Can't Complete Oil Change: Terrible Oil Filter Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to do my first oil change on my 2015 Toyota Highlander V6 since I've had it, but that ridiculous cartridge filter housing won't budge! Bought the Pennzoil #19906 filter removal tool for Toyota/Lexus, but rounded the 3/8" square hole off trying to loosen the filter cap. I was very careful to apply pressure just so, but the filter cap won't even begin to move.

I've got $45 in new synthetic oil and $8 in an OEM filter, but all for no good. I'm going to have to take this thing to the dealer to get an oil change. I surely wish Toyota had just put a real oil filter on this engine instead of an overly complicated cartridge style filter that's difficult to change.

Any last resort ideas on how I can change this filter before I give up and go to the dealer?

[Linked Image]

Buy a better tool - not one made of stamped steel.

Whoever changed the oil before you put the cap on too tight. It is not a fault if the design, nor is it "overly complicated." You're just frustrated.

The fault isn't the cartridge design, it's whoever installed the cap last. They are only supposed to be snugged down until it bottoms out, not torqued beyond that; it's the filter gasket that seals the unit and keeps it from coming loose, not the cap torque. Someone overtightened it and perhaps forgot to put oil on the gasket.

Cartridges are far more convenient IMO.

Last edited:
I broken a spot weld in a similar oil filter cap removal tool.

There are some adjustable 3 jaw cap removal tools that will work. Band wrench. Beat a screwdriver through it. Then turn.

I never toss any oil filter removal tool and got my Dads when he passed away. So I have a lot.

Last edited:
Use a wrench or socket on the hex part of the tool. I broke two aluminum versions of that cap wrench. Since then, I loosen with a socket on the hex and reinstall snug with a shortish ratchet in the 3/8" hole.

I work under a Vibe driven up on two-by-sixes, so it's hard to get much leverage.

X2 on having a spare housing on hand. After the tool breaking incident, my original was pretty roughed up.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
Excited to do my first oil change on my 2015 Toyota Highlander V6 since I've had it, but that ridiculous cartridge filter housing won't budge! Bought the Pennzoil #19906 filter removal tool for Toyota/Lexus, but rounded the 3/8" square hole off trying to loosen the filter cap. I was very careful to apply pressure just so, but the filter cap won't even begin to move.

I've got $45 in new synthetic oil and $8 in an OEM filter, but all for no good. I'm going to have to take this thing to the dealer to get an oil change. I surely wish Toyota had just put a real oil filter on this engine instead of an overly complicated cartridge style filter that's difficult to change.

Any last resort ideas on how I can change this filter before I give up and go to the dealer?

[Linked Image]

This is exactly what this cassette oil filter was designed for.

Originally Posted by Donald
I broken a spot weld in a similar oil filter cap removal tool.

There are some adjustable 3 jaw cap removal tools that will work. Band wrench. Beat a screwdriver through it. Then turn.

I never toss any oil filter removal tool and got my Dads when he passed away. So I have a lot.

Once you jam a screwdriver thru it, you are committed - you must complete the chore. And what if you don't have room to leverage it out? The other suggestions are better - starting with a quality cap tool.

Last edited:
Use the hex socket! The square hole will easily be rounded unless it's reinforced with thick, hard metal (I have such one -- plastic with thick, hard metal center -- which is my favorite).

If it still doesn't work, get a different one. I have several different ones -- I had bought a metal one which I didn't like much when I had a cartridge-type oil filter on a newer Corolla and I had a plastic one with a rounded hole in addition to my favorite -- plastic with the thick, hard metal center.

It'll work. Keep the spirits up.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Use the hex socket!

This, I use the same cap to change the oil in the V6 Venza.
Use a socket over the big nut on the cap, not the inside 3/8" drive.
Looks like a 24mm socket or so will work.

Return the filter cap wrench you purchased and buy a good one. Don't mess with channel locks and the like unless you have a spare cover in hand. Ed

Good advice, gentlemen, on using the hex portion of the removal tool rather than the 3/8 hole. I'll try that. I'm glad Scotty Kilmer also can't make sense of why Toyota uses this weird system when a can filter has worked so well for us for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back