Subaru filter CUT OPEN

I'm sure it's the extra guard equivalent, with a nitrile adbv. I'd say it's a good indication that nitrile vs. silicone isn't the huge deal we make of it, since several auto and filter manufacturers use nitrile even when cost is not an issue. Subaru knows certain people will use "Subaru" filters even at $8-9 each, yet they chose nitrile at $6-7. That tells me there is no real difference where the rubber meets the mating surface.

I'm sure it's the extra guard equivalent, with a nitrile adbv.....
So the topic Subaru oem is ~95%@20um same as the Orange can is rated? In the case of similar design and manufacturer Honda A02, best data point evidence shows them much less efficient than equivalent EG/TG and closer to other Asian oem filters.

As for nitrile vs silicone adbv, while arguably not a huge issue silicone is the superior material for adbvs. Otherwise, Fram sure wasting much money and time promoting the newish silicone adbv on the EG.

Filter looks like it performed well for the 6k oci. Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
18 Forester Premium, mom's first shot at the Pleiades, after finally turning her from the GM dark side. This came off at 20,020 miles and was the 5th change. It's been previously done at the Subaru dealer and she paid the $69 for the synthetic oil change, so I assume this was the Subaru branded 0w20. I stuck PP 0w20 and a Napa Gold 7055 on it, which will be pulled off in about 3 weeks at 26k.

Thanks for the C&P Adam!

Rockauto has the Wix version of the NAPA filter. I bought 5 and shipped to my house ended up being right at $3.50/filter.

I just checked and it looks like the price has gone up a tad but still a good option.

The Napa Gold 7055 is $3.50 per during the Farm & Fleet sale, and none of that RockAuto shipping shenanigans.

WOW that is a great price!
Not a huge fan of that filter due to the square seal, but the construction is rock solid and even I would buy some at that price. I bought one for my daughter's car (well, the Wix 57055) at O'Reilly when I couldn't get to the Subaru dealer before it closed after I realized my Tokyo Rokis wouldn't fit...she needed the car to go back to school the next day.

When did Subaru go to a different (taller) filter? I remember back when I got my WRX the two choices for the newer cars were basically a short and wide one, or the smaller one they spec'ed for the turbo models to get them a bit away from the exhaust. They were supposedly interchangeable.

I bought a case of Wix 57712 filters and thought that if I got another Subaru maybe they'd be compatible even if it spec'ed a standard sized filter. However, I look up the specs on the new version and it's 27 psi compared to the previous 23.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
When did Subaru go to a different (taller) filter? I remember back when I got my WRX the two choices for the newer cars were basically a short and wide one, or the smaller one they spec'ed for the turbo models to get them a bit away from the exhaust. They were supposedly interchangeable.

I bought a case of Wix 57712 filters and thought that if I got another Subaru maybe they'd be compatible even if it spec'ed a standard sized filter. However, I look up the specs on the new version and it's 27 psi compared to the previous 23.

The Tokyo Roki filters I use in my FXT (ends in 170) are short and wide ones speced for the 2015+ WRX, and I read somewhere that they needed them for hood clearance in that model with the new top filter mount location. There is a TR filter ending in 160 that is tall and narrow that came on my FXT and my daughter's Impreza when new, and that one is pretty similar in size to the Fram blue can that the US dealers use. It was pretty hard to find the 160 filters in the US when I was looking a couple of years ago, but I did find a good source for the 170s on Amazon that was under $5/filter with shipping when purchased in quantity...I think I have maybe 8 left. That source dried up a while ago...

And what's the problem with that, Passat? The filter obviously did exactly what it was designed to do, and looks like it could have easily gone double the mileage with no issues. The only reason oil and filter are changed at 6k is because of warranty, once it's out in another 78k miles it will likely go to PP 5w30 and 7055 filter for 10k+, but I'd have no problem running the Subaru filter for 10k after seeing what this one looked like.

And what's the problem with that, Passat? The filter obviously did exactly what it was designed to do, and looks like it could have easily gone double the mileage with no issues. The only reason oil and filter are changed at 6k is because of warranty, once it's out in another 78k miles it will likely go to PP 5w30 and 7055 filter for 10k+, but I'd have no problem running the Subaru filter for 10k after seeing what this one looked like.

Because on BITOG, people love to bash on the OCOD and will only provide praise for the Ultra

My dilemma now is, Subaru extended the power train warranty to 10 yr 100K. I think Im stuck doing oil changes twice a year even though I drive less than 5K a year...

SubieRubyRoo said above, "The filter obviously did exactly what it was designed to do, and looks like it could have easily gone double the mileage with no issues."

How do you know it did exactly what it was designed to do? In fact, do you (or anyone else) know what it's designed to do?
All we can tell is that the media pleats looks good and straight.

Hard to prove unless the manufacturer specifically says on their website, or someone does a freezer test to verify cold flexibility.
I did the freezer test on a Toyota black adbv and it wasn’t hardened. So it’s silicone? Not necessarily, there are all sorts of nitriles and everyone making it can end up with something different. Toyota ends up with a pliable adbv whether it is silicone or nitrile by my testing.

Back