2002 4Runner Antenna Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like an idiot, I forgot to lower my powered antenna down before I went through the car wash yesterday. It did not break. It's bent. It will got up 3/4 of the way and down 3/4 of the way. I am gonna replace it.
I'm only gonna use Toyota OEM. When I look online, it appears a different antenna has superseded the metal powered mast that I have now. It looks like the replacement it a black solid shaft.

1. Can I still purchase one like the original?

2. Do I have to take the fender liner loose to just replace the shaft?

I don't know the answer but I know there are a lot of 4Runner or Toyota forums that are more knowledgable about this topic since that is ONLY what they dealt with.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Like an idiot, I forgot to lower my powered antenna down before I went through the car wash yesterday. It did not break. It's bent. It will got up 3/4 of the way and down 3/4 of the way. I am gonna replace it.
I'm only gonna use Toyota OEM. When I look online, it appears a different antenna has superseded the metal powered mast that I have now. It looks like the replacement it a black solid shaft.

1. Can I still purchase one like the original?

2. Do I have to take the fender liner loose to just replace the shaft?

1. Yes you can. Here's one option: 4Runner antenna mast

2. Possibly. You need to remove the bezel nut, and old antenna mast and cable. There are how-to instructions on the linked website. IF once you remove the mast and attached cable the old cable is shorter than the new cable, you have a broken piece of cable in the housing that must be removed. In that case you need to get the motor out from behind the fender liner, and open it up and remove any broken pieces of the nylon cable left in the motor housing. I would put a little fresh white lithium grease in the housing, and reinstall it back behind the fender liner, and then follow the instructions as to how to feed the cable and antenna mast into the motor.

It's really not that hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back