Oil that has Jaso MA2 is equivalent to which API grade??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i interest in one motorcycle oil brand that produces locally, but I have check with them they say that they got JASO MA2 standard since they are Japanese brand, and they told me that is similar to API SN level if they apply for the test.

The reason I ask is that all the bike that i own require API standard SN SJ..so on. (BMW r1200gs, Burgman 650, BMW r ninet)
This oil got my attention with PAO + Ester at a reasonable price.
66b9694fdc3d587962fbd873657c5992

So my question is: JAso MA2 is equivalent to which API grade??

Thank you

Not sure that JASO and API specs are comparable at all, just based on the different requirements that they've been designed for. IIRC, JASO MA/MA2 specs are primarily there to ensure sufficient friction is there to help with shared sump/wet clutch applications. By comparison, most API specs want as little friction as possible to help with max fuel economy requirements.

With that said, from API perspective, an Xw-40 grade oil isn't subject to the same strict fuel economy requirements as lower grades, but still, I'm not aware of any kind of kind of equivalency between JASO and API. Maybe someone else will chime in with more insight.

The JASO MA/MA2 in any weight will be fine in any bike ever made. SN grade oils (API rating) should be fine in any grade that is Xw40 and higher (5w40, 10w40, 15w40, 15w50, 20w50). Those are not energy conserving and don't have the potential friction modifiers that are in oils of Xw30 and lower (5w30, 10w30).

Originally Posted by firstime911
Hi,...

So my question is: JAso MA2 is equivalent to which API grade??

Thank you

Jaso rated oil can be any oil rated SG or better or any number of other classifications so you will not know unless it's on the bottle.

here is the source

Last edited:
Thank you very much, so i can happily try this oil now, knowing my bike requires SG/ SL graded API
which is prerequisite for JASO MA2

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM

Thank you very much, so i can happily try this oil now, knowing my bike requires SG/ SL graded API which is prerequisite for JASO MA2.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM

It also must meet the following friction tests as the bulletin points out. If the oil bottle doesn't have a JASO rating, then it hasn't been tested, or didn't meet the required friction tests.

Yes, if it meets JASO MA/MA1/MA2, then it automatically means it meets the reqired API rating prerequisites.

"Furthermore, the motor oil's Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI), Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) and Stop
Time Index (STI) should be within the following limits according to the JASO 904:2006 friction test."

Thank you very much, so i can happily try this oil now, knowing my bike requires SG/ SL graded API
which is prerequisite for JASO MA2

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM

Incorrect, re-read the link I provided or the one zeeo has provided.
Oh never mind, here it is :eek:)

the oil has to meet ONE of these, it can be any ONE of the 14 ratings below;
(again, chances are its on the bottle)

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

So for example, an oil can be rated C3 or GF1 ect and be Jaso MA 2 with no API of SG or better.

Last edited:
As long as the oil bottle references the JASO spec that your cycle's manual calls out, then it meets all the requirements as layed out by the JASO requirements documents.

Most cycle owner's manuals will just say "JASO MA" and not break it down to the sub groups of "MA1" or "MA2". Which probably means any oil that says JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 is going to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back