Gasket Material Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farpak is a Fiber gasket soaked with a heat activated sealant. As they must be kept & shipped FLAT.....They are not common in the aftermarket.
GM 4L60E/4L65E units come with a very similar pan gasket from the factory.

Back in the 90's I worked at a shop and did many trans services. The filter kits we used said " champ" on them. They had some sort of compressed cardboard gasket in the kit.

I never had one leak. I can't remember any of the other guys having a comeback from leaking either. I have never seen those kits ever again and to this day I have no idea exactly what exactly those gaskets were made from.

Out of those 2 Farpak would be my choice, check Lube Locker site for a rubber coated steel shim gasket. Be careful with tightening to torque specs if using an aftermarket gasket of a different type from OE eg Some vehicles use a reusable rubber coated shim gasket torqued to x but if you toss it and use a floppy rubber one and torque it up to spec the gasket will spread out and possibly leak, just snug and a hair with these.

https://www.lubelocker.com/

Never dealt with a OEM-type gasket outside of Toyota. On a friend's Explorer with the 5R55E, I used the cork gasket Puro supplied with a coating of high-tack on the pan side to keep it in one place. It was the only thing in that box that was American made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back