up to a better tool chest than a big 400-800 pc mega-set. You don't need any SAE tools. Start with a set of Metric combination wrenches and a 1/4 or 3/8 drive Metric ratchet and socket set. Tekton is my go-to brand recommendation for DIY. Honestly most any brand name tools will do, I would avoid the cheap India made and dollar bin tools though, like the infamous $4.99 40-pc ratchet socket set.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5043299/re-williams-socket-set I like Trav's new sockets. Acquire a ratchet and whatever you need the remove the body pan from HF. For what Trav paid, that's what I would do if I had to start over. It is such an insane value.

Welcome.

I'd get a bunch of 2x8s and make your own shallow drive-up ramps. They'll save your tender pinch welds from repeated jacking and jack-stand placing.

It's good to have a look underneath, but don't freak out if you have 250k worth of grime and weeps (not leaks).

This is how it starts, soon you'll be changing clutches and whatnot. It's a blast. I 2nd the youtube thing, they cover everything.

Some community colleges have evening courses for this very thing. If you are complete novice there are some basic things like proper use of tools that not everyone finds intuitive. Messing up the pan plug can be a bummer.

Welcome!

Like said, youtube and mazda forums might have more specifics should you need them. I think you'll find this place one of the better resources however.

Good thing is, if your Mazda 3 has only seen dealer service, that belly pan is probably long gone or has a huge access hole sawed into it by now. I'm kidding! (mostly).

Appreciate all of the the advice and the warm welcome. I've chosen a good place to learn something from.

As has been said, I need to just do it and get some practice. I'm getting started on the materials needed for the job(s) and ramps are one of the items I'm looking at. They seem user friendly enough if used properly.

Initially I was just focused on picking one particular brand of oil or one particular brand of filter etc. but now I'm thinking that the actual act of doing the "thing" is more important than the brand chosen to do the job. On this note, one question: Does using a wrench or ratchet make a big difference in terms of opening/tightening the oil nut. Yes, it is a very amateurish question so get your laughs out of the way
smile.gif

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
I use a standard 1/2" drive ratchet handle, and I think it's the easiest way to do it. The key is not over-tightening oil drain plugs - fit a new washer (you can get 10 or 20 packs of them for little to no cost), tighten until you feel everything come together, then another quarter to half turn to make everything seal nicely. Oil in the sump is not under pressure so it doesn't need a super tough seal, and it's better to notice a drip later and need to tighten a little further than it is to go too far first time and damage the thread.

Overtightening the fill plug and oil filter is common.
I like using a long wrench, but it really doesn't matter.
What does matter is getting the wrench squarely and fully on the drain bolt.
You can also use a cheapo Harbor Freight torque wrench set at about 25 pound feet.

Most important: a good trolly floor jack and jackstands, and eye protection.
Get disposable gloves and remember, that oil can be HOT.
Take your time, make a little mess, learn and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back