PENRITE ATF Full Syn or similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a DEX3 comparable ATF but I want a synthetic, and looking at the data sheet, It seems that this Penrite ATF fits the bill.
PENRITE ATFwww.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/ATF%20FS%20(Full%20Syn.).pdf
However , on the datasheet it says it is also Dex VI compatible. But I thought that DEX VI must have lower 100C cst than the rated 7.4 ? Are there similar ATF with full syn base oil yet with DEX3 levels of 100C viscosity ?

Also with the current fill in my ATF being DEX 3 dino, Would a drain and fill of the pan of about 2 quarts at a go , be ok for the toyota a340e ?That means I will be mixing and diluting the current DEX 3 fluid for about a 100km and repeating the process about 3 times for a complete change.
I am planning to start with the power steering first though just to see if the Syn ATF will improve the steering assist when the fluid is hot, as i suspect the DEX3 dino is shearing down.

Last edited:
If you can find a DEXRON VI licensed fluid it would be a sure bet at least it's a licensed with guaranteed performance it's also just as viscous and it is compatible with DEX III.

This Penrite ATF (or any TES 295 recommended above) is a good selection for it's combination of Dexron III's high KV100*C and Dexron VI/ATF+4's shear stability.

Originally Posted by zeng
This Penrite ATF (or any TES 295 recommended above) is a good selection for it's combination of Dexron III's high KV100*C and Dexron VI/ATF+4's shear stability.

Indeed the KV100 is my utmost concern when switching from dino DEX3 to a full syn ATF. I dont want to shock the system so to speak. Amsoil is my other choice though. Does Pennzoil make a similiar fluid ? I find it hard to get pennzoil datasheets for ATF.

Originally Posted by dave1251
What is the current CST of the fluid in the transmission now?

If I am not mistaken DEX 3 standard is not less than 7.5cst when new.

Originally Posted by alcyon
Originally Posted by zeng

Indeed the KV100 is my utmost concern when switching from dino DEX3 to a full syn ATF. I dont want to shock the system so to speak. Amsoil is my other choice though. Does Pennzoil make a similiar fluid ? I find it hard to get pennzoil datasheets for ATF.

Other than possibly Pennzoil ATF+4 ,I would speculate other Pennzoil ATF isn't available in 'full synthetic AND KV100*C of 7.4 cSt' , hence it's no match for this Penrite ATF IMHO.

Originally Posted by alcyon
Originally Posted by dave1251
What is the current CST of the fluid in the transmission now?

If I am not mistaken DEX 3 standard is not less than 7.5cst when new.

This is new it shears within 10K miles if Penrite is your most cost effective option go for it but if you can get a licensed DEX VI or a reputable DEXRON/MERCON LV offering from an established blender don't hesitate to use it. Its not going to be lower viscosity then used DEX III or equivalent the transmission was originally tested with.

Ok here is the story so far. I did the turkey baster method of draining and refilling. The 1st drain the old fluid was pitch black. I refilled 260ml of this Penrite ATF. Drove the car around for 15mins. Pulled reservoir fluid out and its still dark. Refilled 280ml. Drove around. On the 3rd time, still the same. Refilled 280ml. Drove around. Pulled the fluid, still dark. I shined my torch light at the back of the container, the light wouldn't go through. So refilled a 4th time and called it a day. Total drained and filled is 1100ml. The total capacity for my car is said to be 800ml. So far no improvement in steering assist feel, though the pump seems to be quieter. I also noticed black deposits on the wall of the reservoir. It looks like the heated up Penrite ATF is slowly cleaning up these deposits as they seem to be clearing up. For the following week, I plan to keep the 4th fill in longer and heat cycle the fluid several times, and do few more drain and fills to clear up the fluid. Hopefully i can get it to clear up at no more than 2.5L of fluid, and hopefully my P.S temps go down and i get more assistance out of the system.

20190317_213847.jpg

20190317_214616.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back