4L80E build

Ok I'm just going to pretend.... thanks man!
No clue what you just said there buddy but will try to figure this out before next pic . Isn't there a rotate option somewhere here?

[Linked Image]

Took the time to build an 80E specific pump puller before cleaning up the lathe and mill.

What is the difference when they include the U D or A
I notice several parts have this
[Linked Image]

Cline do you have a std WIT 4l80E shopping cart?
Seems like I'm wasting a bunch of time because I have their catalog printed out and when I enter the part number onto their site I get several options that looks like more than 1 are correct for a 2000 unit.
The ck sonnax and transgo parts are straight forward but WIT is another story.

On the 2 speed sensors.....Call them as they carry OE Delco & Rostra. I buy my electronics from a local GM dealer except for internal harnesses.....The Rostra ones from WIT are good quality at a good price.

U34960EK is the piston kit I use.

Cline did the 2000 unit have a 2 lug 4th basket or 8 lug? Mine has a 2 lug pressure plate but on wit exploded view parts drawings they show it one way for the housing and the other for the pressure plate.since I have to replace all of these parts and since who knows what the last guy did I just as well straighten it out now.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This unit has the 8661271 housing with a 2 lug pressure plate
[Linked Image]

After some searching they do have their casting numbers reversed.

Next question
Will I need the transgo 4-plt-01 or does the ck relalbration kit have what I need.

FYI wit has the 48-act-tl @ $136.51 summit has it $89.99

The "Doweled/2-lug" 4th Clutch Pressure plate was put into production mid way through 1999 along with a lot of other changes. The common belief is that ALL changes were made with the Lubrication changes in 1997.

8661271 is the 4th Clutch Piston number NOT the 4th Clutch Housing number. 8661271 fits ALL year 4L80E's.
24215124 is the current GM part number for the '99 & up 4th Clutch Housing.
24205818 is the current GM part number for the '99 & up 4th Clutch Pressure Plate.

The CK kit comes with a separator plate......TransGo 48-PLT-01 will not be needed!

Cline The wit parts have been ordered. got a couple questions before I order the CK/Sonnax/Transgo parts
Is the Sonnax 34322-02K an acceptable substitution for the CK 4L80CC/BFCH-A Rollerized hub? its $80 cheaper

Is the TCI bushing kit 278685 an acceptable substitution for the Wit off shore bushing kit?

Any preference on assembly jel?

I'm looking at some 80E cores for future projects.... assuming that they are in decent shape internally what is the best vintage range to start with for 500-800 hp

? Since the reaction carrier thrust is fubr'd is there any down falls to rollerizing this with the 350 rear pump roller and selectives? After reading more articles in gears magazine it appears to be a good upgrade.
Thoughts?
I also notice that this one don't have the silencer ring do you use them?
[Linked Image]

Sonnax 34322-02K Forward Hub must be a relatively new product, I haven't personally used one yet. Sonnax makes quality components so I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

FYI.....
Let's keep in mind that Steel OE 4L80E Forward Hubs are pretty stout.....It's the Cast TH400 one that strips out at the Main Shaft spline interface & The main shaft can pound on & wear on the end of the broaching where it sits against the main shaft.
That's why I have no issues rollerizing a OE 4L80E hub 'til north of 800 RWTQ when a Billet one becomes good insurance.

Rollerized 4L80E Hub on the left, And a cast TH400 Hub on the right that got culled because main shaft induced wear......

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I don't use TCI as a vendor, If their bushings are Clevite or Federal Mogul, Use with confidence!
The off-shore Seal Aftermarket one's seem to be holding up quite well, I don't like off-shore parts either......I pick my battles though....As i don't have the time or the profit margins to source OE bushings on every build.

I use SPX Trans-Jel Red assembly lube, Though I have used Lubegard Assemblee-Goo Blue & like it too.....These are Light Tack Lubes!

Trans-Jel Gold & Assemblee-Goo Green are High Tack....These are not needed. And do not recommend with Felt media Trans Filters!

P10crew said:
? Since the reaction carrier thrust is fubr'd is there any down falls to rollerizing this with the 350 rear pump roller and selectives? After reading more articles in gears magazine it appears to be a good upgrade.
Thoughts?
I also notice that this one don't have the silencer ring do you use them?

This one can be debated to death.....And no one would be right or wrong.

That particular failure IS 99% of the time from overheating coupled with lack of lubrication, With some excessive radial run-out! . The Reaction Carrier ONLY thrusts into the Output Carrier in First Gear & Reverse! This operation duty cycle is so small in the whole scheme of things that ALL 4L80E's had plastic Thrust Washers at this location from the factory! And most live through multiple rebuilds without failure.

To save that Reaction Carrier.....You would have to machine a bearing pocket & use a TH350 pump bearing because the Thrust Surface got tore-up. Even then I would be concerned that steel,bronze,copper,tin debris got into the Pinion Rollers of both carriers.

Christoforos Kokkinos.....The Owner of CK Performance pioneered MANY TH400/4L80E performance modifications & techniques, And I believe this was one of them if the article you read didn't give him credit?

I have a lot of respect for Chris, But his technical information doesn't necessarily apply to every application!

The Silencer Ring was eliminated right around '94/'95.....I use them on ALL 4L80E/TH400 builds to help control Radial Run-Out of the Reaction Carrier & Help the Reaction Carrier Bushing live longer.

The "Self Lubricating" Thrust Washer that CK sends in their calibration kit is a nice piece IF you still have Reaction Carrier end-play with it installed!! Chris specified a thicker than stock washer here because end-play is NORMALLY excessive. But that's not always the case with every unit!

If the CK washer ends up tightening to end-play to much (Less than .005").....Run a Brass Output Thrust Washer between the Reaction & Output Carriers & recheck end-play.
If now excessive (Over .015")......Tighten it to .010" with Sonnax 34006-05 Shims.

The Brass Thrust requires MORE end-play than the CK Thrust minimum of .005"!!

Here's a tech article on TH400/4L80E end-play....... HERE

Cline thanks for prompting me to take a closer look at the planets. Gear end play ranges from .012" to .016". There is no detectable play between the planet gears and the needles. Both ring gears are mint. What concerns me is that the sun gear is a touch loose on its shaft and it is apparent that the sun gear wobbles(or is misaligned) slightly during operation. This shows as uneven wear across the tooth face (font- rear). Maybe this is normal?

Using high magnification the broach marks (or tooling marks) are still proud and apparent about 90% of the way across the mated area with notable wear at the edge mated area. Not real sure if I should cull this or not. There is notable clearance between the sungear shaft and the main. Main shaft looks good. Since its probably bad news to replace only the sun gear and sun gear shaft its probably a cull.

The Sun Gear to Sun Gear Shaft interface is a loose slip fit. I rarely have to cull these two parts for spline/broach wear. Can you snap some pics of the spline wear?

The Sun Gear Shaft Bushings are a major wear point as they support the entire weight of the Direct Drum & Intermediate Sprag.....Then the weight is transferred to the Center Support Bushing.....Check for a wear lip!

With the addition of center fed lubrication in '97....The change to Fluted Sun Gear Shaft Bushings was necessitated for proper lube distribution. I've seen builders use early Non-Fluted bushings for better support, Do not make that mistake!

Back