Cabin filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the cabin filter today. Changed last around July 18, 2018.

[Linked Image]

Replaced it with one of these Carbon activated filters.

[Linked Image]

+1

Changed mine yesterday on the Mazda, along with the coils. Been there since November, and it looked pretty much like yours, only darker. I like to change them when dust starts to show faster (a lot) on the inside (black interior and dust shows quickly), buying the cheapest on RA... Also it doesn't help that with Canadian climate the fan is always on position 2 or 3, takes 2 minutes and $5 to change
smile.gif

Sometimes I wonder if a more expensive filter could last longer.

I have cars with and cars without, and I do notice the difference. Then again I like my cars (and living place) clean inside. Cabin filters help greatly with dust, at minimum cost for me, what's not to love ?

As for the dealers dubious practices that can happen, that's a sad truth.

I wonder if most of these filters are placed before the heater and ac coils. If so I'd say they really help keep those coils clean and make the heat and air run more efficiently.

Same filter brand I use. Change it every year after the spring pollen season is over.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Cabin filters are just something the car makers came up with to add revenue to the service department. No significant benefit.

Having a vehicle with one and one without one, the interior of the one without is much dustier and has to be wiped clean way more often. Particularly when driving a fair amount of dry, dusty gravel roads.

They're about $10 at Amazon and take 10 minutes to change about every 20,000 miles.

Cabin filters are just something the car makers came up with to add revenue to the service department. No significant benefit.

Yeah, the Ford dealership is certainly making a ton of money off of the cabin filters I buy on discount from RockAuto and install myself....

.. and I definitely notice a difference, so they clearly provide a real benefit.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

Yeah, the Ford dealership is certainly making a ton of money off of the cabin filters I buy on discount from RockAuto and install myself....

.. and I definitely notice a difference, so they clearly provide a real benefit.

Yes the friendly little Stealership filter and install cost is like $43 and change. I did it for $8 and it it took less that five minutes.

I change mine every 6 months. They get about or more dirty than that. I picked up a Bosch Hepa unit to try out. I heard it reduces airflow but curious to see if I notice a difference.

Clearly you don't live anywhere with significant pollen or dust.

NC is already turning yellow.

For 90 years drivers survived just fine without them. And don't you breath in pollen anytime you open a door or roll down the window? Or drive with the top down?

My car that doesnt have a cabin filter when the fan is first turned on bits of leaves and dust shoot out from the vents.

For 90 years drivers survived just fine without them.....
Point noted. I have an older Tacoma with no CAF, honestly I don't notice a difference in cabin environment from my vehicles using one. I suppose there may be or are some, just none that I've been able to discern. So when I purchase CAFs I buy the least expensive ones I can find similar to/same as oem. Latest purchase, standard Premium Guard 2 pack in Parts Plus boxes $12 Amazon, gone up since. I probably change 20-25k miles.

No doubt though that CAFs are great revenue producers for dealers, and imo and ime generally significantly overpriced for what they are.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
For 90 years drivers survived just fine without them.....
Point noted. I have an older Tacoma with no CAF, honestly I don't notice a difference in cabin environment from my vehicles using one. I suppose there may be or are some, just none that I've been able to discern. So when I purchase CAFs I buy the least expensive ones I can find similar to/same as oem. Latest purchase, standard Premium Guard 2 pack in Parts Plus boxes $12 Amazon, gone up since. I probably change 20-25k miles.

No doubt though that CAFs are great revenue producers for dealers, and imo and ime generally significantly overpriced for what they are.

Well after having the new charcoal filter in the car neither me or my asthmatic wife have noticed
the difference.

Last edited:
My 98 Silverado (no filter) has 45K miles on it. That tells you how frequently it gets driven. Often on startup it throws leaf or seed particles and dead bugs at my face.

I like having a filter in my newer car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back