Just did CVT service on 2016 Rogue (No Dipstick) Any Questions? !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as title states, I just got done doing the CVT service on the 2016 Gen 2 Rogue. I used the proper special tool Charge Adapter and a power fill pro to add fluid through the torque converter housing plug. Monitored temp of fluid and reset the cvt degenerate date. Basically did a Nissan Dealer service using the FSM and it went very smooth. If anyone has any questions I would love to help. I really enjoyed doing this and after about 120 worth of tools for the job it will now be just fluid going forward.

Ask Away

How did the fluid look? Did you drop the pan/clean the magnets? I believe there's also a cartridge filter/gasket you can replace as well. (31526-3vx0a and 31726-3xx0a). I'll be doing this service as well on our 2017 Rogue Sport. However, I'll just drain and replace the fluid and install a new filter cartridge/gasket. I made a modified transmission dipstick so I have a cold and hot reading from the factory fill. If you recall, about how much fluid came out? (Cold/warm transmission?) Good you did this! We really like our CVT Rogue Sport and want to keep it for a very long time hopefully. Bill

the procedure is approx 3 Quarts 4oz each time you drain the pain. So I am assuming that is about what comes out. I did not measure. Fluid was dark and I did it at 36000 miles. In total I had to use 9 full quarts and open a 10th bottle to complete the service as per the FSM procedure. Initial drain was on a barely warmed engine. The rest of the drain and fills were done with CVT temp of 105 degrees F.

I did not drop pan or change any filters on this go around

Last edited:
What scanner are you using?

We have a 2015 rogue and when the powerfrain warranty is up i'm probably going to suck out the old fluid from the top and replace what i take out.

Which fluid did you use?

FYI theres a service campaign to increase cvt oil pressure to supposely reduce failures.

Thanks for the info! So when I do this procedure, on the initial (warm transmission) drain, I should get out the same amount (3 QT/4 oz.) if my factory fill is the same as yours. Did you do this procedure on car ramps? I'll most certainly do at least 2-3 drain the fills. Thanks once again.

@Kage860

I am using an Autel scanner DS808, I used the factory Nissan NS-3 fluid. I was not aware of that campaign and will look into it

I believe there are much cheaper scanners that will give that data pid though

Last edited:
I did it level on 4 jack stands. The first step of the procedure is to ensure tempature of CVT is below 104 ( no range given ) just below 104. I drained at about 85 degrees. Then next step is refill approx 3 1/8 quarts of fluid. After that first refill you then have to start engine and shift thru gears and get fluid between 95 and 113. I stopped at 105. You then drain again. Repeat this one more time and do a final fill of 3 1/8 quarts. Then you check level through overflow hole while engine is idiling.

I do not know if filling thru dipstick hole will have same results as where I filled it though

Last edited:
Did you notice a HUGE difference in how the CVT acts after a transmission service?

All the hard shifting in my Nissan Note CVT vanished after the service, It was very noticeable.

I don't know what differences there are between a 2016 Rogue's CVT and my 2016 Nissan Quest's CVT in terms of fluid service, but I get about 4qts per cold drain. I refill through the 'dipstick' tube the same amount that came out, then verify warm level by the level check plug. Super easy on the quest as you can get at everything without ramps or stands.

@Vern I did not notice a difference but then again I dod this service very early in the transmissions life

@csandste ... sometimes the best service is your own!

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I want to know how you reset the CVT fluid deterioration number in the computer?

Autel has a function for this item in their OEM specific software.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by KGMtech
I want to know how you reset the CVT fluid deterioration number in the computer?

Autel has a function for this item in their OEM specific software.

I wonder if the OEM system is what Nissan refers to as "CONSULT".

Per my 2016 Nissan's OM:

For all Nissans equipped with a CVT

"Replace the CVT fluid every 60,000mi or request the dealer to inspect the fluid deterioration data using a CONSULT. If the deterioration data is more than 210000, replace the CVT fluid."

If it's just some sort of counter/monitor, someone like myself who's done simple CVT dain/fills could still show a number indicating a fluid change is needed, when it's not I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back