Tough As....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on this today...and was told the camchain might need adjustment as it was a bit rattly. I doubt if there would be 20mm there. Runs great now....

WP_20190315_08_20_28_Pro.jpg

I promise you, the Amsoil is not the only reason its still running, those particular Honda engines are tough as nails. I have personally ran them on GTX 20W50 until the cylinder got packed with mud and it overheated until the engine quit running. After digging the packed mud out of the fins on the head and cylinder with a stick and a cooling off period, it ran for a few more years without smoking or incident.

If a cam chain is making noise because it is loose, you will hear a cam chain. If you have it running dry for heavens sake like this poor bike, you will hear a cam chain.
smile.gif

Is it sludgy? May be beneficial to change it another time or two. I have Amsoil Metric Motorcycle 10W-40 in my little Honda bike. It's great stuff.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have no idea how much oil a bike like that would normally hold, but that basically looks like a few drops...wow!!!

My Honda XL75 holds .95 quart. I just dump the whole bottle in it.

Last edited:
Had enough time to finish it off today....it seems to be a bit of a smoker. It will still be an easy sell.

Originally Posted by EricG
I promise you, the Amsoil is not the only reason its still running, those particular Honda engines are tough as nails. I have personally ran them on GTX 20W50 until the cylinder got packed with mud and it overheated until the engine quit running. After digging the packed mud out of the fins on the head and cylinder with a stick and a cooling off period, it ran for a few more years without smoking or incident.

+1 great story

If a 4 stroke air cooled air quits running because it overheated to the point of piston seizure, there will be piston and cylinder wall galling...It may run ok and not smoke but it'll also be down on cylinder pressure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back