Dodge Hemi Lifter/Cam failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just diagnosed my 5th one this year, 2-2009's, 2010, 2011, And a 2012 today! Waiting on authorization to pull both heads & the camshaft.

Seems like an inordinately high amount for a general repair facility that works on more Ford Super Duties than any other Model/Make combined due to our Fleet accounts.

Anybody else experiencing this trend? I'm sure Dodge dealer techs see a lot of this failure.....Wondering how wide-spread this is?

I basically work on only ford medium duty diesel trucks at my current job so I have been out of the loop a bit. However I have done a couple of those over the years at my old job

Last edited:
A mechanic buddy says he has seen his fair share. Thankfully I never ran into it during my 150,000km with the 2011.

My dealer has done a few, though none of the tech's I've spoken to refer to it as "common".

Cue burla, as he's all over this.

Also worth mentioning: They've never done one, or heard of it happening on the SRT 6.4L, despite the lifters being the same part #.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
I work at a Ram dealership. I'll ask the service manager on his experience.

Lots of Dodge vehicles in your BITOG Signature and you will ask an insider ?
Clinebarger is one of the top ten members here IMO … don't disappoint him/us …

We've had 3-4 out of a fleet of 40 or so eat cams. I noticed the other day that a few of our 2016 Chargers are starting to tick. I'm sure they're not far behind.

Of course, this is just what I've seen/heard over the last few years. Not my responsibility though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

Huh?

Sounds like you're insulting me...

I'll just withdraw my offer.

Last edited:
I don't know how common it is but the various MOPAR and Jeep forums have tons of posts about it. I think it's just the older 5.7 liter HEMIs, prior to 2014 or so. My buddy just lost a cam lobe in his Jeep Grand Cherokee (2012?)

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My dealer has done a few, though none of the tech's I've spoken to refer to it as "common".

Also worth mentioning: They've never done one, or heard of it happening on the SRT 6.4L, despite the lifters being the same part #.....

I'm not sold on it being a lifter problem, The surface hardening or lack-of on the Camshaft is where my theory lies. Every Hemi failure I've seen is on a Cast Iron core (Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron) which is a fancy way of saying Cast Iron with hardened work surfaces.

Pre-MDS 5.7L Hemi's used 5150 Billet lobes & journals pressed onto a hollow tube. I had a isolated incident with with one of these on a Mopar Performance Crate engine......Number 3 cam bearing was installed/clocked incorrectly from the factory, Starving the journal of oil. The cam journal seized to the bearing causing the journal to break loose from the tube.....Not before shearing the cam gear locating dowel causing the cam gear to rotate about 30 degrees out of time.
Mopar warrantied the engine!

Originally Posted by 4WD

What kind of flaming is this? He offers to find out more info on the subject and this is your reply?

Ok, PC police don't like it … Or there's an alleged offense to something or somebody …
Flames ? Really ? … What happened to put your money where your mouth is … Not buying a product but I'm sure selling it ? Oh, and the FCA service manager will be objective … ? Carry on …

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'm not sold on it being a lifter problem, The surface hardening or lack-of on the Camshaft is where my theory lies. Every Hemi failure I've seen is on a Cast Iron core (Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron) which is a fancy way of saying Cast Iron with hardened work surfaces.

Pre-MDS 5.7L Hemi's used 5150 Billet lobes & journals pressed onto a hollow tube. I had a isolated incident with with one of these on a Mopar Performance Crate engine......Number 3 cam bearing was installed/clocked incorrectly from the factory, Starving the journal of oil. The cam journal seized to the bearing causing the journal to break loose from the tube.....Not before shearing the cam gear locating dowel causing the cam gear to rotate about 30 degrees out of time.
Mopar warrantied the engine!

Supposedly the SRT cores are SADI as well though...
21.gif
My theory is spring pressure, as that's the major difference, the SRT's have heavier springs. I'm thinking light springs causes float, hammers the roller, roller sticks, breaks through the hardening on the lobe, and boom, it's a hot mess. I've seen a roller fail on a billet shaft and the cam faired surprisingly well in comparison.

Enough float (which rollers hate) could also cause the pin for the roller to shift, jamming up the roller.

Back when I was big into the SBF scene a ton of aftermarket sticks, including the one I ran for a stint, the TFS #1, were SADI. If you bought a custom grind, you could get billet, but a very large cross-section of the aftermarket cams were SADI and nobody was wiping lobes unless a link-bar broke and the lifter rotated.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Have any 6.4s been impacted?

As far as I am aware, only the "truck" 6.4L, which has the same springs as the 5.7L.

What a shame was REALLY interested in a 2011+ Hemi police pkg as a future daily. But heard/read nothing but bad things about the "hemi cam lifter issues" and most of the surplus auctions have them listed as "engine issues"

Dave

Last edited:
It's a common issue but just uncommon enough that owners downplay it. It's the MDS lifters/lobes that fail.

GM has similar problems with engines losing lifters/cams in their DOD engines. But they usually seem to hold up longer. Funny though, LS engines were usually getting 200k easy before maybe a roller lifter might start to have a problem. Ah, the good old days. I'm glad my CTS-V doesn't have any of that B S cylinder shut down lifter nonsense,

Part of why I traded mine in. I saw an alarming number fail in a short period in a few different Facebook groups in a part of. And the track record of my 2011 Durango was "something expensive once a year" at that point. I had to replace the water pump 2,000 miles after I bought it in 2014 at 57k miles, this was/is such a problem FCA extended the warranty on the water pumps to 10 years/unlimited mileage, but only for 2013-2017 models. Then the brake booster failed. Then the fuel pump failed. THEN the friggin AC compressor seized.

One of my friends with a 2013 and the lifetime Mopar Maxcare warranty had his cam and lifters replaced under warranty not too long ago. His started as a misfire only under WOT.

The v6 will also eat a cam lobe, but that's usually caused by the rocker failing. If you catch it early enough, it's hard to miss a loud tapping noise, you can replace the rockers without removing the camshafts.

You will be fine, judging by the cubic inch engine in your signature.

It's these metric engines that seem to be affected ;-)

Besides, the affected 6.4s appear to be restricted to Ram engines from what I see, but I don't work on modern gasser engines very much anymore, so I'm not completely up to date on their afflictions.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Have any 6.4s been impacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back